Thread: Propane cigarette lighters

Default Butane and Propane cigarette lighters

It's all ways amazes me when many of the "Survival" channels on YouTube show they carry Butane or Propane Cigarette lighters in their Survival and/or Go packs. I have not seen any that don't show a color body one. I had all ways recommended a "clear" one. Many cigarette lighters leak especially over time. It's no time to find out your cigarette lighter is out of fuel when you needed the most. When checking you packs it's easy to tell if your cigarette lighter needs replacing.
    Last edited by ricksar; 10-12-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Welcome to the forum again.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah, I definitely get what you mean. I bet Bear Grylls is smoking nervously in the corner, lol. I have to say that you've nailed it and noticed indeed an issue that nobody thought about it. It's making me ask questions about the quality of these channels. Honestly, It's a kind of disappointment. Anyway, I wonder what you think about SPAM. How would you look at those protagonists of "survival" channels if they were vaping during shooting? I'm eagerly waiting for your opinions, even wild ones. Cheers!
    Last edited by Rick; 05-19-2022 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Removed Link

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Am I talking to a spambot? I hope not, but there is that definite possibility.

I like disposable lighters in my kits. I buy them by the 6 pack and throw them into ever nook and cranny in my Jeep and through the kits. There are probably twenty of them in the kitchen drawer and twenty more in the Jeep.

The more colorful the better!!! I want red and orange and bright blue and neon green so I can see them in dim light and not lose them around camp. If I need to know how much gas is left I can look at the opaque bottom. That method has worked since I saw my first Bic Cricket lighter.

I put a rubber band around the top and block the lever from spilling gas and if I have need for a fire starter I can use the rubber band to get things moving.

I also put them in zip lock bags if I think things might get wet or dicey. Sometimes they are in there with the books of matches I also keep around in the kits.

Once long ago I went to a very humid part of the world and tried to stay alive under very adverse conditions and disposable lighters had not been invented yet! (Yea, I am that old!) In fact, zip lock bags had not been invented yet, so things were doubly disastrous!

Everything got wet. The Zippos go wet, the Storm Kings got wet, the match books from the C-rats got wet and no one was furnishing lifeboat matches or even the big Blue Flame Kitchen matches.

And no one had ever heard of the ferro rods so popular today, which I assume you are about to try to sell us.

And if they had been around no one would have used them. You can't light your smokes with a ferro rod, and everyone smoked. You can't light a burn fuse with a ferro rod. I'm not sure if you can light a chunk of C4 with a ferro rod or not? Yea, we lit chunks of C4 to cook our rats. That was because if it is so wet it has soaked your matches and lighters you are sure not going to get a fire going with wet wood.

The "bushcraft" channels mostly advocate several methods of fire starting and recommend three, two of them being flame producing methods. That means lighters or matches. Except for You-tube and TV lighters and matches are still the first choice with the ferro rod being used as a desperate third choice method of fire starting.

Am I talking to a spambot? I sure hope not. Machines are so cold hearted and always want the conversation to go their way.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I buy my fire starters in packs and I too like bright colors. I even stole Crashdive123's method of keeping road flares in the truck. Too old to mess with bow drills, pistons, and the worst...hand drills. I want fire now. Maybe on a nice 72 degree day right after I got my nerve deadening spinal injections I'd do a little primitive stuff... then again, naw.

Back when I was a high school asst. principal, one of the main confiscated items was lighters of one kind or another. The kids couldn't have them at school and I'd take them up and tell them to ask their parents to come pick them up from me if they wanted them back.... I had lots of lighters. Picked up the last one 14 years ago and I still have 8 or 10 of them in a box out in the shop. Out of more than 100 I never had one go bad because it leaked. I've used them up, dropped them on the concrete and broken them, had the striker wheels disintegrate, etc. But, never a leak.

At some point I may have to actually go buy one of my own...

Alan

Dear Mr. McDaniel. Bill needs his lighter back as he finds it difficult to do his homework in the dark. Signed Bill's Mom. P.S. His buddy Phil's lighter as well as they do homework together.

Dear Bill's Mom, Thank you for your response. Doing his homework by "Lighter Light" certainly goes a long way in explaining the quality of Bill's homework... I will gladly return his lighter to him (and Phil's) as per your request, however I regret that his cigarettes were thrown away. Also the Sheriff's Department expressed an interest in the rolling papers and the small bag of "a green leafy substance", so I gave it to them. They said they wold be contacting you shortly to discuss that.

Thank you for being a concerned parent and contacting the school in such a timely manner (by 3rd period on the day the lighter, etc. were confiscated).

Sincerely, Bill's Asst. Principal

P.S. Bill's teacher suggested setting his homework on fire, as the excuse "my homework burned up" would be more believable than his previous excuses...

Dear Mr. Assistant Principal, Nevermind, I must have the wrong number.

Bill!!! You got some splainin to do.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Bill would never lie to his parents.....

Alan

I was on the wrestling team in high school. After a match in the neighboring county, we were in the locker room getting dressed and my zippo fell on to the floor. Coach walked over picked it up put it in his pocket and said, "Thanks, I been meaning to get a new lighter". Never saw that one again.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

Yea, we had a similar incident during a film involving a big wad of chew. The coach told the guy to swallow. No one chewed during films again.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Got a kid in the hallway once I was sure he had dip in his lip. I called him on it and he said it wasn't in his mouth. I asked what he did with it. He said, (as he was going green) "I swallowed it....". He was kinda starting to have those abdominal contraction sort of things .... I told him to go on to the restroom and not to let it happen again... From what I could hear it was a good thing we had a drain in the middle of the restroom floor....

Alan

Making a kid swallow dip is hardcore. Reminds me why I was always a rule-follower growing up.

Hmmm... Reminds me why I was a rule breaker...
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    Hmmm... Reminds me why I was a rule breaker...
    I'm shocked! Shocked I tell ya.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

While I was in the Navy, I dipped Skoal Wintergreen. That was a tough habit for me to kick. A few years later I was a substitute bus driver for extra money. One morning a kid cracked open a new can 2 seats behind me and before he could put his fingers in it I could smell it. I instantly shot a look in my mirror and his face gave it away. He had a fun talk with the school resource officer when we arrived... And I somehow resisted the Skoal. That was the biggest miracle!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten