Thread: From North Carolina: New to the site and prepping

Default From North Carolina: New to the site and prepping

Just a hello. I am less here for "SHTF" prepping and more because I have come to the stage where I am sick of paying more than half my income to landlords and utility companies and am moving off-grid, inch by inch. Looking for tips. I have got a camouflaged lean-to in a public greenway and a bug-out bag stashed a few hundred yards away from that. I am in-process of setting up a couple more sites. Right now looking for tips on using plentiful bamboo for a low lying shelter.

So you plan to go off-grid in a public greenway? How long do you expect that will last?

Welcome.

If you are paying more than 50% of your income for housing and living expenses you are paying too much. You either need to cut your expenses (I know that is your plan, but more on that below) or increase your income.

Not sure of the housing costs in your area, but renting may not be the best option. Buying and putting in some sweat equity might work for you.

Reducing costs needs to start with a budget......every penny. You need to know exactly where your money is going in order to figure out how to cut costs. You said electric was high. Does your utility company do free energy audits (many do). If so, you can find ways to reduce your electric bills. Evaluate everything. Insurance, cell phone plan, cable/sattelite plans, etc. Eat out or in? These questions are why a budget is important.

What you are proposing is not reducing your expenses, it is purposely becoming homeless. Additionally, your proposal involves potentially illegal activity (I said potentially). There are a lot of people here that can offer you advice on specifics, but nobody will help you do anything illegal.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    So you plan to go off-grid in a public greenway? How long do you expect that will last?
    Oh, each site is temporary. Maybe a few weeks (right now I'm just shy of a month). There's a fella I talked to who has been in his location for over a year.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Welcome.

If you are paying more than 50% of your income for housing and living expenses you are paying too much. You either need to cut your expenses (I know that is your plan, but more on that below) or increase your income.

Not sure of the housing costs in your area, but renting may not be the best option. Buying and putting in some sweat equity might work for you.

Reducing costs needs to start with a budget......every penny. You need to know exactly where your money is going in order to figure out how to cut costs. You said electric was high. Does your utility company do free energy audits (many do). If so, you can find ways to reduce your electric bills. Evaluate everything. Insurance, cell phone plan, cable/sattelite plans, etc. Eat out or in? These questions are why a budget is important.

What you are proposing is not reducing your expenses, it is purposely becoming homeless. Additionally, your proposal involves potentially illegal activity (I said potentially). There are a lot of people here that can offer you advice on specifics, but nobody will help you do anything illegal.
    Not 'homeless'. HOME FREE. I am sick of the shackles. And nothing illegal (not even drinking in public, since I don't drink), except, possibly the camping itself, but its not on private property by any means.

Camping (or living) on public property, whether that is greenways or parks, comes with its own restrictions. City, county, state and federal laws regulation or prohibit such activities so it's best to know what the laws are where you are. Few governmental bodies allow living in greenways and if you are caught you can expect to have your home destroyed and be ejected...at the least...and could be fined or arrested as homeless. You need to start by doing some research regarding the regulations concerning how long you can stay. Even state and federal parks have rules about how long you stay in them.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Wilderness Forum and can I ask what have you learned about Survival today? Have you taken Sergeant Safari, Survival Wilderness Survival Quiz as yet? a good idea to take it as a new member and then say six months to a year test your skill levels. You can find a link on the bottom of the main forum page. Good Luck.

You may also find some answers to questions taking Sgt Safari Quiz. You have been given some wonderful advice from members. Understand also if you make 15.00-dollars an hour you don't get public housing, Medicare, and a lot fewer benefits. Got to love folks working an introduction job for part-timers and students. Thinking its a retirement position and now having to pay their own insurance, got to love how high paying job systems work. Welcome to the real world I say. Understand the following rules for life in the world. 50% of your income should be for housing. Food 15%, Lights, Electric, repairs 20% savings 5% and 10% for giving to others. The rules will change where your needs fall.