Thread: Compost bin?

Default Compost bin?

Hello!

I have a small garden behind my house and I want to create a compost here. I thought about building one but I do not have much time so better option for me would be to buy it. I found many offers but this one seems to be the best : https://gardenseedsmarket.com/compos...80l-black.html . However, I do not want to waste money so I want to ask you about your opinion, maybe you had similar bin? Is it good for small gardens? Is it sufficient?

You need something that allows you to turn the compost periodically. You want to mix the ingredients inside the bin so it can actually compost. 82 cm isn't going to give you very much compost. Enough for a few flower pots perhaps. Remember the raw material is going to break down so once you fill that particular one up, the final compost is going to be just a small portion of what you started with. I think you might be better just composting on the ground without worrying about buying some product. Select an area pile your compost material there then keep it turned at least once a week. You don't have to have some fancy box or well built bin.

I agree with Rick. Just use some muscle energy and turn the compost yourself with a pitchfork and shovel.

If you REALLY want to contain it somehow, get up the nerve to ask some businesses if you you can have some pallets. Check Craigslist, because some places post there so they can get rid of them. BTW, don't ask chain-stores. Most of them will use pallets that they return to their suppliers.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

We can't give pallets away. They can sit out front with a free sign on them for weeks. Except from somewhere around February to mid-May. People must run out of wood then. They vanish overnight. I helped a lady put a couple in her car a few days ago. Hope she had help getting them out at home.
    I actually have 2 bins similar to that one. You can't just put stuff in the top and expect it to come out as compost on the bottom. You have to turn it by shoveling the bottom back on top every once in a while. If you don't, and it turns anaerobic, you'll get a real putrid smell from it and the neighbors may complain. The one I have in the sun cooks fine. The one under the pine tree, I've learned to turn over into the one in the sun. It doesn't get hot enough decompose quickly.
    If you have a freezing winter where you are, and you intend to put kitchen trimmings and coffee grounds in there in winter, keep a supply of chopped leaves in a bag, and maybe a bag or two of cheap topsoil where it won't freeze so you can interlayer those organic things. If you don't, you will get a pretty odiferous mess of slime when it thaws all at once in the spring. Been there, done that.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Pallets are free for the taking around here as well if you ask. Some guy buys them from the stores but isn't regular at picking them up so places like Ace Hardware are happy to get rid of them. I built a double compost bin for the church and used pallets and screen wire to keep the compost inside the pallets. That worked pretty well.