Thread: Composting toilet

Default Composting toilet

I plan on building a small cabin. This cabin would be for occasional use. Maybe every other weekend. The septic tank guy wants $3500 for a septic tank and drain field. I thought about installing my own. The fiberglass tanks are pricey too. Basically 500 gallon tank for $500. So, I started looking at diy systems that have been put together from 55 gallon drums and 275 gallon totes. They’re cheap and I would be comfortable doing the set-up. I’m also considering a compost toilet and a grey water system. I don’t have any experience with composting toilets. Are there any brands that are better or worse? This is a sandy soil area. I’m sure I’ll have other questions. Thanks

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Composting toilets are simple enough that with the correct medium one can build their own at a very low price. They are very popular in Europe with off grid folks living near the urban centers in campers, canal boats and barges that have very limited access to pump out facilities.

The internet is full of DYI composting toilet plans, or you can pay from $300-$2,000 for a commercial toilet.

It appears that the key to their success is keeping the solids and liquids separate.

There is also the option of a cassette toilet, where the holding tank is removable and portable. One could carry an empty tank into the cabin for the weekend and carry the waste away on leaving, dump it at an RV point along the way. You can get a very nice one for around $100.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Thanks for the inputs. After looking at the various options, I’ve decided to go with the traditional septic tank system. The wife will be happier.

Happy wife, happy life. 'nough said.