Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: squirrel meat?

Ive eaten it fried and in stew with no complaints...a trapper friend out of Coldfoot, Alaska swears by his squirrel enchiladas, which were OK but not as good as his snowshoe hare enchiladas, deeee-licious!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You might want to check on the local gaming laws in Michigan:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...341---,00.html

They tend to get expensive if you shoot them out of season and get caught.
    yeah, i live pretty deep- in the woods so the chances of getting caught is very slim. but thanks for the advice
    "The one good thing about music is, when it hits, you feel no pain."- Bob marley

I only had it a couple times in my youth. Unlike the others mine was roasted.
    I do remember not likeing the taste much(may have been more a personal reaction due to my age though) and there was not much meat.
    I would give it a try again as long as it was harvested far away from the toxic swamp I live in.

Ccole - If you look at that link a couple of types are legal year 'round and the others are not. To answer your question, red and gray are no different. Here at least. I've had both and I can't tell any difference (other than color) between them. They all eat the same things so I don't know why there would be a difference but perhaps there are in some places.

Red's will interbreed with grays and vice versa. So much so around here that it's now hard to tell the difference. Most are now red with a gray tummy.
    Last edited by Rick; 06-01-2008 at 06:51 PM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

who has succesfuly trapped a squirrel? that is one of my current objectives and i am having trouble i need to hear about some ones past experiance with succesful traps for squirrels, thanks

box type live traps work well and you might try the traps used for mink...they have a wire that pops up from under them kills quickly but doesnt break the skin
    i have used some snares with a enough sucess rate to include snare wire in my kit.
    Around here some of the guys use a 55 gallon drum with a tilting top for raccoons. the bai is in the center of the top once the animal goes for it the top tilts droppng the critter in the drum. works for cats and possums too depending on youre bait..
    Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect. Steven Wright (1955 - )

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. Douglas Adams

I have live traps set all summer long for ground squirrels and I've never caught a tree squirrel in one. Granted, a lot of the times there is not bait in them. Ground squirrels are pretty dumb and will trap themselves with or without bait. Tree squirrels never seem to go inside them for some reason. At least I've never caught one in a live trap.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

depends on the bait. corn or sunflower seeds work pretty well most of the squirrels in our neighborhood like to raid the bird feeders so birdseed might work.
    Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect. Steven Wright (1955 - )

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. Douglas Adams

Blog Entries

You guys are killing me. If you ever cook up one of the squirrels that hang around my place, the meat will probably taste like peanuts. That's because I feed them peanuts (Clarence, Jasper, Flloyd, Rufus - the whole gang) every morning at about 6:00 when they come and wait around the kitchen window.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

miss owl ...bring youre traps to kens house and use peanuts...

Blog Entries

@*&%$#*()&%$@#$%&
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Actually, I think that's pretty smart. I'll bet Ken increases the distance each day and one day the peanuts will be laying in the frying pan. That Ken has a keen mind.

Now that's not a bad thought. In preparing for a shtf scenario, bring the food to you rather than go look for it. I like it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

sorry ken. my daughter does the same thing when i mention how fat her guinea pigs are....

Hmmmm. Now there's a thought. Maybe while everyone is out raiding the grocery store I'll raid the pet store. Hmmmmmm.

hmmmmm.....how many gold fish to feed a family of five?

Quote Originally Posted by dragonjimm View Post
    hmmmmm.....how many gold fish to feed a family of five?
    About 60 to take care of a frat house on pledge night.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Or only 30 if you want to reuse some.

Before processing or after?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well, you know the old saying at frat parties. What goes down must come up.