Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: squirrel meat?

Default squirrel meat?

Anybody ever eat some squirrel before? Never have and woundering how it is...
    "The one good thing about music is, when it hits, you feel no pain."- Bob marley

not bad. better then cat....;P
    Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect. Steven Wright (1955 - )

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. Douglas Adams

I have eaten quite a bit of squirrel meat in the past, it's pretty good. I normally brine it or soak it in milk first and then batter and fry it like fried chicken or stew it.

squirrel dumplings with gravy. plan on at least two or three though
    Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect. Steven Wright (1955 - )

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. Douglas Adams

Grey squirrel - cooked up in shepherd's pie - my favorite meal as a child.

Red (pine) squirrel - edible - if you have an affinity for turpentine.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

Thank goodness we don't have that problem here. Red and gray are just colors here.

Fried squirrel and fried rabbit are foods of the gods. Just plain good eating. Tacmedic is right, a brine soak helps.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Not as good as Bald Eagle.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

One thing for sure it don't taste like chicken. It's pretty good, ate them for many years.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Only had it once as a lad, and just a small portion.
    But I remember it being very tasty. Cooked until crispy.
    "That's not drunk driving; I'll show ya drunk driving!"

Ate them a lot as a kid. Used to hunt them with my Dad using a shotgun. Gotta be careful of your teeth in case a bit o' lead is left in the meat.

Don't exactly remember the taste but I remember liking it... but then it was something I grew up eating.

Like someone above said: I think the meat was soaked in milk for a while, battered and fried. Little squirrel gravy with the leavin's.

I've had plenty of squirrel soup, pretty good. Never tried it fried up though.

yah, becuz ive had plent of chances to kill them but i nevr actully thought about doing it. im probully gunna give it a try on my next aventure. thanks for the opinions
    "The one good thing about music is, when it hits, you feel no pain."- Bob marley

*looks at squirrels playing in trees outside*

*fetches wire, broomstick and peanuts*
    "That's not drunk driving; I'll show ya drunk driving!"

You might want to check on the local gaming laws in Michigan:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...341---,00.html

They tend to get expensive if you shoot them out of season and get caught.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Grew up squirrel hunting and eating it. My mother use to make really good fried squirrel.
    "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

Quote Originally Posted by Teotwawki View Post
    Ate them a lot as a kid. Used to hunt them with my Dad using a shotgun. Gotta be careful of your teeth in case a bit o' lead is left in the meat.

Don't exactly remember the taste but I remember liking it... but then it was something I grew up eating.

Like someone above said: I think the meat was soaked in milk for a while, battered and fried. Little squirrel gravy with the leavin's.
    Um, that's why you use a .22...
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Does that mean, red squirrel is not edible but grey is?
    Survival31
    Vancouver, BC

Please excuse my English - I'm ESL student

Personally I've never had red squirrel. Greys are the only ones we hunted or I ever saw. I can't imagine them being much different meat wise.
    "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

Yes, but someone mentioned terpentine in relation with a red squirrel
    Survival31
    Vancouver, BC

Please excuse my English - I'm ESL student

use to hunt squirrel with a .22 pellet rifle with some luck. and a few years back had one that had intentions of shacking up in the attic blasted that one with a paint ball gun a few times and he decided to move along