Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chain Link Mail for Cougar Defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Cougars go straight for the neck of their prey. Having shiny metallic mail around your neck is not only protective but it could make a cougar think twice about attacking you. People miss the point about armor. It's not to make you invulnerable to damage. It's to reduce damage and give u that much more confident while you reach for your weapon. While a cougar tries to gnaw on my mail I'll pull out my pepper spray and blind him. That's the gameplan anyway.
    Cougars crush the windpipe thereby suffocating their intended prey. I do not see how chain mail will change that fact if the cougar is intent on you as it's prey, and I don't believe they are intimidates by the shiny metal itself either.

PLEASE, put on your shiny new chain mail and video yourself in cougar country. Bonus points for up close shots of the cats mouth around your neck so that we may study the effectiveness of (or not) of the chain mail.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Well my experience in bushcraft is limited to KOA camping so I guess I am just trying to theorycraft before I take the plunge and spend my first night in the woods.

I'm trying to think of prepping solutions for everything u can think of. Most prepping solutions for survival are already well formulated

Before I take the plunge and spend the night in the woods I'd like to have more strategic plans set in place... Armor, tools for frightening predators, sleeping solutions that keep me free from being bit by snakes in the night or potentially lethal insects bites.

I don't care for the minimalistic nonchalance of bushcrafters.. They are paranoid about getting hurt by a falling tree but completely nonchalant about sleeping on the floor without any way to keep predators and creepy crawlies out...

So I tried to propose a "sleeping cage" that allows you to string up a hammock so you are off the ground, outside of the reach of creepy crawlers and inside a cage so if any bears or cougars come in the night you can thumb your nose at them with impunity.

Of course the bushcraft community heaped mockery and derision upon my idea, talking about how its too much load to carry all that out into the forest and blah blah..

My idea is that once the cage is out there, it's out there. It's not like I'm suggesting to carry it on my back or anything.

If it were up to me, there would be a sleeping cage every 10 yards aside hiking trails. It's not just for sleeping. If a bear or cougar come along, or even a linx for that matter, the hiker could safely retreat to the nearest cage.

If they build the cages right, they could double as rest benches.
    Can you draw us a picture of these "sleeping cages" you propose? Creepy crawlys manage to find their way inside of even the best built houses, we found several ticks inside our home last year. The fact that they crawl allows them to get through the bars of any cage I could imagine and then your hammock becomes a point of contact when the crawly thing crawls down your hammock rope to your hammock to you. DEET is your friend. I hate spraying toxic things on myself or around my home but this one is important, and it must be reapplied often. My fiance tested positive for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever last year despite frequent applications at home or hiking, except we never gave it a thought on our vacation to the smokey mountains last year. It only takes one getting by your defenses to make you sick.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    A word of caution. Never ford a body of water wearing full body armor. It it's too deep it will be like a leaky submarine. If the water is not too deep then you're gonna need a really big can of WD40. Really big can.

I do like the cage every 10 feet idea but what if two people try to use it at the same time? Then it's like musical cages only the fastest guy wins. The slowest guy is left to face the lynx in a mano y mano or many y lynx situation. Hand to paw combat as it were. And I'm not sure about full body armor in a hammock. Seems a tad bit heavy to me. Then there's the whole problem of what to do if a mosquito gets inside the armor. And I know how I am. Just as soon as I get all that armor on I'll have to go to the bathroom.

Oh, yeah. Make certain you put the goggles on BEFORE you turn on the light thingy. Having you and the predator walking around in the woods blinded does no one any good.
    Can you imagine chain mail on a very hairy man? that chain is gonna be ripping the hair out with every move he makes. Oh and with the heat of summer, I bet the sweat is gonna rust that thing out quickly as well.

If the blinking light is facing the critter, why the need for goggles??is it a 360* blinky light? In that case yeah, better wear them tanning goggles, might even need a full on welding helmet.
    Last edited by nell67; 09-03-2019 at 08:08 AM.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Oh come on Nell. You can't expect him to do all of that. Leaving the confines of Mom's basement might be too intimidating.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Oh come on Nell. You can't expect him to do all of that. Leaving the confines of Mom's basement might be too intimidating.
    Crash, I am sure truer words have never been spoken. just trying to get him to see the erro....oh never mind, I don't think it will work.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

He could come to FL to camp with me. Say oh... in July. Test out his theories.

Hey! I'm tellin' you this stuff could work!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

What were we talkin' about?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Thank you, Phaedrus. Folks will recognize my true genius some day. Mom always told me that.
    Well, wasn't the word she used 'special'? That's not the same thing, Rick! Just kidding.

Wait a minute. Come to think of it.

I have heard that Cougars can be very dangerous. Many a young man has been scarred (or scared) for life...

Alan

I have read your excellent post. This is a great job. I have enjoyed reading your post first time.

Never mind. I'm just a stupid spammer from India.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 09-04-2019 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jenilia122 View Post
    I have read your excellent post. This is a great job. I have enjoyed reading your post first time.
    ******************/
    Just wait until Crash or Rick Scammer, you'll be toast,

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

or is it

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Crash 1,457,234,134 Spammers 0

Yeah, like that's a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Can you draw us a picture of these "sleeping cages" you propose? Creepy crawlys manage to find their way inside of even the best built houses, we found several ticks inside our home last year. The fact that they crawl allows them to get through the bars of any cage I could imagine and then your hammock becomes a point of contact when the crawly thing crawls down your hammock rope to your hammock to you. DEET is your friend. I hate spraying toxic things on myself or around my home but this one is important, and it must be reapplied often. My fiance tested positive for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever last year despite frequent applications at home or hiking, except we never gave it a thought on our vacation to the smokey mountains last year. It only takes one getting by your defenses to make you sick.
    The idea of the sleeping cage is that you hang a hammock from it and I have one of those hammocks with with the netting on the top half so I am in a perfect protective bubble

cage is for the beasts and the net is for the creeps

I use DEET spray too. And soccer shinguards to keep the ticks at bay.

Toast and beer, that's my kind of breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post

or is it

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Dang it, I knew it. I've been three days gettin' this crap on and now I got to pee.

The idea of the sleeping cage is that you hang a hammock from it and I have one of those hammocks with with the netting on the top half so I am in a perfect protective bubble

cage is for the beasts and the net is for the creeps

I use DEET spray too. And soccer shinguards to keep the ticks at bay.
    You are NOT in any sort of perfect protective bubble, your cage idea is ridiculous and would be disruptive to the natural environment ( every ten yards?? REALLY) and you think that your net system is perfectly sealed from a tick getting through? Wrong, but you take your "hammock in the wilderness" happy tail on out and set it up so that you believe it is sealed safely from ticks, don't use the DEET, because you will never find your weak links in your net system in your attempt to fend off mother nature if you use it.

And seriously, dismissing Kyratshooter the way you did was stupid. He was absolutely correct in his assessment of the most dangerous creature in the woods, it used to be that we only had to worry about an idiot with a gun in the woods, but that has been tied with an idiot with wifi in mommy's basement for far too long and now is out to conquer the wilderness, and is also probably armed with whatever weapon his video games touted as the perfect survival weapon.... you are not worthy of the dirt on the bottom of Kyrats boots.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Rick, It's the beer you had with toast, it'll do it every time.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I'm just glad this subject didn't come up when the whisky barn fell apart. That would never have worked. Crash and I would have had to forego the armor to take care of all that whisky. We did a very good job if I do say so myself. From what I remember. And the police reports.