Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chain Link Mail for Cougar Defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Aklogcabin View Post
    familiar with.when cruising around in the bush.
    Cougars go straight for the neck of their prey. Having shiny metallic mail around your neck is not only protective but it could make a cougar think twice about attacking you. People miss the point about armor. It's not to make you invulnerable to damage. It's to reduce damage and give u that much more confident while you reach for your weapon. While a cougar tries to gnaw on my mail I'll pull out my pepper spray and blind him. That's the gameplan anyway.
    Last edited by Douglas; 09-01-2019 at 02:05 PM.

I know that if i saw someone walking around in the woods with an armored hat on I would avoid them. Works for me.

I'd ask them if I could take their picture.

If my wife was walking in the woods alone and ran across that she would probably go to condition 0.
    Last edited by madmax; 09-01-2019 at 02:55 PM.

Well, we haven't issued a troll of the week award in quite some time. Looks like we may have a winner.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I, too, would avoid anyone I saw wearing a shiny metal helmet in the woods. I would invoke the use of my shrubbery as camouflage and tiptoe in the opposite direction. Curosity, AK, is the use of cayenne pepper in your back pocket to serve as seasoning for the bear? And, no, you cannot use the word *** or any of several other words. *** should never be confused with **** or even **** ****. Yeah, it can get confusing.

Oh, and let us not forget ****** ****, **** **** ***********, **** and **************.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

**** it! That bout wipes out my whole vocabulary!

Alan

This is one of those "great ideas" that give you a false sense of security.

If a brown bear (grizzly) takes a swipe at your head, it'll probably break your neck. If it misses your head and hits your torso, the claws rip you wide open.

If the cougar goes for your neck, I assume it's standing on your chest, the mail may stop it's fangs, but it might still crush your windpipe. Did you see The Fellowship of the Ring? When Frodo gets jabbed by the cave troll? In the book, a spear was thrown at him and knocked him back. In the movie, the cave troll ran the spear into him and pinned him against a wall. This would've smashed his insides to jelly, and still killed him, Mitrhil mail notwithstanding.

Losing all peripheral vision out in the woods doesn't seem like an advantage either.

Still trying to think of ANY help this helmet might be in the woods.

It IS cool-looking, though. I'll grant you that. But it'll look silly in the wild.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeePettimore View Post
    This is one of those "great ideas" that give you a false sense of security.

If a brown bear (grizzly) takes a swipe at your head, it'll probably break your neck. If it misses your head and hits your torso, the claws rip you wide open.

If the cougar goes for your neck, I assume it's standing on your chest, the mail may stop it's fangs, but it might still crush your windpipe. Did you see The Fellowship of the Ring? When Frodo gets jabbed by the cave troll? In the book, a spear was thrown at him and knocked him back. In the movie, the cave troll ran the spear into him and pinned him against a wall. This would've smashed his insides to jelly, and still killed him, Mitrhil mail notwithstanding.

Losing all peripheral vision out in the woods doesn't seem like an advantage either.

Still trying to think of ANY help this helmet might be in the woods.

It IS cool-looking, though. I'll grant you that. But it'll look silly in the wild.
    Your points are well-taken sir. I guess I would compare chain-mail to an airbag because although it may not be enough, it could make the difference and that temporary sense of security it provides, as illusory as it may be, could prevent someone from totally freezing up in fear and perhaps allow them to boldly reach for their weapon or pepper spray.

I personally go hiking in full chainmail from head to toe underneath oversized clothes. I view it as a protective measure as well as a way of getting more exercise.

One of my main interests in defense vs predators is scaring them. One of my ideas involved tanning goggles and blinding light emitted through a gadget. So basically if you see a predator you put the protective goggles on and blind it / scare it away. Another idea involved a bullhorn / megaphone. Thoughts?

Thoughts?
    Troll on tin man, troll on.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Cayenne pepper in your back pocket just kind of slipped out. But it could light a fire up your *** and you would run faster. I know if I was wearing full body armor i would probably be swinging wildly. Hey, might be on to something here. Bear spray in hand and extra in back pocket so when he bites you in the *** he won’t need any other seasoning. Probably get a little poo thought. Hey maybe armored underwear. In case you carry cayenne pepper in your back pocket.
    I don’t know how much time I want to spend on this but it is a fun way to waste time.
    Get out all. Even in armored gear if you want. I am glad you are getting out. I think. Are you You.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Your points are well-taken sir. I guess I would compare chain-mail to an airbag because although it may not be enough, it could make the difference and that temporary sense of security it provides, as illusory as it may be, could prevent someone from totally freezing up in fear and perhaps allow them to boldly reach for their weapon or pepper spray.

I personally go hiking in full chainmail from head to toe underneath oversized clothes. I view it as a protective measure as well as a way of getting more exercise.

One of my main interests in defense vs predators is scaring them. One of my ideas involved tanning goggles and blinding light emitted through a gadget. So basically if you see a predator you put the protective goggles on and blind it / scare it away. Another idea involved a bullhorn / megaphone. Thoughts?
    All out of food.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Aklogcabin View Post
    Get out all. Even in armored gear if you want. I am glad you are getting out. I think. Are you You.
    Well my experience in bushcraft is limited to KOA camping so I guess I am just trying to theorycraft before I take the plunge and spend my first night in the woods.

I'm trying to think of prepping solutions for everything u can think of. Most prepping solutions for survival are already well formulated

Before I take the plunge and spend the night in the woods I'd like to have more strategic plans set in place... Armor, tools for frightening predators, sleeping solutions that keep me free from being bit by snakes in the night or potentially lethal insects bites.

I don't care for the minimalistic nonchalance of bushcrafters.. They are paranoid about getting hurt by a falling tree but completely nonchalant about sleeping on the floor without any way to keep predators and creepy crawlies out...

So I tried to propose a "sleeping cage" that allows you to string up a hammock so you are off the ground, outside of the reach of creepy crawlers and inside a cage so if any bears or cougars come in the night you can thumb your nose at them with impunity.

Of course the bushcraft community heaped mockery and derision upon my idea, talking about how its too much load to carry all that out into the forest and blah blah..

My idea is that once the cage is out there, it's out there. It's not like I'm suggesting to carry it on my back or anything.

If it were up to me, there would be a sleeping cage every 10 yards aside hiking trails. It's not just for sleeping. If a bear or cougar come along, or even a linx for that matter, the hiker could safely retreat to the nearest cage.

If they build the cages right, they could double as rest benches.
    Last edited by Douglas; 09-02-2019 at 03:00 PM.

...it just gets better and better.

A word of caution. Never ford a body of water wearing full body armor. It it's too deep it will be like a leaky submarine. If the water is not too deep then you're gonna need a really big can of WD40. Really big can.

I do like the cage every 10 feet idea but what if two people try to use it at the same time? Then it's like musical cages only the fastest guy wins. The slowest guy is left to face the lynx in a mano y mano or many y lynx situation. Hand to paw combat as it were. And I'm not sure about full body armor in a hammock. Seems a tad bit heavy to me. Then there's the whole problem of what to do if a mosquito gets inside the armor. And I know how I am. Just as soon as I get all that armor on I'll have to go to the bathroom.

Oh, yeah. Make certain you put the goggles on BEFORE you turn on the light thingy. Having you and the predator walking around in the woods blinded does no one any good.

Oh good lord. Moma's basement must be dull tonight.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

True genius is seldom recognized in it's own time.

They need to make the cages with a fine enough mesh to keep out squirrels, too. Under certain conditions, squirrels become like piranha. They will swarm a sleeping animal, and strip the flesh off it's bones in 2 minutes.

Maybe that full-body chain mail is a good idea. Keep wearing it.

Thank you, Phaedrus. Folks will recognize my true genius some day. Mom always told me that.