Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chain Link Mail for Cougar Defense.

Default Chain Link Mail for Cougar Defense.

Although we no longer have battles with swords and spears, we still have cougars, bears and linxes which are known for
    striking the neck of an unfortunate woodsman.

There is an astonishing absense of discussion about armor in the bushcrafting community, partially due to laziness and partially due to the fact that armor is believed to be
    cumbersome.

Chain link mail is a relatively lightweight and efficient option. I personally never enter the woods without a chain link armor and helmet that I bought on amazon.

A link to the particular item I use is here:

https://www.amazon.ca/QUALITYMUSICSH...gateway&sr=8-4

Not only will this armor protect you from a cougar, linx or bear attack but the glittering armor will most likely frighten any predator and make them think twice about engaging in combat.

Is the weight combersome? Slightly. I don't like paying insurance either, but after last years golf ball sized hail storm I'm glad I did.

And there's something to be said for the peace of mind you get when u are in the woods and your head and neck are fully protected.

This armor will protect you from predators and buy you enough time to pull out your gun or pepper spray to neutralize the threat.

If any other members would care to share other viable optionns for bushcraft armor please share.

I also use soccer shin guards to protect against snakes and tic bites and recommend you do the same.

Edit: I am also interested in ideas for how to make a "safety cage" in the woods. Basically a bear-proof cougar-proof moose-proof cage of some sort to sleep or retreat into if the unthinkable happens. Any ideas are welcome.
    Last edited by Douglas; 08-30-2019 at 05:12 PM.

wow... umm... nothing comes to me.

Yes, well, there's that. I had never thought of tigers and bears sneaking up behind me but, yeah, it could happen. And who wants linxes jumping on your neck? If they just had one for Sasquatch. I do have to wonder, did the hail bouncing off that helmet sound like a Djembe or a Conga? Let's find out!

What do you think?

I have a hat with a face on the back. It look to the cougars, lynxes and bears etc like someone is looking back at them.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Oh my..................
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have to ask, Pete. Do people call you...wait for it....two faced when you wear it? Ba dum bum tsh.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

As we have said before, your greatest danger in the woods is the two legged critters with social/mental problems.

Refer to post #1.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I have a story about a mountain climber who was scared of heights.

That just popped up in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
    I have a hat with a face on the back. It look to the cougars, lynxes and bears etc like someone is looking back at them.
    Brilliant! I want to add this to my helmet.. And why stop there? Why not an enormous head of a beast or demonic creature painted on someone's back with bright neon yellow glowing eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    As we have said before, your greatest danger in the woods is the two legged critters with social/mental problems.

Refer to post #1.

Safety first, my friend. I'm not in the woods to look stylish and I am not trying to show off how much of a fearless tough guy I am. People get attacked by cougars and bears all the time. To think that it will never happen to you is a flawed and pig-headed way of thinking. Most airplanes will never crash but safety provisions are still prepared and preventative measures are taken. Why not say that the world has gone insane because there are oxygen masks in planes while you're at it? You might as well.

You can't say "You are more likely to be harmed by X so don't worry about Y". That's sloppy logic and that's a sloppy ethic to live by.
    Last edited by Douglas; 08-31-2019 at 11:58 AM.

The second thing that popped up in my head.

https://youtu.be/TnOdAT6H94s?t=259

I want you to know that I got some 90 year old ballerina in an ad before that flic ran. My eyes might never be the same.

In keeping with the theme. I'll go with Monty and the Knights that say Ni. I'll walk through the woods with a shrubbery. That way everything will think I'm harmless. Except dogs but then the worse that can happen is I'll get pee'd on.

You wouldn't believe the responses you get when you google trolls wearing chainmail.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I never enter the wild realm without wearing a full sized 2017 Tundra Crewmax. While it is a shortbed it still covers my neck and head nicely. It is also climate controlled. You just can't be too safe.

Alan

I thought of using a full-sized dummy sewn to my backpack but those grams add up. And yes, Rick, the "two-faced" comment is heard sometimes.
    But I usually see those folks later on walking out of the woods backwards.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Pete - Brilliant! My wife and I were hiking in Yellowstone once and ran into another couple. I was carrying a sidearm and bear spray. He asked me if I thought I would need them. I told him I sure hoped not. He had neither. I told him if he happened to run into a bear just give me a yell. He had that deer in the headlights look. I didn't hear any screams or find any bear scat with tinkling bells so I guess he made it.

Alan - Yeah, but they can still see your neck through the window. They might hop into the bed, press their face against the back glass and scare the willys out of you. At our age, we don't have many willys left to scare.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Safety first, my friend. I'm not in the woods to look stylish and I am not trying to show off how much of a fearless tough guy I am. People get attacked by cougars and bears all the time. To think that it will never happen to you is a flawed and pig-headed way of thinking. Most airplanes will never crash but safety provisions are still prepared and preventative measures are taken. Why not say that the world has gone insane because there are oxygen masks in planes while you're at it? You might as well.

You can't say "You are more likely to be harmed by X so don't worry about Y". That's sloppy logic and that's a sloppy ethic to live by.
    Oh good grief!

Why do all the trolls pick on me, especially the ones with mental deficiencies?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I have been bustin' around in the boonies, the wooded forests, plains, mountains, and deserts for about 70 years where there were Black bears, Grizzly bears, Mountain lions, wolves, bobcats, skunks, coyotes, and poisonous snakes, and never been threatened by a wild animal. I did have some trouble once with some two legged predators but armored chain mail and metal helmet wouldn't have done much good with those two cretins. I did, however, call on my old and dear friends, Col. Colt and his nine little sisters for assistance.

As I am elderly now and don't ply the remote pathways in the boonies as much as formerly, I can see the error of my ways and count my blessings I'm still alive rather than a pile of bleached bones scattered outdoors. I will in the future, make sure I am properly attired to handle any and all emergencies. Thanks for that link to the shiny armor. It's on the way. Where's that Fed Ex truck?!

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Im trying to figure out how if a brown bear attacks it will kick your ***. Black will just eat you. A mama moose will beat anythings ***. Cougar I’m not too familiar with. But if you surprise or if one of these critters is intent on eating you. Well maybe carry some cayenne pepper in your back pocket. I generally don’t have any personal protection when cruising around in the bush.

You can’t write ***. Oops