Thread: Cordite

Default Cordite

Us old guys can remember when you could pick up military ammo packed with cordite. It was one of the first smokeless propellants and a huge improvement over black powder. Most of the early artillery in WWII was packed with the stuff. I happened to run across a youtube showing the stuff burning and thought some of you might be interested in what it looks like and how slow it burns. This happens to be out of early .303. This proves ammo doesn't explode but is a controlled burn.
    You can jump to 4:29 to see what it looks like and 7:50 to watch it burn. That should save you some time. It's actually a pretty decent vid, however. Enjoy.

Here's a youtube comparing blackpowder, cordite and modern smokeless powder. Again, if you've never seen cordite, you might find it interesting.

This why I've heard of cordite (even though I didn't know what it was until watching the above video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pChZeIE_3o
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Cordite is still a usable propellant, and is still available in commercial form.

Played any ping pong lately? Ping pong balls are pure nitro cellulose=cordite.

Old fashioned movie film was pure nitro-cellulose.

How many ping pong balls it takes to reload a 30-06 case I have no idea!

Judging from the amount in those .303 cases I would say "fill it up" and pray it don't blow. If a .303 action, or a French Label action, will hold a full charge a modern bolt gun with forward locking lugs should be OK.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

They did make billiard balls out of nitrocellulose for a short while.

There's a myth (might be true) that it was in Denver that a guy in a bar put out his cigar on a billiard ball and, when it exploded, everyone thought it was gunfire, pulled their guns and started shooting in random directions. Maybe it's a good thing that cowboys tend to be conservatives. New fangled things get them into trouble.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.