Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Survival stories

Quote Originally Posted by Aklogcabin View Post
    My beautiful wife is a real champion and I trust her with my life.
    Sounds like she trusts you with her life, too! A God-picked pair, you are!
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Thank You JLP. I thank the Good Lord many time a day. For my beautiful wife whom I would never been able to what I or we have done. And even grandson, plus hopefully more grandkids to share with. I don’t do what I do so much for me. It is for my family. They will now have a cabin in the middle of nowhere Alaska. To call theirs so they can continue to enjoy wilderness survival. And I get the joys of building it.
    Getting ready today to fly out with our daughter. Week or so hunting moose, wolves and bears. Both colors. Kind of don’t target the bears or wolves. They are there because the moose are there. I was doing moose calls n had a wolves come in. Also spotted a wolf one early morning. Wolf was sitting in the one spot that allowed it it see the greatest distance in every direction . Learned from many years of other wolves passed down. Knowing exactly where to sit , still, watching for an opportunity. I missed mine. Wolves two. Me zero.
    I have spent a lot of enjoyable time researching different trapping and fur handling techniques. I would not want to waste the opportunity to learn more. Thats just me.
    Will be able to update maybe. Any reception happens when a satellite passes by. When texting I write out message on phone n set it in the window. Check it every 15-20 minutes. Sometimes hour or so. Might work might not. Just right by my standards.
    Hope you’re having a great day. I am .

Quote Originally Posted by Aklogcabin View Post
    Will be able to update maybe. Any reception happens when a satellite passes by. When texting I write out message on phone n set it in the window. Check it every 15-20 minutes. Sometimes hour or so. Might work might not. Just right by my standards.
    Hope you’re having a great day. I am .
    When you're away from it all, you're away from it all.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Well my daughter and I head out today. We will meet up with the Cessna 185 plane on floats today. Finally. I will fly out with the first load n daughter will fly out with second load. Hopefully it will all fit in the plane. A disassembled Honda 3 wheeler. Air conditioner to turn generator shed into a walk in cooler. And gear. Seems that every trip to the cabin always has a full load of building materials or more tools n gadgets.
    I always have a certain feeling as I watch the plane take off leaving me or us alone. Just us and the more wild part of Alaska. Plan then is to walk the couple miles to the cabin and hopefully be able to take a short break and enjoy the moment. Meaning hopefully the bears or falling trees or worst, thief’s have not messed up our day. I can take the natural predators. The humans. No. I’m confident that everything will be fine.
    Then fire up 4 wheeler , hook up canoe, go get all the gear. Before the bears find the cooler of meat. Load up and freight it to the cabin. Then reassemble the 3 wheeler. But highest priority is to spend time with our daughter. At our cabin trying to harvest her first moose. That will feed several families.
    Just another of many reasons why I consider myself the most blessed man in the world.

3-wheeler. That must be OLD.

Or a broken 4-wheeler.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The 3 wheeler is a 1983 . Honda 185s . I like to know about my machines before I’m out n break down . It’s going to happen. Actually it did happen. Was a great day for flying. Mostly clear with a few scattered squwals Well my worries about if everything would fit were elevated , it all fit. Got everything unloaded and the plane off. Good bye civilization! Saddled up our packs n headed to cabin. Had a great trip! Found only one tree that has to be cut to open the trail. And it is near the cabin so will be good firewood too.
    The cabin was just like I left it . Floors swept. And bedding packed up orderly in totes. I’m sure the cabin looked nice and clean when i left so that when I come back with beautiful wife it looks good. Reality was a sauce pan with what i think was chili left next to the cold spot by the door. Full of, well you know. The fly eggs that hatched into lave kind of was bad. I still haven’t shared this with my daughter. The thought of watching her open it up is winning. Should be a memorable moment right? And the coffee pot too. I dumped out the pot for hot water. Dead flys. They need cleaning anyway.
    Back to the perfect trip. I think that I may have wrote somewhere that Alaska can teach you a little humility as my daughter now says. The Suzuki fires up. Have to put air in the tire the bear tried to eat and pull around front of cabin to hook up canoe n go get freight. Hook up canoe fire Suzuki up . She sputters, won’t even attempt to run without full choke. But it is only 20 feet from the cabin. Thank You Lord !
    All our gear, clothes, food, a rifle,3 wheeler, air conditioner, 4 gallon jug of water from home is all at the lake. I pour a bunch of red heet n sta bil in the gas tank and rolled over the engine until i knew the extra fuel stuff was in the carb. Hopefully that will help. I find the back pack in the generator shed and strap a small kids plastic sled to it. We are walking back to the lake.
    We pack and tie all the small bags I use. They fit into little air planes easier. On to daughters pack and my bag into my backpack. . Left the rest where they got set. We had to reserve as much as we could. We had already walked on 4 miles of marshmallows. And now faced another 2 miles back to the cabin. My daughter had a 75 pound pack. Me, not so much. Trip went okay. We got to the reusable cloth bag that had the bread in it that we thought only had the bread in it only to find the 5 pound bag of lightly salted peanuts on the bottom of the bag. That we stashed 3/4 of a mile from the drop off. I tied a bag of bread on a tail end of rope on the back of my daughters pack. We made it to the cabin. And it didn’t even start to rain on us until we were a half mile to go. I love our daughter. Found the extra 20 pounds of snacks too that my beautiful wife sent out.
    Alls well. Sitting here goofing off on the computer. Which gave me a warning that there was no signal. Hope this works. With my feet soaking in hot water eating snacks. Most blessed man in the world. Even walking 6 miles on marshmallows with our daughter. The last 2 miles . Well 4 miles walking their n back. Alaska teaching us another dose of reality. But thats life.

Got the wheeler all torn down. Read rack n fenders off. My daughter tore the carburetor apart and cleaned ak the jests. We put it back in , same stuff. Then we, she , took the body parts off that allowed acces to the fuel pump. And she pulled it out also . We tested it and it pumped. Daughter reinstalls the fuel pump. Fire up machine, only runs on full choke. Still. I pulled the fuel line off and stick it in an old coffee can . Go to turn over the engine to see if any fuel pumps into the can.
    The machine fires up and runs great. No choke, just touch start button and machine idles n revs up great. With the gas line off. Hey I ain’t asking any guestion. But I did say a prayer. Put the gas line back on . Put the rear fender cowling on with a couple bolts n the seat. Well my daughter did anyhow. We made it the two miles to the lake, loaded up all our bear unmolested gear and made it back to the cabin. No problems. Suzuki ran great.
    Now if this is an omen for tonight’s moose hunt. That would be great. Have to take a nap first.

You can guess which one. Winner may get a new chain link helmet.

Ummm. Don’t know what you mean.

Our banned Ukrainian friend is referencing another thread.

Man , what is with people like that. Oh well. My motto “ live on your wins “ .