Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from my neck of the woods!

Cool Greetings from my neck of the woods!

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and i didn't see a thread where we could introduce ourselves so i figured that i should do so now. lol I live in Canada, in a small town so hunting is a way of life for me. I grew up in the bush so i had to learn everything i could without causing my dad grief! lol didn't work. hehe
    I have a question, lol has anyone ever cleaned a partridge? My dad always told me that whatever you kill, be sure YOU are the one who is gonna clean it! So what about you guys?

All birds have roughly the same anatomy. Cut off the head & feet, pluck, drain all the blood, pull out the internal organs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    All birds have roughly the same anatomy. Cut off the head & feet, pluck, drain all the blood, pull out the internal organs.
    Well hi there Chris! Thanks for replying to my post. The way my dad taught me to clean a partridge was not in that way. lol We always had to stand on the wings with our hands on the birds feet and pull. lol Then after the breast was exposed, you just pull it off the body. sorry for being so descriptive! That's the way my ancestors did it.

If you don't mind my asking, who would your ancestors be? Or do you mean your parents/grandparents?

Hello Minwaabi, i was indeed talking about my grandparents. I am half Algonquin so i have learned alot about how to survive in the bush. I am very proud of my native heritage.

Ah, I'm part Chippewa. Depending on who you ask I'm either 1/8 or 1/16. Unfortunately my family has a real bad habit of disowning people for trivial things and that side of the family doesn't talk to me or my parents so I don't have a lot of knowledge of how my ancestors did things. I've been trying to learn though because I am proud of my native heritage as well. (That and I love the wild).

I just keep the breast meat on those littler birds. They are hardely worth the effort , with all the cleaning. However , I find birds easy to clean. Better than a bear.

Nice to meet everyone.

Hi, I'm Charlotte. A White woman from Mississippi. 48 years old. Nice meeting you all. Just found this site a week ago myself.

Been into hunting and fishing and survival knowledge my whole life. As prices get higher and job security gets shakier, I'm really getting into the primitive technology now. Want to learn it all and hone the natural talents I have. I don't see Social Security being there for me when I am ready to retire, and the skills I am sharpening now will help out greatly.

Down south, we hunt wooddducks, quail, and dove. These are are very small birds. Woodducks have beautiful feathers, too. The woodduck's small breast is pulled off and skinned. The feathers are great for tying flies wet and dry (which I do.) The rest of the tasty meat is great for soup making or for flavorful broths to cook rice in.
    With Christ, all things are possible.

Hello to all and nice to meet all the new members. Glad to see Canada represented too.

Thank you so much for the warm welcome echos. And minwaabi, i have the same problem with the family fighting! LOL what is it with us? Must be the native blood that makes us so hard-headed! lol And it's very nice to meet you Charlotte (hope i spelled that right!)

Smile Pat cleanin'...lb

Hi and Welcome, WiccanSpirit! I learned the same trick you use for birds, when I was about 15 when my older hunting buddy showed me how to do it. I had been cleanin' them the older fashioned way with pluckin' & guttin' and all until he smartened me up. However, I still save the little drumsticks and roast 'em over the coals of a slow bush fire too, along with the fine breasts of Mr. Pat, once or twice a year.
    When I was about four or five, I spent most of my time being a native wannabe. I read anything and everything about the true caretakers of this land, that I could get my wee hands on. It didn't stop when I went to school either. I studied everything on the way home from insects to trees to tracks to creeks, birds, wildflowers, and about anything else I could get my eyes on outdoors. We lived near the edge of town so the bush was always, right there for me...

Hi there, Bowcatz! Nice to have you here with us. Great to have some womenfolk interplay in here with such kool topics as this forum raises. Sure don't sound to me like yer afraid of snakes n spiders and such either! Ya gotta like that in a woman!

I'm new here too and live in Ontario, where there's plenty of wild bush left to get lost in. It's great to communicate with others who share our interests in our own survival, on this neat forum. I'm glad I found it.

lb

Hello everyone Just found yall and have enjoyed the site. Im from West Tennessee. I have hunted and fished as long as i can remember, although less and less as i get older(to much work).

White, black, red. Who cares? I am from the south. Southern California. I love survival. I just wanted to say hello. Charlotte you say white like it is a bad thing. Being a racist idiot is a bad thing. We should all be proud of who we are and where we came from. In doing that we may learn to be proud of everyone else.

WiccanSpirit. Welcome and merrily met.

Welcome to the forum.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WiccanSpirit View Post
    Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and i didn't see a thread where we could introduce ourselves so i figured that i should do so now. lol I live in Canada, in a small town so hunting is a way of life for me. I grew up in the bush so i had to learn everything i could without causing my dad grief! lol didn't work. hehe
    I have a question, lol has anyone ever cleaned a partridge? My dad always told me that whatever you kill, be sure YOU are the one who is gonna clean it! So what about you guys?
    i was taught to use the birds and ground hogs or other "Fat" bearing animals for fuel as well as food. do you render the bird fat to burn in an oil lamp,or to heat stones for warmth. and to cook food?
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Aho mitakuye oyasin, and welcome aboard.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Guys this thread is over 2 years old.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

OP must have been spirited away over the years.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The Wiccan Spirit lives on....
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen