Thread: Moving to wild alaska??

Default Moving to wild alaska??

Hello,

Here is a link to a list of activities in which you should never indulge, in order to "survive" the Great Alaskan Wilderness.

Note in the two far right hand columns, the activities and causes of death. If you do not do these things, you should be okay in Alaska.

thanks
    iosman

**********************Oopsy. You came back and spammed us. Bu bye.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 09-19-2019 at 12:35 PM.

Sorry. You can't post links until you have 10 posts. That's especially true for folks from Kolkata, India.

LOL Rick !

Man! I was interested in what not to do to survive in Alaska. It might have been funny.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

It might be harder to survive in India than in Alaska!

Alan

If only we had a list of activities we shouldn't indulge in while in India. That would make it so much easier. I would think hamburgers would be on the list. Just guessing.

Can’t see any link but all I did to survive 40 years of Ak was to not die. And I have given the Good Lord plenty of opportunities. But that’s why I live here and raise my kids and grandkids to get out and enjoy the outdoors around us.
    Personally I feel much safer in the bush than I do in a city. And prefer to carry a sidearm in the city but not so much in the bush. And I certainly feel more secure when at our cabin in the middle of nowhere Ak surrounded by wildlife than I do in a city.
    Maybe a little long but I get a kick out of folks who think that there is a book. When what they should maybe do is just go do it. And be considerate of the fact we all do things different.
    Just got and do it.

Yeah Aklogcabin, Some can do that. Christopher McCandless thought he could and starved to death in an abandoned bus. Then, I believe, several other people died just trying to get to that bus. I think you sell yourself short sir. I have a lot of respect for you and those who can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aklogcabin View Post
    Can’t see any link but all I did to survive 40 years of Ak was to not die. And I have given the Good Lord plenty of opportunities. But that’s why I live here and raise my kids and grandkids to get out and enjoy the outdoors around us.
    Personally I feel much safer in the bush than I do in a city. And prefer to carry a sidearm in the city but not so much in the bush. And I certainly feel more secure when at our cabin in the middle of nowhere Ak surrounded by wildlife than I do in a city.
    Maybe a little long but I get a kick out of folks who think that there is a book. When what they should maybe do is just go do it. And be considerate of the fact we all do things different.
    Just got and do it.
    My interest wasn't based on the desire to learn how to survive in Alaska. I figured it would be a collection of humorous stories about major screw-ups.

Example: "What happened when I tried to take a Brown bear cub as a pet."
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Thanks for the atta boy madmax. I guess I do tend to underestimate the skills I have learned. I got dropped off by the bush plane a couple years ago. It was the first trip into the cabin since I had been their on a snogo. The start of moose season, around August 20. I am always full of anticipation on the first trip out. You never know what the bears or Mother Nature may have done to the cabin. We currently have forest fires all over with over 50 homes already burned. I know what that’s like. We lost our home in a forest fire once.
    Back to the original story. Left the door open for lots of stories. For you JLP. I watch the plane take off, leaving me and what I got. I go to take a drink of water and realize that I only have a half bottle of water with me. Oops. I did have a water purifier pump at the cabin so all went well.
    Remembering this trip. I was a bit anxious about going out because I ended up leaving my 4 wheeler at the lake for the winter, summer. End of September till the next August. Worried about how much the bears had destroyed it. There are a large array of odors on that rig. From food to blood.
    Now to the story of how the wheeler got there. I had just got back to the cabin from being on a stand for the evening hunt. I like to hunt till dark and walk to cabin with a headlamp. My beautiful wife had another great meal ready for me. I really love this lady and she’s my best friend. We go upstairs and climb into bed. Lights out. Then my beautiful wife says, whats that sound? I ask what’s it sound like? Goats she says. Not likely. I get up an open the door to the deck. I instantly recognize the sound. Local wolves taking down a yearling moose about a hundred yards from the front porch. The sounds of Mother Nature. I feel blessed to be able to enjoy this opportunity.
    Well the next morning we were scheduled to fly out. The local wolves had woken up and started up a breakfast party. Normally I would bring beautiful wife and gear to the lake . Drop her off then drive the wheeler back to the cabin. Put it up for the winter and walk the 2 miles back to the lake. Well with a pack of wolves on a fresh kill so close that a hard of hearing getting older guy can even hear. My beautiful wife suggests that we both ride wheeler to the lake and leave it there until we can pick it up in the winter and freight it to the cabin to put up.
    Suggestion for surviving in Ak. Take your beautiful wife’s advice and don’t walk around next to a pack of wolves on a fresh kill. Probably not in a book but maybe.
    Well the wheeler spent the winter at the lake. Bears destroyed the seat, a few bite marks and a flat tire. Not too bad.
    The freight sled I was going to use is still stuck in the mud at the trail entrance from the tioga into the woods to the cabin with another trailer on it. And some smart ace wolf backed up to it and took a dump right on top of it. But that’s another story. Yep, left a big ol turd right on the front corner.
    Wilderness survival at its best. I think. But like just another day out in Ak. I am truly blessed !
    Hope that this story spurs others to share their stories. I have Ben blessed to be able to do these things because I went out there and tried. And always learn.
    Hopefully I will have a great story about my successful moose hunt this year. Although I will attempt to harvest wolves and bears also. Nice black bear that has been feeding on blue berries. Great meat and bear fat to mix with the moose meat.
    Have a great day all. Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by Aklogcabin; 08-28-2019 at 12:52 PM.

Thanks for sharing that, Aklogcabin. I really like true-life stories.

Please share any of your "that's another story" stories.

Keep in mind that you had better sure that you can hack the winters before spending the money to move up. From what I've seen, that's actually the part that people have the hardest time with. Personally, I love the winter or I'd have never moved up here. The summers are incredible but so many folks up here pine for those four months of Summer the rest of the year and that's just not a fun way to live.

Last edited by crashdive123; 09-24-2019 at 06:43 AM.

You probably do love winters in Algeria. You're pretty close to the equator there my friend. By the way, do you know Slide95? We just banned him. Tick, tock, tick, tock. I think I've got a nibble.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I was about to take out the trash, but you seem to be having fun. Funny how this liar called attention to the spamming OP (who came back and edited their post to add spam).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sorry for the no links

Well, that was inevitable. He was like a bad egg getting smelly. No, wait. A rotten potato. He'll be back and we'll be waitin'.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.