Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contact Your Elected Officials

Default Contact Your Elected Officials

After last week-end's tragic shootings, the anti-gun groups are in full swing doing everything they can to take our 2nd Amendment rights away from us. While I mourn the evil that occurred in Texas and Ohio and pray for a speedy recovery for those that were injured, both of the shooters displayed evil tendencies that were ignored. Just a few years ago, the shooter in Texas had a list of people he wanted to kill and rape. An ex-girlfriend of the shooter in Ohio now says he was fascinated by mass murder. Both used social media as an outlet to vent their hostilities. There were clear signs that something terrible was wrong with these men yet nothing happened. Instead, everyone waited for a tragedy to occur, the media to whip everyone into a frenzy and all fingers point once again at firearms.

I urge you to contact your President, state's senators and representative and let your voice be heard. I have. Let them know your position on Red Flag laws as well as additional gun laws. If we do not act, the anti-gun folks will.

I'm on it.

Alan

For anyone who doesn't have contact info...
    you'll have to google your own State Legislature.

https://www.house.gov/representative...representative
    https://www.senate.gov/senators/index.htm

https://capitol.texas.gov/

Alan

Florida already has a Red Flag law.

I spoke up when I was teaching elementary school about dangerous kids. It was not PC and not welcome.

This crap has me thinking a lot about being thankful for growing up when I did.

That said this is the greatest country in the world. I'll never leave it. I'll always fight for it. As best I can.

My state is overwhelmingly useless in these things and the few GOP officials are completely impotent. I've never been more frustrated or seething mad.
    I am counting on the rest of you guys from normal states to make extra noise.

I'm sorry, B. I saw that a motorcycle backfired yesterday and folks fled in panic. When I saw it I couldn't help but think of gazelle on the African plains. One runs and the rest follow.

"What are we running from?"
    "I don't know. Just keep running."

We have a red flag law in our state as well, MMax. That said, it hasn't been used too much, so it seems. At least it hasn't been publicized if it has been. This state still has some common sense at the state and federal level. I have no idea how our island manages to stay sane next to Illinois but it does. Maybe with such a glaring example of dumb next door we just have to look and see what not to do. I'm from there so I can talk down to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'm sorry, B. I saw that a motorcycle backfired yesterday and folks fled in panic. When I saw it I couldn't help but think of gazelle on the African plains. One runs and the rest follow.
    That was a head scratcher. I am no expert on these things but I am pretty sure if I were there my first instinct would have been to duck into one of the buildings right away. The "shots" were heard outside so why risk being out in the open and trampled by the crowds no less?
    Now it is reported that those mufflers were doctored ahead of time with the express purpose of pulling that $hit off in a Times Square area. Sick, sick, world.

btw...did anyone watch De Blasio on Hannity last night? A perfect example of the mass insanity we are up against.

It’s a mess and I think it’s going to get worse.

Typical Political Speak. A simple yes or no question (should New Yorkers be allowed to have guns in their homes?) went on for several minutes and resulted in no answer (which, of course, means NO). Who's he kidding?

You think NY is bad????
    At least you don't have this:
    https://www.masslive.com/politics/20...nate-seat.html
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

40,000 lives lost last year in automobiles. 17,600+ by firearms. According to the CDC, an average of 69 people were MURDERED EACH DAY by automobile in 2015 (that last year of data I could find). Where's the outrage for safer automobiles and roads? Those killed by rifles in 2017 (the latest FBI stats available. Including uber ugly "assault weapons")...403. Those bludgeoned to death...467. Every year, hammers show up more dangerous than rifles. We need to register carpenters.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Typical Political Speak. A simple yes or no question (should New Yorkers be allowed to have guns in their homes?) went on for several minutes and resulted in no answer (which, of course, means NO). Who's he kidding?
    That's what I hate about all of them. They can never answer a straight question because they don't have the balls to stand by their convictions as flawed as they are. Their reasoning is faulty and it's scary to see this played out daily and on such a large scale.

There are no politicians today. We have come to the point in this country that it's the least dangerous of the bunch.

Tool & Die Maker

Just think what we will have if these shootings continue. I'm already as politically active as I can on gun control. I'm at a point where I'm preaching to people to learn self defense and ,,,,,,,,,,,,first aid. There are several hero's in these shootings.
    In Dayton a Army veteran Medic saved countless lives giving first aid instructions to volunteers after the shooting. A Walmart employee hid customers inside of empty shipping containers during the shooting. Quick thinking makes a difference.

It's a mess for sure.
    Update: I contacted my representatives this morning recommending better deterrent to terrorist crime and for people that shoot up schools and churches.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 08-10-2019 at 07:25 AM.

Seems like some of our elected consider the constitution as antiquated words. Then they wonder why their laws and rules aren’t followed.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Seems like some of our elected consider the constitution as antiquated words. Then they wonder why their laws and rules aren’t followed.
    They also do not follow the laws that are on the books and blame those who do. When picking and choosing which laws you want to follow and getting away with it, you know we are headed for very troubling times.

I'm writing a book (heh, I have 5 in me before I die) called Critical Thinking for Voters. I'm going to put it out in segments on a blog. The first chapter outlines why we should vote (as if the last presidential election isn't reason enough - only 55.7% of the voting population turned out to vote), and other things. I'm having to do a lot of research and I specifically asked, do calls to elected officials, petitions, etc. do any good. The research says "yes" but only because it alerts voters to issues. The problem is that our elected officials hire people to take calls, look at petitions, and throw them in the waste baskets. The people whose voices matter are the ones that send them the most money - big business and special interests. Especially on the state and federal levels, they don't care what you think.

Votes are even problematic. Not everyone gets to vote, many don't think their votes matter and don't vote, and the votes that do happen get smeared by the Electoral College.

A solution to making America great again (in other words, in tune with the Constitution) is to build from the bottom. Most Federal officers start as local or state politicians and or votes matter much more on the home front - especially with the underappreciated counsel people. Vote often and vote grassroots. Politicians listen to the people that funded them and grassroots politicians are funded by their voting constituents - you. And you can't trust a politicians word that they are grassroots - follow the money. Research them and find out where their campaign funds come from as well as what past positions on bills and such were.

We have got to start moving these monsters out of office and this is the only way I know to do it. I just hope it's not too late to mitigate the damage they're doing.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I shudder to think what would happen if the Electoral College was not in place.
    This is a Republic, not a Majority Democracy. The Liberal Coasts have a vast advantage in sheer numbers.
    You've read about this, right?
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/blu...of-connecticut
    Talk about making your citizens' vote not count!
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I second that, Lowkey. The Founding Fathers put the Electoral College in place for a reason. They understood size matters.