Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Contact Your Elected Officials

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I second that, Lowkey. The Founding Fathers put the Electoral College in place for a reason. They understood size matters.
    That's the only reason states with smaller populations like Wyoming would agree to join the union, otherwise why bother? You'd have NY and CA calling the shots for everyone else. Can you imagine?! It's bad enough my conservative vote is meaningless in NY but at least I have hope the rest of the country can pull us through. Without the Electoral College we'd all be screwed.

We all agree with this POV of course, but this article is simply brilliant:

http://sultanknish.blogspot.com/2019...-not-guns.html

A taste:

"Guns are a tool. There are a whole lot of other devastating ways to kill lots of people.

American mass killers often use guns because they’re convenient and available. There are plenty of alternatives like trucks, boxcutters, pressure cooker bombs and paint cans full of gasoline.

Mass murder isn’t caused by the tools you use. The Nazis were not inspired to kill Jews by the invention of Zyklon B. The Japanese did not decide to kill hundreds of thousands of Chinese civilians because of the availability of airplanes. The Soviet Communists did not commit their acts of mass murder because their arms stockpiles didn’t need a waiting period to obtain machine guns for their mass shootings.

Murder is not a technical problem. It’s a moral problem. It happens because of internal decisions made in the mind, not external tools. The tools are used to implement the decisions of the mind. "

Most of the recipients of my emails acknowledged receipt of those emails through automated return emails. One of my US Senators wrote me a letter back assuring me that he was concerned about my concerns concerning the concerns I had. The rest of the time he assured me of how great he was and if I had read the whole thing, I'm sure he probably asked for contributions....

But then at the end of the letter he said, "I appreciate the opportunity to represent Texas in the United States Senate. I recognize we have differing opinions on this important matter, but I hope you will continue to share your views with me regarding issues of importance to you. Thank you for taking the time to contact me."

So, we have different views. His letter mimicked mine and yet we have different views? He didn't even read it, just sent me a form response.

We are in good hands. The swamp will save us.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 08-16-2019 at 07:12 PM.

Honest, Alan, I don't know how you get around that. A Senator must receive several thousand pieces of correspondence each week. I don't know how their staff has the capacity to even review them for subject matter let alone figure out which form response to send. I checked the box that said don't bother responding. Still, two of my representatives, one senator and my house rep, did respond and with pretty good responses. I feel pretty blessed to have such good folks in Congress from Indiana. They may never figure out what a Hoosier actually is but as long as they keep doing what they are doing I won't mind.

Both of my Senators are Republicans. That's my only choice in voting for them. One of them is okay, the other one is collecting a paycheck. My US rep is a DemocRat who followed the last crooked DemocRat into office in my Gerrymandered district. When I vote I don't check the party bloc box. I go through the whole form checking the Republican box on each candidate. If there's no Republican opposition, I don't check anything.

Since I was 18 I have only voted five or six times for someone I actually liked and wanted in office. The rest of the checked boxes were the lesser of some number of evils.

I did write George Bush I once and got what appeared to be a typed signed response. It's in one of my favorite files, somewhere...

Alan

There are two results of an electoral college - popular votes don't matter (Clinton - I didn't like her either - won the people's vote in the last presidential) and many people don't vote because they think their vote won't matter - and obviously they don't. Especially when people don't vote.

Aye, without the electoral college, Clinton would be in the White House....of course, without politicians looking for loupholes around the Constitution, Clinton wouldn't have even been running.

If you actually have legislators that listen, go ahead and contact them - most don't and that is supported by research. There are much more effective means of making political change but it's a little more effort and time intensive. But if we don't bring the fourth branch of government - the people - back online - we're not going to even have a United States of America for long. It's worth the effort.

Gilens, Martin and Benjamin I. Page (2014) Testing Theories of American Politics: Elites, Interest Groups, and Average Citizens. Perspectives on Politics, Volume 12, Issue 3, September 2014, pp. 564-581. Also available at http://amadorcountynews.org/2014-04/...20Citizens.pdf (accessed 6/24/19)

https://www.pewinternet.org/2016/12/...line-petitions accessed 7/1/19.

Hooton, Christopher (2017) "White House petition to save arts funding not registering signatures". Independent, Jan. 23, 2017. https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a7541631.html accessed 7/1/19

Carpenter, Daniel (2017) "Yes, signing those petitions makes a difference - even if they don't change Trump's mind". The Washington Post. Feb. 3, 2017. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.244a2c9bae8a accessed 7/1/19
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I just read where the walmart ceo is considering stopping the sale of firearms. Corporations are capitulating. States will too.

Who could be number one at selling and giving arms to the world while wanting to take ours? Who would militarize the enforcers? Why? The IRS really needs those ar-15s.

My prophetic self sees hard times for noncompliance. Any disruption will be blamed. The lies will continue until nothing is left.

The electoral college is one thing, SuperDelegates on the other hand are something else and there should be legislation against those. Especially those that pre-declare before the election.

That is where people feel they are not being heard. If more Democrats understood what those are, they might just not vote altogether.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Maybe that's why they didn't vote in the last election. Electors are not required to vote according to the popular will. Further, there are citizens of the US that don't even get to vote in presidential elections because places like Guam and American Samoa don't have electors.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

My conceal carry would become a Raven auto .25. If I had to turn it over that's what it would be. That's what they'd get anyway. Yep, that's the ticket.