Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What To Do With All of Those Tomatoes

Always been partial to epiphenomenalism myself.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Always been partial to epiphenomenalism myself.
    Wow! A new word in my vocabulary!

"Epiphenomenalism is the view that mental events are caused by physical events in the brain, but have no effects upon any physical events. ..."

How about cases in which there is no appreciable brain function? (Thinks about poor Rick. Begins to weep out of sympathy....)
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

(thumps Electroencephalogram) There. See? I've got brain function. Whoa! That's some funky lookin' Beta waves, though.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yeah - a good thump on the head works.......at least that's what my dad used to say.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    (thumps Electroencephalogram) There. See? I've got brain function. Whoa! That's some funky lookin' Beta waves, though.
    Must have just had a gulp of Red Bull.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

born 100 years to late - buttercup's Avatar

Default good chili sauce

remove skins and chop 1 peck of ripe tomatoes

add -

1/2 peck of diced onions
    1 # sugar
    1/2 cup of salt
    2 green and 2 red peppers
    1 teaspoon each of cinnamon, cloves and allspice
    4 whole cloves
    1 Tablespoon celery seed
    1 Tablespoon mustard seed

stir all to mix well. Simmer gently until thick. Add 1 pint of vinegar and boil briskly for 15 minutes. Pack in jars hot.
    If you love to read, visit -
    http://www.authorsden.com/mardapp

Cilantro is what salsa is all about. I'm specifically growing roma tomatoes and cilantro this year, plus my onions, just to make fresh salsa. It's the best. You can't get that quality in stores.

Rick, as far as the EEG, I didn't think beta wave patterns made a sad face...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Wrong, Brother Knowitall . It's always been The Wilderness Survival Forums Quality Control Department .

Go back and check the first posts.

Go back and see what you gave your holy blessing for.

Besides, only TRAX can approve Free Traxistan appointments (as HE did in this case) and only TRAX can accept bribes. Right, Nell?
    Exactly right Ken.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Thanks for the recipes buttercup,I have made catsup and salsa for a few years now and have not found a salsa recipe that I truely like,catsup,I make and replace the sugar with splenda,because I have not found catsup in the store that was sugar free.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

born 100 years to late - buttercup's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Thanks for the recipes buttercup,I have made catsup and salsa for a few years now and have not found a salsa recipe that I truely like,catsup,I make and replace the sugar with splenda,because I have not found catsup in the store that was sugar free.

I like the salsa recipe that I use because I am not a fan of cilantro - not at all - although I know people who love it. These recipes were my mother-in-laws that she used for years. I have been married for 47 years and used them all that time and love them. Hope some of the rest of you enjoy them, too.
    If you love to read, visit -
    http://www.authorsden.com/mardapp

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bulrush View Post
    Cilantro is what salsa is all about. I'm specifically growing roma tomatoes and cilantro this year, plus my onions, just to make fresh salsa. It's the best. You can't get that quality in stores.

Rick, as far as the EEG, I didn't think beta wave patterns made a sad face...
    Bulrush, skip me on the cilantro QC samples. Crash gets the whole load on this one. Just send me the tomatoes and onions. Overnight.

Cilantro, curry, and lemongrass - the terrible trio. If you have any recipies that use all three, skip Crash, too. Send em' to "Junior-Novice-Fledgling-Assistant-Apprentice-Looks Like He Eats Anything and Everything-Grunt-Gofer Quality Control Wanna'-Be" Rick. Fed-ex and Cold shipment won't be necessary. Just pack it safe in some pig manure and send it to Rick via 3rd. Class Delivery by way of a mail-drop in Lagos, Nigeria.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I'm going to grow two Brandywine Tomato plants indoors this year. My hope is that I can continue them through the winter into next spring and take cuttings off of them to plant in the garden. I'll have tomato plants in the garden naturally.

I was wondering if anyone has done that? I know the tomato plant would continue to grow so I'm wondering if you prune the plant at some point so it doesn't go nuts inside. I will sucker the plants but I'm concerned they will just get too large.

I would also like to know if you self pollinate the plant. Since it's inside, I would think you would need to use a Q tip to pollinate the flowers.

Any other points that you care to share.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick - I've taken cuttings from tomato plants that I liked. Worked pretty well. About cutting plants back to keep from getting too big --- I haven't done this intentionally. I have cut back plants that have given all the fruit that they're going to, and have browned due to the summer heat. As you know I've got mine in containers - cut them off about two inches above the soil. Had every intention of uprooting the old plant, but didn't. New plant started to grow, and actually produced some fruit. I wouldn't recommend cutting them back that far. If you've got several plants, experiment with how far you cut them back to see which works best.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The sets are about six inches tall so I'm going to plant them in a container, leave them outside, then bring them in before the cool air starts. I THINK (emphasized) that the cooler air in the fall may trigger the plant to stop producing much like leaves turning on the trees. I'm hoping that by bringing the plants inside I can prevent that from happening and extend fruit production throughout the winter.

Here’s an update on the container garden. Here’s a pic of the tomato plants just after they went into the pots.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Here they are today. For reference, the tops of the frames on each container are 6 ft off the ground. Not ripe yet, but getting closer.

Here’s the peppers.

This year is my first try at sweet potatoes (not in containers – TDW said no to the tires). They’re kind of taking over.

Last edited by crashdive123; 06-05-2008 at 06:58 PM. Reason: correct typo
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

AAaaarrrrgggggh! I put mine in the ground today. I still wouldn't trade you the longer growing season for the....alligators, fire ants, killer bees, monster termites or humidity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    AAaaarrrrgggggh! I put mine in the ground today. I still wouldn't trade you the longer growing season for the....alligators, fire ants, killer bees, monster termites or humidity.
    That's why Pest Control Experts play such a vital role in society!
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Living in the bug capital of the world ----- job security.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

Man, that look awesome. We still have frost in the ground in August and starts to snow again end of October.

I can only dream......

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I'm sorry, Buttercup. Apparently, our Administrator and Super Moderators neglected to include the mandatory Quality Control Department requirements in your welcome kit.

The Wilderness Survival Forums Quality Control Department (sanctioned by Grand Poobah Rick himself) was created to protect the health and safety of all members. I am honored to serve as its Director of Quality Control. The ever-capable Crashdive serves as Executive Deputy Director. Ours is truly an effort in public service. We are your friends.

What you should know is that all forum members are required to send copious samples of all food items to both Crash and me (for Quality Control Analysis ) at least one week prior to discussing or providing recipies for such food items in forum threads.

We will disregard your recent oversight, but now that you are aware of our strict policy, we trust that you will sin no more.

Please use Federal Express Overnight Delivery (cold shipment if necessary) for all samples provided.

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation!
    Careful Bacon Bandits... she may send you a box of rocks.. Nahh! I doubt it.