Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What To Do With All of Those Tomatoes

Strawberry plants, peppers and tomatoes went into the ground today. T minus 75 days and counting. Fire pinks are starting to bloom.
    Last edited by Rick; 06-06-2008 at 06:43 PM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

How invasive are the strawberries? I remember growing up we had rasberries that tried to take over the world.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I put out Ozark Beauties. They do put out runners but you can keep them pruned back to just two or three. I had strawberry plants years ago (don't know what variety) and never had any trouble with them. You can, of course, order strawberries that do not put out runners. The are just little bushes that put out strawberries.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

So.. now we know that all you tough survivalist hombres on this site have a softer side.. Growin' Maters!!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    How invasive are the strawberries? I remember growing up we had rasberries that tried to take over the world.
    I'll send a few of my raspberries down to ya Crash.. they are presently seeing what my neighbors yard is like.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Strawberry plants, peppers and tomatoes went into the ground today. T minus 75 days and counting. Fire pinks are starting to bloom.
    Rick, the tomatoes,potatoes,and peppers are all in bloom,the lettuce is ready to harvest ( 3 varieties),and have been picking spinach for a couple of weeks the radishes are done,and I could plant another round of them,but right now just wondering if they are gonna tear up the garden when the move the old house out,and the new one in. Oh well.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge Wolf View Post
    I'll send a few of my raspberries down to ya Crash.. they are presently seeing what my neighbors yard is like.
    Wish I had the room in the yard for rasberries. Currently working on TDW to give up some of her fire bushes so I can put in an orange and a lemon tree. If that doesn't work, I'll start working on one of the neighbors. I'll plant them and take care of them and split the harvest. I'll probably have better luck with option two (can't take anything away that the hummingbirds like).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

born 100 years to late - buttercup's Avatar

have my strawberries planted in a kid's large swimming pool; works great. Have done that for three years now.
    If you love to read, visit -
    http://www.authorsden.com/mardapp

I guess I could make another container and give them a try.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

born 100 years to late - buttercup's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Rick, the tomatoes,potatoes,and peppers are all in bloom,the lettuce is ready to harvest ( 3 varieties),and have been picking spinach for a couple of weeks the radishes are done,and I could plant another round of them,but right now just wondering if they are gonna tear up the garden when the move the old house out,and the new one in. Oh well.
    Nell, you aren't too far behind us - my spinach is done, have eaten lettuce several times, beets are nearly ready to pickle and we have tomatoes about the size of a tennis ball. Lots of strawberries and the cherries are getting ripe.
    Love garden time!!!
    If you love to read, visit -
    http://www.authorsden.com/mardapp

Same here on the lettuce and spinach. I sow seed on Valentine's Day even if snow is on the ground. I'll pull most of the radishes this morning if these storms ever let up. My carrots are in a large container because the soil is so rocky. The raspberries I planted on a trellis owned by my wife's clematis. I'll just keep them pruned back.

I know blossom end rot is a caused by a shortage of calcium in the soil. I was wondering if any of you add calcium and if so do you just add some lime or is there some other type you add to ward off blossom end rot.

The last several years I've just used lime. This is the first year I'm doing Heirlooms. I had read that they were more prone to blossom rot, so I did add some calcium this year.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel