Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What To Do With All of Those Tomatoes

Default What To Do With All of Those Tomatoes

Just checked the garden. Looks like a banner crop of tomatoes this year. We usually end up giving more away than we keep. It is a long growing season here, and I can get a second and sometimes third crop producing. The ones I start in mid summer are usually "heat wave" tomatoes. They do very well, but just a bit bigger than cherry tomatoes. Here's an Instructable on freezing tomatoes so that you can enjoy them year round. http://www.instructables.com/id/Free...r-tomato-crop/
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I love drying home grown tomatoes. Tastes like candy.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

I still have tomato sauce in the freezer from last summer. If you haven't done this before, the skins slide right off. It's easy peasy.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yes sir Crash mine are doing well too, we picked a few Early Girls and pinl beefsteaks yeasterday. My wife cans them and I was thinking about drying some, thanks for the linkk I'll try that.
    Any goverment big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have...T Jefferson

Have I told you guys that I'm not fond of you? Mine aren't even in the ground yet. I've picked lettuce. Does that count?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Absolutely. Without it you'd just be eating bacon sandw.....never mind. Salads need lettuce.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I haven't even been able to pick lettuce yet, with all of the flooding we have been having in my area everything keeps getting soaked and the seeds rot in the ground. I think my potatoes floated away a long time ago!

Still too cold to plant anything up here yet. We had a heavy frost overnight a oucple of nights ago. Be another couple of weeks before veggie plants go out. Leaves are not even completely out on some hardwoods. I am soooo jealous.!!!!!
    ~Earth receives foot and paw, hoof and claw with equal grace. But it is the way of the wild not to overstep...let's leave no trace that wind, rain and snow cannot erase~

Quote Originally Posted by LadyTrapper View Post
    Still too cold to plant anything up here yet. We had a heavy frost overnight a oucple of nights ago. Be another couple of weeks before veggie plants go out. Leaves are not even completely out on some hardwoods. I am soooo jealous.!!!!!
    Your in worse shape than we are. We put our spuds in the ground yesterday probably put the starts in next week. The birch leaves are about the size of my thumb nail.

same here lots of frost this week set a new record for low temps end of may but hopefully plant first week of june
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll trade you dozens of eggs for fresh tomatoes...we had a case of beaver fever or something like it, and now barf every time we eat boiled or scrambled eggs...only way the body accepts them now is in cake :-( So here we are, 2 people, getting an average of 6 eggs a day, with nobody but our lone neighbour to relieve us of some. Ran out of vinegar to pickle them, have no sodium silicate to waterglass them, and the first trip out/getting supplies in is still 6 weeks away....
    Actions speak louder than words

Be happy to send you some when they get closer. How's UPS delivery in your remote location?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

WW - You had a thread that talked about the best way to preserve eggs. You don't need to waterglass or pickle them. They will do fine for six weeks.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...t=storing+eggs

Just now thinking about planting. Heavy frost a couple of nights ago.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    WW - You had a thread that talked about the best way to preserve eggs. You don't need to waterglass or pickle them. They will do fine for six weeks.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...t=storing+eggs
    Yes I remember...thing is we are already sitting on 13 dozens, many of which are by now a few weeks old and can't store them at cool temperatures (having an unseasonal heatwave). Anyway, the youngest dog got into a porcupine a few days ago and has been lame ever since and my boyfriend now decided to take him out to the vet after all and re-schedule other things...to make a long and very convoluted story short, he's on the lake now with 10 dozens, headed for civilization.
    Actions speak louder than words

Personally I love canning tomatoes.
    Stewed whole or sauced. One of my favs was tomato soup.
    In my youth my mother would put up dozens of quarts. Now if I can get in one batch I see it as a victory. Also because of the acidy level tomatoes are very easy to put up for the beginner.

WW...good call on the vet visit for the dog. We just went through that ourselves...the longer they are in (the quills) the deeper they go with more complications. Our Rottie had to be muzzled and put to sleep to remove the ones in his feet. He jumped right on top of the porcupine before he bit into it.
    Not a happy camper was he LOL
    In tune with the topic....
    Love tomatoes...you can do so much with them...but what I like the best is the meat tenderizing properties it has. Just lay slices tomatos over some tough meat and bake in the oven for a melt in your mouth meal !!!!
    ~Earth receives foot and paw, hoof and claw with equal grace. But it is the way of the wild not to overstep...let's leave no trace that wind, rain and snow cannot erase~

Quote Originally Posted by LadyTrapper View Post
    Love tomatoes...you can do so much with them...but what I like the best is the meat tenderizing properties it has. Just lay slices tomatos over some tough meat and bake in the oven for a melt in your mouth meal !!!!
    I hadn't heard that before. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Nor I but it makes sense because of the acid content Dan referenced.

Banned

I've never canned tomatoes. Granny used to. Ours rarely ever even get ripe. I love fried green tomatoes.