Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coon problem!

Default Coon problem!

I live on a small creek, and I知 being invaded by coons! I have been shooting at them with a co2 BB gun, but only hit them occasionally because I知 trying to shoot left handed! I live here in a neighborhood and can稚 shoot anything that shoots loud for obvious reasons! I知 wondering if a Ruger
    Mk4 semi auto pistol with suppressor would cycle with sub sonic .22 ammo? These coons are tearing up my new grill, and are trying to take over my deck, and that are relentless! Ps I知 getting better at shooting left handed, right eye dominant! Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! HELLLLLLLLLLP!
    Sir Knife Collectin, Rocket Ridin, Girl Crazy Post
    Hoe of WSF

I have tried to avoid killing them but I知 getting desperate!
    Hoe of WSF

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If you are going the suppressor route then go straight to 9mm and don't waste your time with a .22.

Get a 9 and put a red dot on it. That will greatly eliminate the problem of using your "master eye". It would also make a good general purpose home defense platform for one handed use.

I was never able to reliably kill coons with one shot, especially at night, until I stepped up to .223 and a .38/.357 rifle. Fortunately for me there were more options back then and I was able to get Rossi SS in .223 and an H&R in .38/.357.

Even the most powerful of .177 and .22 pellet rifles barely touch the power level of a .22 short. I have two of the more powerful beasts and they are inadequate for more than a sitting rabbit of squirrel.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Kyrat, I must have something that痴 quiet, easy to cock with one hand, and light weight! Is that possible?
    Hoe of WSF

Ps, if I can just put a hurtin on them I値l be happy with that!
    Hoe of WSF

Wildthang, you might look at the slide racker or similar product. It might work for you. The slide racker is made for the Glock but a Glock in .9mm as Kyrat suggested might not be a bad choice for you. Look close and you'll see a video on that page just below the picture of the product. Check out the video and you can see how it works. They do make a conversion kit in .22 for the Glock so it might give you the best of both worlds. Good luck.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...prod42165.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EgLNGXM3-o

Thanks Rick, I think that will work! I see you池e not just another pretty face😳
    Hoe of WSF

What about an Airbow?http://www.crosman.com/airbow
    They are a little pricey, but they are quiet, could be operated with one arm and eliminate some of the possible discharging a firearm in the neighborhood problems.
    Last edited by chiggersngrits; 07-30-2019 at 09:05 PM.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

Well i tried something different last night and it was funny as heck! Those coons are so ravenous that they ate cat food sprinkled with cayenne pepper the other night, everything I read on the net said they hated it! So I thought why not try something hotter. So I bought a bottle of Dave’s Insanity, some insanely hot sauce! I fixed a paper plate with a little cat food soaked in that stuff and set where we could see it, right by the door! Well within an hour we had 6 coons shaking their head violently and rubbing their eyes! That could hardly walk when the Dave’s kicked in, and I didn’t see them for the rest of the evening! I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes! A small victory for me in the war with the coons��
    Hoe of WSF

I know they will be back but I also hit 3 of them with my co2 BB pistol before they could run away! Now they are really scared when they come in my back yard instead of looking through the back door like they own the place!
    Hoe of WSF

WT the problem with air guns is that by the time you get to the power levels needed to accomplish what you are trying the noise will be just as loud as a .22, with 1/3 the power.

Honestly, I would go to the 9mm with suppressor. In the situation you had last night you would have had 6 dead coons with no more sound than a hand clap.

As for being easy to cock with one hand, that is up for ingenuity to work out. When I was shooting combat courses back in the old days we used to do weak hand drills. Accomplishing all the functions of loading and firing using only the weak hand. I had a 1911 all tricked out with ambidextrous safety and slide lock lever. I even abandoned my trusty recoil spring guide so I could hook the end of the slide, under the barrel, on a hard surface and rack the slide with one hand. The 1911 and Hi-Power are excellent for that exercise.

Now days many pistols come with those feature already there. they are not there to accommodate lefties, as some suppose, but to make operation of the last ditch weapon by a wounded soldier possible.

There are also a lot of pistols now furnished with threaded barrels, and not at extraordinary prices.

I知 looking at 9 mm Kyrat, you have me sold on that idea. I知 gonna win one way or the other my brother😁
    Hoe of WSF

Kyrat can I get a threaded barrel for a Glock?
    Hoe of WSF

The 17, 19, 21 and 23 all come with a threaded barrel option. I don't own a Glock and probably never will. I think they are the butt ugliest things on the planet (IM less than HO). But I will say anything and everything you have ever dreamed about tricking out your firearm has been made for them. They seem to be the AR15 of the handgun world.

Rick has think their ugly too, but I bought I real cheap, and it never missfires or jams!
    Hoe of WSF

Tool & Die Maker

I had a raccoon in the crawl space of our summer home. The coon ate bars of Decon like it was candy. I was desperate as well and read on the internet to kill raccoons get some "Golden Maldren" (fly bait) Place in a dish then add regular Coca-Cola. The mixture actually boils at first. They claim coons will drink that stuff and walk 20' and drop dead. Also heard the coons would die while drinking and die with their face in the dish.

The issue with this fly bait is it is not selective and will kill anything that drinks it. Be sure pets if you have any are isolated from the fly bait. You will need to stand guard over the solution and make sure only the coons come in contact. Use the pellet gun to drive off non target critters. Now I keep fly bait in the Crawl space all the time. I figure any animal in the crawl space should die regardless. Certainly cured my winter time rodent problem. Brutal but effective. It could even be a bad idea but it works.

You need to make a video of coons eating the hot sauce. Trail cameras take videos as well as pictures. I would love to see that video.

If I remember correctly Rat Shooter declared WAR on raccoons, "The great raccoon wars". I'm not sure if he won the war or the raccoons!!!
    Last edited by jim Glass; 08-02-2019 at 06:30 PM.

I use a live trap (Havaheart) for them. Once they are in the trap they are easy to do whatever needs to be done. I take them to a local lake in a national park and set them free. Found out the first time that they will @#$% and &*@! all over the back of my truck and that that smell takes a while to go away.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Revenge is best served warm...so they say.

I used a Tender Trap some back during the Raccoon War. They work OK on young ones and kits but I caught a big old boar coon in it one night and he proceeded to turn the trap from square to round, then roll it down the hill. I found him still in the trap and boy was he p!$$ed!

Problem with using a tender trap for infestations is that Coons often come in mass and it can take forever trying to trap them one at a time.

WT if you already have a 9mm the new barrel will be the cheapest way to go. You will still have the tax stamp to deal with and the wait for the paperwork to be approved.

Buds Gun Shop down in Lexington deals with suppressors in volume and can probably do better on price than a local shop anywhere.