Thread: Another chat

Default Another chat

Hello folks. When I visit this site I receive a prompt to submit participate more. Since its been a while, although I tried this yesterday and I didn’t show up that I know of. I will do my part.
    I’m always trying to figure out how I can do more easier. And since I haven’t been able to get out to our remote cabin since last January so I can get my wilderness fix seems to have me thinking about all the projects and fun i could be having there. Been working on a 1983 Honda 3 wheeler that i want to get to the cabin for this season moose hunt. Since getting there means a flight on a 185 Cessna ( bush plane) then a 2 mile walk. So since I have to disassemble it to get it into the plane I want to replace all the bearings and such. A general overhaul. This always leads to, I have to do x y z before anything. Jeesh.
    Glad I enjoy this stuff and am set up . My beautiful wife was looking at CL and came across a Suzuki king quad for 600 bucks. Went to look at it, offered 5 . Score , he also had a Kawasaki 250 3 wheeler I asked about. He said haul it if I wanted it. Along with its new tires. I gave him 60 bucks for feeling guilty.
    Got the quad home and rebuilt the carburetor with a 18 dollar kit. Now we have another good running Suzuki KQ with 2400 miles on it. We already have one we bought new in 93 , has over 8500 miles. Got a low miles 2000 KQ at the cabin also. Yeah 3 KQ to keep running. Was going to send it to the cabin but my beautiful wife wants to keep that one here . So now I will freight the polaris 6 wheeler to the cabin the freeze. Need a work rig there as hauling moose is hard.
    As you can see, I like, my toys. Mostly keep them all going so I can share with my family and friends. Also have 6 snogos, 2 which we are putting atv tires on for summer use. Going to sell the snow cat this year as I’m getting kind of stretched out. Although I plan on building a new swamp buggy using a 83 F -250 as a base. I currently have one built from a 59 GMC . Beautiful wife would do better with an automatic transmission and power steering so that is what we will do.
    Being able to teach my kids and now grandson how to do these kinds of skills is important to me. And using those skills so we can spend more time in the most beautiful wilderness anywhere. Certainly makes me feel like the most blessed man in the world. I will try to post some pictures.

Sounds great. Cabin looks cozy.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sounds like you have a lot to keep you busy.

Default Just spending time

Yeah Rick, staying busy is not a problem. We homeschooled our kids so finding projects was just what we do. And teaching our kids that family and God are the priority. We raised rabbits, chickens, turkeys, for meat. Also had lots of dogs a couple cats birds,fish,goats, horses and probably a few more. Our daughter and our grandson live with us now, my life is GREAT by the way, and she wants to get back into raising rabbits again and hanging with my grandson every day is wonderful. I am looking forward to being able to all the things outdoors as we can . Daughter bought a beautiful Chesapeake for grandson. She felt that every little boy should grow up with their own dog and since she grew up with chessy’s thats what she, and my beautiful wife got. I found out we were getting a dog when we were going to pick her up at the airport. Smart ladies , I love my family. This is the first female chess we have had 2 males prior over the years and chessy’s have a special place in my heart. At 9 months I’m very impressed. I am teaching her to hurt moose antlers. Great dog chews worth 20 bucks a pound. And what could be better in life than running around in the woods with grandson and good dog out in the middle of nowhere and no one.
    And knowing that my family will always have a special place in Ak to go to. Where they hunt for moose n bears. Trap wolves, lynx, n others. And I get to teach them. Yes I do tell folks that I feel like the most blessed man in the world.
    Kind of blabbered on a bit but it looks like a slow easy day anyhow. Have a great day all.

Hello folks. I have a few good stories so I will give it a try. One evening while at the cabin with my beautiful wife during moose season we headed upstairs to go to bed after I got home shortly after dark from hunting. Got a good meal and off to bed. We get into bed and beautiful wife asks, do you hear that? Hear what, I wear hearing aids so I ask what does it sound like? She says goats. Since we used to raise goats she knew the sound well. I got up and opened the door to the deck. Sure enough, sounded like goats but that in not going to be happening here. I instantly recognized the sounds of our local pack of wolves. They were taking down a yearling moose. Which by fall are probably 500 lbs animals, not small. And within a hundred yards or so from us. The sounds carried clearly . We listened for a while and things quieted down. The next morning we were scheduled to meet the plane at 10 am. We were loading gear while listening to the wolves have breakfast. We usually use the wheeler to bring my beautiful wife to the lake and this was the last trip for the fall. Or unfrozen part of the year. So usually that means dropping beautiful wife off and me driving the wheeler back to the cabin to be put away till next year. Which entails storing it in a just big enough lean to on the generator shed. So the bears don’t eat it. Then walk the 2 miles back to the lake. Well it didn’t take her much to convince me to just leave the wheeler at the lake. Planning to put it on a sled and freight it to the cabin when it snowed. Thats another story but i can say the sled we were going to use is still stuck at the trail head where we go from taiga to woods. And just for fun some smart ace wolf even took a dump right on top of it. Backed right up and pooped on my stuck freight sled. Well we ended up leaving the wheeler covered by a tarp at the lake . And my beautiful wife, and me , didn’t have to worry about me walking around while a pack of wolves were on the hunt. But they always are anyway. The next summer on the first trip out was full of concern about how bad the bears would eat our wheeler. Got lucky and only had the tarp ripped up. Seat totally shredded , bite marks on the plastic and hole in tire.
    Life in the wilderness. I love it. Maybe this will inspire some others to share their wilderness survival stories. Have a great day all.
    If someone could help me, I can’t figure out how to post pictures. Got lucky earlier.

Here you go. Imgur is a really good platform to host your pictures on then posting them here is easy peasy. Here are instructions for posting.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...s-on-the-Forum

Thanks Rick. Here goes. I times out and says error. And I don’t know how to cut and paste. Cut and stack logs I can do.

Well, I need to know when it timed out and what you were doing. Were you attempting to use the Insert Image icon in the gray box?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

A simple way to prevent losing a longer post (timing out) is to click the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of your reply box. As long as the software "sees" you doing something it will not time out. I think (not positive) that unless there is activity that is recognized (typing a post is does not count) within 15 minutes of the last activity it will time out. Longer posts or periods of inactivity will do that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Oh, I didn't think about the inactivity thingy. Yeah, what he said.

Thanks. I type a brief explanation. Our cabin pictures. Push the go advanced. Have tried pushing the picture icon and the manage attachment. Goes to insert image. Push from computer. Go to picture, select. Push upload pics and then it times out. The little spinning sun dial thing starts spinning till I get an error msg. Might be because or internet reception is not so great. Provider says we are at the end of the line. Then i hit the x and cancel out. Will try it again.

Good stuff! Sounds like an epic lifestyle!

That does sound like your internet connection. Imgur.com is a free photo hosting service. All you have to do is sign up then you can upload your picture there. It has the BB code in the right hand side to paste here so all you have to do is click on it then come here and paste it (right click your mouse and select paste). It's pretty easy. If Crash and I can make it work, anybody can.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Rick: Over by that tree.
    Crash: Tree? That's a rock.
    Rick: Yeah. Whatever.

Hello all, I’ve been trying regularly to post pictures but still having trouble. But will keep trying. Heading to cabin next week for moose season. Hopefully will have more hanging meat pictures.