Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goats and Sheep...

Default Goats and Sheep...

i've haven't killed and cleaned an animal in probably over twenty years, and twenty years ago it was a deer. i wanted to know just how much meat is on a sheep or goat. assuming you smoke some, jerkify some, and freeze some, how long, or how many meals could one goat or one sheep provide for a family of three people?

i guess nobody eats goat n sheep around here... shame, really. i saw two goat "bucklings" on craigslist for $150.

Give it time LTLG. Kind of like hunting. Those with experience in the area you are seeking knowledge will come along and the BAM!!!! answers will be plentiful. .......or if you prefer I could make something up and try and pass it off as if I knew what I was talking about.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Just bought 2 doe kids for $40 each. The meat is similar to deer IMO.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

A friend has sheep and "fainting" goats. Fainting goats are bred to faint when startled. I could ask her how much meat on the goats, but I don't think she gets a chance to eat many. She spins her own yarn from the sheep wool and the fainting goats are just there for the wolves. When the wolves show up, the sheep run, the goats faint, and the wolves eat the goats instead of the sheep.

A while back, one of the county workers was driving by in a truck. Truck backfired and all the goats fainted. The fella came to the door, hat in hand, and said, "Ma'am, I don't know exactly what I did, but I think I just killed all your goats."
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

Depends on the goat you get as well,you have dairy goats,and you have meat goats,which have considerably more meat than the dairy breeds,a good meat breed to look for,is Boer goats which is what I just bought.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

LTLG - Here's some info on raising meat goats http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/meatgoat.html Looks like about 200lbs per.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have a pet goat, but things haven't gotten bad enough for me to think of her as livestock. The next time she jumps up on my car I'll let you know. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Pict - You can do an instructional vid on goat skinning. Or car body repair if the family disagrees.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    LTLG - Here's some info on raising meat goats http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/meatgoat.html Looks like about 200lbs per.
    wow, thanks! that's a lot of rancher lingo, but a lot of good information

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Just bought 2 doe kids for $40 each. The meat is similar to deer IMO.
    i read that most holidays use kids. do people not eat adult goats? is the taste much different?

When we had our angora buck (may 3-4 years old) butchered, I had almost all the meat turned into burger since it was very lean. We did have some "lamb"/goat chops and a couple of leg roasts as well. I'd say maybe we had 45-60 lbs of meat from a 150 lb goat. It's been a while, so I've forgotten the details exactly. The meat didn't totally fill up our freezer or anything.

We've sold bucklings for ethnic Easter dinners - between $25 and $40 each depending on how old.

Thanks for the info bourne. How about grinding your way over to the Introduction section and tell a bit about yourself.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh...I thought you meant wild goats and was just going to say that one mountain goat would feed 3 people for maybe 1-2 months, depending on how much meat you eat...Guess if you get milk goats, you have to keep them kidding in order to have milk, so you could slaughter the kids once they're a certain size. That would keep you in both milk and meat.
    Actions speak louder than words

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Pict - You can do an instructional vid on goat skinning. Or car body repair if the family disagrees.
    I actually like the goat, car not withstanding. She comes when you call her and insists on fake head butting me when I come home. They are totally unlike dogs, though she runs with my two pit bulls like she's part of the pack. They even sleep all snuggled up, its kind of wierd.

I am hoping to do a deer butchering video if I get the chance this year. Mac

that would be great pict- a skill i do not have would love to see other than reading
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Banned

We bought a goat to butcher. (I assume it's done just like a deer) But we (I) got attached to it and kept it around. I had him tied off to eat the undergrowth and a Husky came along and chewed him up so bad we had to put him down.

The good thing about him was that he would eat anything. The bad thing about him was that he would eat anything.

Sam,

I have a 1000 square meter walled property here. I bought the goat to eat weeds but she's a high class high maintenence type goat who only eats ornamental shrubs. She won't touch a weed until I start cutting them down, then she eats as many as she can stuff in her gut before I kill them all. That's evil. Mac

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pict View Post
    Sam,

I have a 1000 square meter walled property here. I bought the goat to eat weeds but she's a high class high maintenence type goat who only eats ornamental shrubs. She won't touch a weed until I start cutting them down, then she eats as many as she can stuff in her gut before I kill them all. That's evil. Mac
    I might know how to cure that.
    http://www.jackmauldin.com/goat_recipes.htm

i'd rather skin goats or sheep then pigs....i've heard its better to pen either animal up and feed them corn for a week or so before you put them in the freezer also what little bit experience i've had cooking mutton wasnt real good i'd stick to goat or alpaca, a goat that can spit.
    Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect. Steven Wright (1955 - )

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. Douglas Adams