Thread: Great Day!

Default Great Day!

Spent the day at the range with one of the grandsons yesterday. It was pretty warm but what a great day. We don't get to do that as often as we'd like. Had lunch together afterwards. Started cleaning weapons this morning. For some reason cleaning is not as much fun as shooting but I enjoy that as well.

I was inspecting the SKS as I cleaned it and found two tiny chips out of the end of the gas rod. Should have take some pics for your enjoyment but didn't think about it at the time. I've ordered a replacement and will take some snaps when I change it out. Probably no problem. God knows those things will fire if they are wrapped around a tree but I am just not comfortable with anything less than perfect, especially when my kids and grand kids are shooting them. I'll toss the used one in the box of parts for an emergency but it was interesting it was chipped. I think the gas rod is part of the 922r compliant parts. I couldn't find a name on it so I'm not certain of that. Anywhoo, I purchased a US one made by Poly Technologies. They make them in Atlanta. The company is Chinese owned, however, and the parent company is the original Chineses SKS importer into the U.S. under the name KFS industries. My SKS is a Yugo.

Sounds like a great day indeed. I need some range time, we hadn't had a lot in the last year before he got sick.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Any day with grandkids is a great day. Sounds like you had one!

For rugged simplicity, the SKS is hard to beat. I should really clean the gas system on mine (Russian) more often (or at all). It's been years since I've shot it and I think I've only cleaned the gas system once even when I was shooting it. I bought it in the early 90s and paid $77 for it out the door at a gun show. Odd thing about it is, I got it at a gun show in a private sale and I've never committed a crime with it or threatened or shot anyone with it....

Alan

Sounds like a good day. Glad you enjoyed it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well, it's not an evil black gun so you wouldn't have. It's more of a "well, it will probably happen some day you just wait and see" rifle. Those evil black guns are for sure gonna happen.

Glad you had a good day. Course a BAD day at the range beats a GOOD day at work every day of the week!
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I replaced the piston rod in mine several years ago just to get to 922 compliance when I replaced the stock. It is one of the few parts on an SKS that can be changed to meet the requirements.

I also have mine out of the EBR classification with a sporter stock, scope and 5 round mag for hunting.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Swapped out the gas rod on the SKS. Here's a pic of the new one next to the old one. If you look close you can see two tiny chips out of the edge of the old gas rod. About the 8 o'clock position.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.