Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2019 Hurricane season, Generator hook up notes

DCorlando, there's something wrong with your shop. I can see the floor and workbench top.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I do hope you let the #1 wife out on occasion.
    I ran an informal experiment once. I put her and the dog in there and came back the next day to see which one was happy to see me!.....

The experiment was an utter failure.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    That's kinda what I was thinking. 3 sides and a roof. Maybe a removable roof for maintenance. Some kind of anchor in concrete. We've had it for years and it has single digit hours on it.
    I have had mine for years too but it has over 240 hours on it. Generac Pro grade with oil pressure pump and spin on oil filter. Still runs as good now as it did new.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    DCorlando, there's something wrong with your shop. I can see the floor and workbench top.

Alan
    It's because of that rowdy stick arc welder, every time I use it it tries to set something on fire so I have to keep things tidy. ;-)

Running a generator inside a closed garage falls inline with grilling inside a garage. Neither are on my bucket list of things to do. If I can't run the genny outside because it's raining then I run it in the garage with the door open. Since it doesn't run the furnace or air, there is nothing to draw the fumes inside the house. I make certain the exhaust is pointed outside the open door of the garage.

I keep looking at the Generac. I'd have to have NG install since I'm all electric and I'm not crazy about the idea of having NG installed just for the Generac and I can't have a big propane tank here.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Once you get on line with the gas they will also hit you for a minimum charge monthly even if you do not use any gas.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Yeah, then there's that.

I have a propane generac. Just a little 8K but it runs the furnace, the sump pump, the fridge and freezer. Our hot water heats off the boiler for the heat so no high draw there.

The worst part is all the rules we have here about where you can place the tanks, how far they have to be from the house, how they can't be anyplace you can run into them with a vehicle, and how far away they need to be from any source of ignition, like the genny itself.

Well....maybe the worst part was digging the underground line trench through all the tree roots and glacial till (rocks) here. Had to go down 3 feet for a 15' trench with a hand shovel, axe and crowbar. The best part was the stump of a tree someone had cut down maybe 30 years ago. Couldn't have hit that more dead nuts center if I had known it was there. Add chainsaw to the list.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Isn't that always the case? It's the stupid stuff that gets you. I was working with guy one time and he put down a 3/8" ground rod and drove it into a 1/2" copper water line. He had a whole house to put that rod down and the very spot he put it down he drove it smack into a half inch water line. You can't plan that kind of bad luck.

We have a whole house Cummins/Onan. We live in the mountains where power outages are a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by VnVet View Post
    We have a whole house Cummins/Onan. We live in the mountains where power outages are a way of life.
    we have a generator here too, and we live in the city. But having a generator is always a good thing.
    I own some stuff, and I know some things. But that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by VnVet View Post
    but it's not a diesel-only generator, it can run with gas or ethanol too.
    I own some stuff, and I know some things. But that's all.

Ours runs on propane.

During the snow/ice/freezing rain, it makes enough power to run everything. I was watching TV and the wife said I'm doing laundry, running the dryer, and cooking; is that OK? I said it sure appears to be OK.

Did you know the best way to stop electrical power outages?
    Answer: buy a whole house generator. :lool:
    Since it was installed, only one power outage in January 2022.

There are two rules with generators. The first one is shut off the mains in the electric panel. The power company had a few workers electrocuted because someone plugged a whole house generator into a dry (dead) 240 VAC outlet and never shut the main breakers off.
    The second is whole house generator need to be exercised or the battery will be dead when the power is out.