Thread: MEDICAL ID in time of EMERGENCY

Blog Entries

Thumbs up MEDICAL ID in time of EMERGENCY

We all try and control the things around us and keep alert when things fall apart. We try and keep our world safe as well as our family members. But "WHAT IF YOU HAVE NO CONTROL" who can help you? Help you tell the doctors of any medical conditions that you or a family member may have?

It is my hope this never happens to you. But let's say for example you're out driving when an accident happens? You may be out rock climbing and take a fall? Maybe just walking down a street and attacked and knocked unconscious. Who can tell the rescuers who you are? Blood type? the phone number of someone to be contacted for you? Some may have medical conditions that require medications.

A first responder is trained to help you, but only to a point. They do not know your medical report card of health, they do not know who you would like contacted. Or maybe your child has fallen did you know you can still be in charge and help the first responders help your family member(s) even yourself when you can not talk to them.

On your, iPhone is a FREE APP from Apple called "MEDICAL ID" The APP is a WHITE SQUARE with a RED HEART inside.

The responding first responder only has to pick up your IPhone even if LOCKED and on the locked screen on the bottom is "EMERGENCY" next they will see the words "MEDICAL ID" once they press it will only open your medical ID information you want a first responder POLICE OFFICER or FIRE PARAMEDIC personnel to know about you.

Here is how you set this MEDICAL APP on your iPhone up for yourself or a family member. Click on the MEDICAL ID APP, On the bottom are four little menu selections, select the called MEDICAL ID gray cross bars.

enter your NAME, Medical Conditions, Medical Notes, Allergies & Reactions, Medications, Blood Type, Emergency Contact(s).

Now with every APP, you will have to make some setting changes. Here attached is more helpful information for you about how to set up the APP on your own iPhone.

home_health.jpg

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207021

UNDERSTAND ONCE YOU HAVE SET UP THE APP NO OTHER INFORMATION ON YOUR PHONE IS ACCESSIBLE, only the MEDICAL ID APP ONLY.

If you ever have a problem with your iPhone you can always call the APPLE Help desk and have someone walk you through a fix: 800 694-7466
    Last edited by DogMan635; 05-24-2019 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Medical attachments spellings fixes

Cool. That's a lot better than 2 dog tags with your name and blood type.

I have no known allergies and my meds aren't necessary for life in the short term. But I'm using an app to record a lot of info physically and medically.

Good to know.

Wonderful advice! Thanks DogDude!
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

What if I do not want just any goofball volunteer from the SAR having access to my health records with the push of a button?

Much less just any random person that happens to pick up my phone and start pushing random buttons.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    What if I do not want just any goofball volunteer from the SAR having access to my health records with the push of a button?

Much less just any random person that happens to pick up my phone and start pushing random buttons.
    Lol. That is so you, man. Don't ever change. T

Blog Entries

Old GI, Thanks buddy for the new name. lol Stay safe and keep the head on a swivel.

Blog Entries

Madmax

Thanks, stay cool yourself hanging ten, lol.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

kyratshooter,

Simple, don't do it and best of luck to you in the next adventure story. It's just an option.

Mine is just going to say, "Don't listen to her, I'm still alive!"

Seriously, I have a small laminated paper next to my Dr.Lic. that has all my current info on it. I have ICE (In Case of Emergency) numbers on my phone. I only have one added app on my phone, Zello.

Thanks for the info though.

Alan

Blog Entries

Alan,

Your welcome happy and honored you enjoyed the post and that you have a way for others to help you when unavailable to do so yourself. Do hope you got the 800 Apple number should you have any iPhone issues. Take Care and thanks for the read.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If my medical record privacy is so important that the federal government blocks access to them with a federal law and the hospital has to see two forms of ID to release my records to ME, and I can not get advice from my own doctor over the phone because he is not sure who I am,

then why on earth would I make those same records accessible to anyone that happened to pick up a lost phone?

Yes we have a federal law that keeps your medical records safe and private, as they should be.

Those laws are specifically designed to protect one from prejudice, discrimination, fraud, and blackmail. I have seen what people do to each other when they get access to this kind of information.

Neither the medical community, the first responder community, the general public, and especially family members is to be trusted without regard, that is why the HIPPA law exists.

You can stick your whole life history out there for the world to see if you want too but they are going to have to be satisfied with my medic-alert bracelet.

That is all they get until I tell them in person or the ER doctor calls my doctor.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Yep. What Kyrat said.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

If anyone read my medical history they'd pay me to take it back. There are just some things you can't unsee no matter how bad you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If anyone read my medical history they'd pay me to take it back. There are just some things you can't unsee no matter how bad you want to.
    Why, they wouldn't even have to go through your medical history. All they have to do is register here.