Thread: Mini van

Default Mini van

I bought a mini van a couple of years ago for taking cross country trips with the sheapards. Well, it’s worked out and it hasn’t been bad. The mini van has been cost effective. About as cheap as they come. I could buy three of these for the price of a new truck. It’s like the multi tool of vehicles. It can do a lot of different things but none are perfect. You can haul six passengers or a sheet of plywood. The lower entry is nice but ground clearance could be an issue. I’ve driven this thing through blizzards and it’s done well with it’s front wheel drive. I have taken a snooze in the back when you need forty winks (not the most comfortable). It gets about 28 mpg for both city and highway. It’s a passive soccer mom looking vehicle. I’ve still got the farm truck for hauling and pulling stuff.

Yep. I had minis when my wife was alive and when the kids were growing up. I always had a pickemup truck but the minis took the vacations and such. Always enjoyed them. Cram them full of gear and people and they went and came home. Couldn't ask for more. Never had many problems. Never anything serious.

I've had trucks, in their various configurations, and most manners of car type vehicles from Honda Civics, Pinto station wagons, and full sized Oldsmobiles. We've worn out a couple of Suburbans (which really didn't take that long), but I've never owned a van or a minivan (or a motorcycle).

With three strapping boys, a three seater Suburban is still a tad too small.

Now days, we take my Tundra Crew Max anywhere we go because we haul so much crapola we need the truck. #1 wife has a Lexus RX350 and while it rides great, gets reasonable gas mileage, it is sorely lacking in crapola space.

I know that if I had chosen a minivan for my vehicle I would not have kept it very long. Up until recently (too recently) I did all my maintenance and repair. From what I've seen of vans and minivans, that would have been very difficult (for me).

But, then one day I said to myself, "Self, What the Heck are you doing this stuff for?" And now I don't do anything except put water in the windshield washer reservoir. Life has gotten easier and I don't cuss near as much.

But, I'm still not getting a minivan.

Alan

minivan aka a "bloated up station wagon". Had many minivans over the years. My favorites was the chevy asto.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

My last was an Astro. I liked vans because I could sleep in them - like a hotel room on wheels. I moved from Selma, Alabama to Denver, Colorado in it. It started snowing in Birmingham and didn't let up until April. The van was great in snow.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I have always had a jones for a Quigley 4x4 conversion van.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

Me too. Cool

Bloated, lol

I’d donate a cummins to an old medivac power wagon

We're almost ready for 2 new vehicles.

I think Kelly's going to keep the Outback though. We have friends who've run several right into the ground. It's not ideal. Too small for 2 adults and a pushy dog (He HAS to be up upfront despite a teensy console seat). Then there's all of our toys. But it's good on gas. And we just popped for a big mechanic's bill.

My F-250 is a stinky mess. But it starts everytime and we still pass rice burners saying, "Tock! You could've had a V8." It sucks gas bad. But I think another full size is in the future.

We are looking at those "skinny" vans. Friends into outdoor sports seem to like them and a quick and dirty conversion/customization is pretty easy. If we went with a van that would be what we'd get. 3 (4 with the Jeep) vehicles for 2 people seems like a little too much. Especially since we're headed towards a fixed household income. ahem. We'll see how that works out.

I go to other countries for my job and they have manual transmissions in their vans. S’up with that?
    A 4x4 mini with a lift kit, manual trans, camper pop top and a diesel would be alright. They would want to charge another 20-25 for that though.

I've seen a few lifted 4X4 vans on the road. In fact we were camping a couple months ago and we saw exactly what you described. Very understated and tasteful. I was dying to ask how much they paid but didn't feel comfortable with that. I think it was probably a custom job.

i'd like my mini to have a 10in lift kit with 4x4 to boot. but no can do with front wheel drive.
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.

There are a lot of AWD minis. Toyota, Chrysler, Honda and the mid-sized cross overs. Not exactly the same but better than just front wheel drive.