Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: climbing equipment for urban env...

Default climbing equipment for urban env...

Just wanted to say hello. I am a new member, probably the newest. Just wanted to say that i am not an expert in anything expect archaeology and history, but survival wise, i do not call myself an expert. So my appology for my ignorance and lack of knowledge on that topic.

Question at hand. I have been living in the urban environment all my life and the highest level in which i reside is the 19th floor in Abu Dhabi, middle east. (i am an american). My question is that most people live in a city, probably on a high floor. We all know what happened on 9-11. No need to go into details. What if you were living in an appartment which in my case is the 19th floor, and there was an emergency as a fire broke out inside the building. The elevators are useless as we all know and the fire enflammed all the exits. The only option is the windows and you have climbing equipment such as a rope, you improvised either a hasty harness with a webbing or swiss sit harness and you have a figure 8 as the belay and friction device. How would you anchor that rope or what would you use as an anchor and would you risk it rappelling down with the basic equipment?

Just wanted to ask you guys what would you do and why?

Thanks in advance
    Sergei

You span the window opening with a bar/board/pipe of some kind and attach your rope to that.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Thanks Pete for your idea. I did forgot to say that every buildings in this country are not made out of bricks or woods like it is in the states. Here its all cement. The windows could be broken, however, there's no pipes, bars or boards because of the materials used in constructions is different and there no buying any equipment of that sort either becasue here at ACE, they don't sell that kind of stuff. But that is an idea i will keep in mind and further my research and escape training.

Thanks
    Sergei

I feel if you work or live in a high rise....it is very warranted.

Along with that....is how and where to penetrate a window....you don't want a 300-400lb chunk of glass killing someone on the ground.

Be able to hook a good tie off point....this may involve staying over and lifting a few ceiling panels.....look for a joist.....heavy sprinkler line.....window mullion anchor.

Do you have much experience rappelling?
    Last edited by Echo2; 01-06-2013 at 10:12 AM.
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

when my family lived in an apartment my son insisted on having his own rapelling rope in his bedrom. He kept it permanently anchored to the bed rail.

In your case you need to give this some thought. You are 190 feet from the ground at the very least. It is going to take a full coil of rapelling line.

An improvised "swiss seat" was the first skill I was taught during training. Web harnesses were not the norm back then, although we did improvise some and they latter became stndard. Your primary concern should be good rapelling gloves.

If you have no training you can probably find a club in your area, even in Abidabi. climbing is now a world wide sport. A few meets and a few rapels and you will overcome your fear and have enough training to decend a wall. That is the easiest rapel to accomplish.

PS, "most people" do not live in high rise apartments. That is just your preception from your experiences.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Hey echo 2. I am not really much of an experienced climber. I have basic climbing skills and is working on getting more training and more experiences once i am back in the states. The problem here is that its all desert (sandunes and lots of sand) and no mountains to practice or any artificial walls. I can't fix and anchor point at the ceilling nor at the window mullion anchor because the building here are made from cement (there is no ceilling panels) and the windows are fixed to a plastic housing that runs through the cement wall. However, what do you think about me getting a Sterling Rope F4 Escape Device that i could attack to a strong anchor point like top of a desk that would possibly hold long enough to the edges of the walls that runs parallel to the windows and gives me ample time to abseil down?

Thanks
    Sergei

Hey Kyratshooter,

Thanks for the idea. I actually have some coilled rope in my room with some webbings for the hasty harness, few locking carabiners and a figure 8 belay device. But my biggest issue in Abu Dhabi especially is the way that the building are build and actually everything. My bed can't be used as an anchor becasue i sleep on 2 matreses, one on top of another. So i need another way. I could always get more training in Dubai but its a 45 min drive in and 45 more min drive back but in the long run, it is worth it i guess. You might be true that not everybody lives in high rise apartments. Most building here go no longer than 30 some floors, with the exception of the new buildings. But most people have apartments at the beginning of the 4th floor and up. There is the general entrance, then there is the office floor which usually takes place of 3 floors and sometimes more. But true, not everyone lives in high rise apartment.

I will take it into considerations

Thanks
    Sergei

Do you have a dining table? You might be able to wrap the rope around it, slid it over to the window, and let that be the anchor, assuming it's strong enough.
    Last edited by Stiffy; 01-06-2013 at 12:08 PM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yep, you are making this much more difficult than necessary. You need an anchor point, pure and simple. That can simply be a bridge that spans the window solidly,

That point might be a table that will not fit through the window, it might be a 2x4, it might be a log or driftwood, it might be a 4' section of pipe, it might be running an anchor strap sround the door between the hinges and wall.

Open your eyes and look around you man!

Quit looking for reasons that will not work and start lookng for some ideas that will work!

If you are sleeping on a box spring and matress that box spring has wood rails running down te sides that are 7' long!

Think about surviving, not why you can't survive.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by sergeibn View Post
    Hey echo 2. I am not really much of an experienced climber. I have basic climbing skills and is working on getting more training and more experiences once i am back in the states. The problem here is that its all desert (sandunes and lots of sand) and no mountains to practice or any artificial walls. I can't fix and anchor point at the ceilling nor at the window mullion anchor because the building here are made from cement (there is no ceilling panels) and the windows are fixed to a plastic housing that runs through the cement wall. However, what do you think about me getting a Sterling Rope F4 Escape Device that i could attack to a strong anchor point like top of a desk that would possibly hold long enough to the edges of the walls that runs parallel to the windows and gives me ample time to abseil down?

Thanks
    Sergei
    Could you have a local fab shop build a mount for the window opening?...would anyone notice a couple small holes for the mount?

Only thing about attaching to furniture....is that it moves.

In escaping....rappelling is more important than climbing....out and down the building is the key.

Watch for rope going down across a window with fire spewing out.
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

Hey Stiffy,

I haven't tought of using a dining room table but will put it into practice.

Thanks
    Sergei

Thanks for the optimism.

Sergei

Thanks for the help and the ideas guys. I will see what i can play with and see what works and what doesn't.

Sergei

If this was a concern that I had I would have a permanent anchor installed in the apartment and climbing rope staged next to it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Basic rock climbing harness, enough rope to tie off and reach ground, a figure eight (if you want to be a bit spendy check out a rescue 8 with ears) and I would also suggest a climbing helmet, would suck to get halfway to the ground and get beaned by a shoe.... One other note, if you are descending on a rope, tie a granny knot about 5 feet from the end, that way if you run out of rope before you hit ground you can footlock back up a bit to allow you to untie the knot and try again. Hard to ascend on an 8 though versus on a friction hitch like a prussik or tautline.

If this is a serious concern for you, you might want to look into CDC or the Controlled Descent Device..
    http://highriseescapesystems.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=Z35w65Ewcpc#!
    Last edited by BENESSE; 01-06-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Depending on your size, I'd suggest a 4x4 over a 2x4 just because you'll at least feel a little safer on your descent, and feeling confident in your task at hand is huge.
    Minnesota BCA Approved Conceal Carry Instructor
    NRA Instructor: Personal Protection in the Home, Pistol
    NRA Life Member
    Multi Tour Combat Vet

Avoid Confrontation, but If the attack comes, be violent, so bad, their children will have PTSD.

I am thinking of securing an anchor to the cement wall. Just need to research more options on anchors that can hold even if attached to cement walls but also that would not break if under tension.

Sergei

I have all of the basic climbing gear that a person usually will use, coilled rope, few locking carabiners, figure 8, and extra rope and webbings for either swiss sit or hasty harness. I didn't think of the prussik knot but will use one. I will also add a helmet for safety.

Benesse, i did look into the High Rise Escape System. I actually sent a message to David - the manager responsible for emergency equipment and gear in Abu Dhabi and he will give me a call later on today.

Sergei

I think as you are searching for climbing equipments you should check some best climbing shoes. I have read an article that lists some Adidas, Nike, Reebok, and many other climbing shoes. ****Nothing to see here. Keep moving, folks***********
    Last edited by Rick; 04-24-2019 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Removed Spam