Thread: Fireweed & dandelion pizza

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Fireweed & dandelion pizza

We made a very delicious pizza the other day, topped with fireweed shoots, wild chives, dandelion leaves and buds that we had briefly blanched in salt water before putting on as pizza topping. Highly recommend it to Boston Pizza and Pizza Hut!
    Actions speak louder than words

Didn't make a pizza but we had wild chive fritters and fiddleheads for supper last night. Was it a veggie pizza or did you use meat to?

Blog Entries

I envy you guys for the fiddleheads...don't have them here. Our pizza was half dandelion and fireweed, and half canned moose and bacon.

That is one way we are lucky here, we just have to walk across the road and there are fiddleheads growing there. I can hop on the bike and go 15 min up the river and pick a cooler full almost every day. We had fresh fiddleheads last night with BBQ chicken and potatoes.

Ah fiddlesticks. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

What did you use for dough? Did you find cereal?
    Survival31
    Vancouver, BC

Please excuse my English - I'm ESL student

Quote Originally Posted by wildWoman View Post
    I envy you guys for the fiddleheads...don't have them here. Our pizza was half dandelion and fireweed, and half canned moose and bacon.
    What part of the fireweed did you use the stalk?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    What part of the fireweed did you use the stalk?
    No, not much of the stalk. They're just starting to unfold their leaves, so we used the young leaves and only a bit of the stalk below that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Survival31 View Post
    What did you use for dough? Did you find cereal?
    We made a regular yeast dough with flour; we live out in the wilderness, so it's not a dish we made from scratch in a survival situation.

i was telling thw wife about you and this thread wild woman, yesterday she came home with some spinache pizza, which she loves so i suggested we make our own dough next time and make ourselves a dandeloion pizza, well she's on board so just have to learn how to make dough and will let you know..thanks for the inspiration
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

WE - Here's a pizza recipe I like to use. You can use the crust recipe if you like. It's pretty simple. Just pay attention to the note at the bottom.

Pizza Crust

2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
    1 teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon brown sugar
    2 Tablespoons olive oil
    1 ½ cups warm water (110 F/ 45 C)
    3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and brown sugar in the water and let sit for 10 minutes.
    2. Stir the salt and oil into the yeast solution. Mix in 2 ½ cups of the flour.
    3. Turn dough out onto a clean, well floured surface, and knead in more flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Place the dough into a well oiled bowl and cover with a cloth. Let the dough rise until double; this should take about 1 hour. Punch down the dough and form a tight ball. Allow the dough to relax for a minute before rolling out.
    4. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). If you are baking the dough on a pizza stone, you may place your toppings on the dough and bake immediately. If you are baking your pizza in a pan, lightly oil the pan, and let the dough rise for 15 or 20 minutes before topping and baking it.
    5. Bake pizza in preheated oven, until the cheese and crust are golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.

Tomato Herb Sauce

2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 Tablespoon minced fresh garlic
    ¼ cup finely chopped onion
    1 cup tomato sauce
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon basil
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon black pepper
    2 tablespoons tomato paste

In a medium saucepan, saute’ garlic and onions in olive oil until tender. Add seasonings and continue cooking a few minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, and then tomato paste. Simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes. Makes about 1 ½ cups.

Order of assembly: Sauce, Cheese, Toppings, Cheese, Garnish.

You will need to precook any meats you want to add and any watery foods like egg plant or thick sliced mushrooms as well as any foods that take a while to cook such as bell pepper. Allow all precooked food to cool before adding them to the pizza or they will ruin the dough.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    i was telling thw wife about you and this thread wild woman, yesterday she came home with some spinache pizza, which she loves so i suggested we make our own dough next time and make ourselves a dandeloion pizza, well she's on board so just have to learn how to make dough and will let you know..thanks for the inspiration
    Hey WE, spinach pizza is my favourite too so I hope you guys will like the dandelion/fireweed concoction. With leafy greens, just be sure to steam them and then drain the water out of them before putting them on the pizza. We put lots of garlic on the dandelion pizza.
    Greetings to you wife and all the wild critters

good point to steam first WW didn't think of that but would be soogy if i didn't, wife just left for the centre, no animals worth getting excited about 1 baby porky pine some coons and starlings but what she lives for, me i'm headed to the bush w/dogs and watch my plants change.

WE - Why do I get this mental picture of Mrs. WE talkin' to the starlings.

"Finally! He's gone. A few days of peace and quiet."
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

well first -you mental.....yup
    second you're probably right every one knows them critters come before anything else in this world including me