Thread: Pine Resin Salve?

Default Pine Resin Salve?

Ok so I’ve collected a small supply of pine resin. I’ve rendered it by using some tin cans. I took a bigger can and poked some holes in the bottom set it on top the smaller one I proceeded to light it on fire and let it burn down. Well today I added equal parts by weight of resin to coconut oil the 25% of the weight of the resin and coconut oil in beeswax. So I used 50 grams of resin 50 grams of oil and 25 grams of beeswax. I cannot get the resin to completely dissolve. I’ve got a small blobbed hoop of resin in the bottom of the jar. Anyway any ideas? I’ve got plenty if I need to start over. Do you have any basic recipes you would not mind sharing? I just want to get a good base for the right mixture of oil resin and wax I’ll add fancy stuff later like peppermint ect. I don’t know if this is really brushcraft but I use to use pine salve. My grandma use to make it but she is no longer with us.

It is possible that there is debris in the resin that will not liquify. You may want to strain it through something like cheese cloth.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You lit the resin on fire?
    I think you just want to melt it.
    Last edited by LowKey; 04-29-2019 at 10:14 PM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I missed that part - I thought you made a makeshift double boiler. Yeah, don't burn it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel