Thread: why be so stupid as to not take basic, modern gear with you in the bush?

Default why be so stupid as to not take basic, modern gear with you in the bush?

it's just a few lbs. If the weight bothers you, then lose that same weight in blubber and you'll be ahead. There will be plenty of difficulties even without such stupidity.

Never Mind please delete. I could not figure out how to delete my reply.
    Last edited by Twig; 04-24-2019 at 09:04 PM.

I would reply but he wouldn't get it. Looks like our wonderful moderators dropped the ban hammer on him/her. GOOD JOB GUYS
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yes, thanks guys, he was getting on my nerves.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

What do you suppose he's like in person? Does he walk around trying to get everyone to hate him? What a life. smh

-
    You say that like it's a bad thing... If I had a basement like that to live in, I'd be there.. As for now, I have my 14'x60' with half of that having a loft above if I want to move out of my house.. Some days I spend the whole day out there, into the late hours.. Wife never comes out there, never calls.. Ahhh.. Reminds me, I need to plug in my cooler and hot plate to cook up a few meals out there..

I'm one house payment away from cashing in and going full time van-life..
    Last edited by crashdive123; 03-08-2021 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Restored deleted post

Topic title- why be so stupid as to not take basic, modern gear with you in the bush?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well in my early camping/hiking days I made so many stupid basic mistakes that I still blush with embarrasment to think of them..
    Worst I ever made was to think I didn't need a sleeping bag or tent because it was a summer cycling trip and I thought I could happily sleep under a tree.
    Bad call, I shivered half the night, bugs and slugs were crawling over me, and when dawn came I was sopping wet with dew.

PS- others have made mistakes too, for examp the Apollo 13 crew nearly froze to death because NASA hadn't issued them with simple survival blankets.
    Same with the SAS Bravo-Two-Zero patrol dropped behind Iraqi lines during Op Desert Storm, not only was the mission badly planned by their brass, but they weren't issued with survival blankets and one died of hypothermia in the subzero conditions.

Another baaaad mistake I made was to show around my small rucksack of food and drink at the start of a 100-mile bike ride in midwinter.
    Yup you guessed it, people kept pedalling up to me during the event to beg food/drink off me because they hadn't packed enough themselves but I refused pointblank to help them, saying "sorry i've only got enough for myself".
    So the scrounging parasites were dropping out like flies all around the course, and only me and a few others finished the course..

I will generally carry a few items with me in my backpack. I will always forget something...that happens more often the older you are. But unless I get dropped above the Arctic circle or some such, I can survive off the land, so I would say, why would anybody go into the bush without educating themselves about how to survive without "stuff".
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    I will generally carry a few items with me in my backpack. I will always forget something...that happens more often the older you are. But unless I get dropped above the Arctic circle or some such, I can survive off the land, so I would say, why would anybody go into the bush without educating themselves about how to survive without "stuff".
    Winters in temperate latitudes can also be Arctic-like, so if we find ourselves in a subzero blizzard-swept spot (for example after a plane crash in the high Rockies), what are our chances of surviving til rescuers are able to get to us?
    The Andes crash survivors held out for two months by eating each other but what if we're on our own with no friends to snack on?
    Last edited by Dropship; 10-03-2021 at 01:46 AM.

Did you file a flight plan? Did you follow that flight plan. Do you have gear on your plane? Does your radio still work? Is your aircraft equipped with an ELT? So many questions.

LOL. The Rockies is where I hike. I've been in snow storms. The only problem I've found with the Rockies is, although there's plenty to eat, the wildlife is big and will stomp you into pulp, and for every edible plant here, there's one or two that looks just like it and is definitely not edible.IMG_20211002_173855694.jpg
    IMG_20211001_150954931.jpg
    IMG_20211001_154708586.jpg
    Hike day before yesterday. Mosquito Range, Colorado.
    Last edited by WolfVanZandt; 10-03-2021 at 12:56 PM.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    LOL. The Rockies is where I hike..
    i hear Jeremiah Johnson is up there still.

@WolfVanZandt, here a message from the Netherlands... van Zandt, good Dutch name...
    You should know all plant are edible...?
    But some, only one time...

'deed.

Aye, the area my family came from, Xanten, has changed hands several times...German, Belgian, French...I think we were originally Sahns.

Haha, Xanten. Then mayby you also have a great deal of Roman blood in your veins...
    Colonia Ulpia Traiana they called the place in those days and it was the biggest militairy camp of te Romans of all times. Salute!
    Last edited by Roel; 08-31-2023 at 06:44 AM.

Default I have to wonder

why they didn't take their own? Why would you put your life at risk by not having your own stuff? When I left Oakland with orders to Vietnam, i had my own Hoppe's Number 9 solvent and WD-40, cause I knew from basic that the Army didn't even have such things here in the US. So they could not be trusted to have the in a combat zone.

Default I've been all over CO and NM

and never felt the need of more than my 9mm pocket pistol. Only brain hits will reliably stop charges by big animals and even in "bear country" , men and dogs are many times more likely to attack you than big animals.