Thread: got any idea how many fire starts you can get with

Default got any idea how many fire starts you can get with

a full sized Bic, a peanut lighter and a Doan's bar? many thousands. Since you can carry a torch or coals in a container, packed in ashes or dirt, and bed your coals for the night, those 3 items, totalling 2 ozs, at most, easily wrap your hand around all 3, will deal with all your need light fires for the rest of your life, post shtf. So practicing friction fire is silly. For one thing, the only viable option for cold country is to get out of it. Smoke during the day will call in your killers and so will light at night. So you have to use a Dakota fire pit to boil water, cook and heat stones/water to help you sleep when it's cold. That doesn't take a lot of wood to accomplish. All 3200 miles of the US has been crossed in 8 days on a bicycle. So in a week, with 100 lbs of food, water and gear on the bike, you can be where it doesn't freeze at night, so you'll have the year round growing season that you'll need in order to survive. A $75 inflatable kayak from Wally's, and NVD goggle, at night, will float you to N. Louisiana in less than a month, with drinking water and catching fish to eat being no problem along the way. You can carry a folding bicycle and the 84 lbs of gear and food, too, easily. 16 lbs of water is just 2 gallons. You can easily drink that in one day of hard pushing. Have food, gear, clothing and materials cashed at your BOL, so that you dont have to bother with moving it when you bugout.

Ditto making stone tools and weapons. Nothing is going to happen to all the STEEL knives, files, broadheads, axes, needles, etc. If shtf, 99% of the population will be DEAD in a year. So there's going to be tons of such stuff just laying around waiting to be picked up. You dont need to make stone stuff, nor stockpile such things, nor buy any land. If you cache at night, and stay underground during daylight hours, nobody will know you have anything there, or that you're present. So why waste money on buying land? you probably CANT buy any decent land, actually, and your title deed wont keep diseases, starvation or people from killing you. You'll have no way to know if a claimant is the actual owner, or just the legit guy's recent killer. The only thingd that will mean anything, post shtf will be your speed of hitting with your guns, (mostly the silenced autorifle) having proper gear, like night vision and luminous sights, knowing proper tactics, and paying attention.
    Last edited by highlo; 04-22-2019 at 10:39 PM.

Default much easier than bow drill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lptOmK1iP34&t=720s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8BXhxHWyF4

note that you can remove the spindle head. you can dove tail in the actual hearth contact and then all you have to keep dry is those 2 parts. all you have to carry is those two parts and some cordage. The rest can be green, wet wood. Note that the counterweights can be 6" long chunks of 4" logs and that you dont need to bore holes in the handle or the top of the spindle. The spindle can be 2 notched sticks and the spindle top can be notched, then a little plug of wood can be wedged gently into the notch, to keep the cord from coming off of the spindle on the up stroke. Once you have charred punkwood, pine resin, and ashes, you can easily start fires with the wallet-fresnel lense, any hard rock and any carbon steel tool, any number of ways. a AA battery, a short length of insulated copper wire, and toilet tissue will light many fires.
    Last edited by highlo; 04-22-2019 at 10:45 PM.

I feel much better about this whole shtf thing already!

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    I feel much better about this whole shtf thing already!

Alan
    you should, you've got the master here now, ready to answer questions.

I just have to make certain I'm in that 1% group then I'm in like Flynn. The rest of it will be a piece of cake. What is it we're surviving?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I am beginning to have flashbacks to our last encounter with Gunkid!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tick tock.