Thread: Sweet Dreams Rick!

Default Sweet Dreams Rick!

Meeting new friends while Hiking!

Alan

https://www.foxnews.com/science/indi...uge-snake-tree

A hiker in Zionsville, Indiana was in for a slithery surprise when she came across a huge eastern rat snake hanging from a tree branch.

The hiker, identified as Michelle Modglin by the Town of Zionsville’s Facebook page, was walking along the Big-4 Rail Trail when she saw the eastern rat snake, also known as a black rat snake.

Though it’s not clear how long this particular serpent was, these creatures typically reach lengths of 3 to 5 feet, though they can be longer, per the town’s post.

“Although their size can be intimidating, rat snakes are predators to mice and rats and help keep our local habitats healthy. They will also eat squirrels, chipmunks and birds, as well as bird eggs. Rat snakes are excellent climbers, and prefer to relax up in the trees instead of down on the ground,” it reads.

“Poisonous or not I’d be scared to death!” commented one person in response.

“Great picture of a beautiful animal,” said a second.

“Wow, I would surely turn around and RUN the other way, non-[venomous] or not!” a third wrote.

Park goers in Zionsville can also come across a variety of other snake species, such as midland water snakes and garter snakes, among others.

Black rat snakes are keen swimmers and climbers; skills they often use when catching prey, according to the National Wildlife Federation. These serpents are also constrictors, meaning they use their body to suffocate their prey.

“All snakes can bite or musk if they feel threatened,” warns the Town of Zionsville in the post. “We ask that you show respect, give them room, and take lots and lots of pictures.”

My son took a pic of either a python or a boa last year in the White River. It had to have been a pet that someone let loose but it was probably seven or eight feet long and seemed like it was doing well. I guess if they can find someplace warm to shelter over the winter, under a house or similar, they can survive. I don't mind snakes if I can see them. I don't like surprises and I certainly don't need invasive species in the landscape. Rat snakes are cool.

Yay, Rails-to-Trails!

Strange. Most of the people I knew in Selma, Alabama whose opinion I knew on the subject was afraid of snakes (except the scouts). Only one had been bitten (as a child - she was last in line.)
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I like snakes. I don't like Rattlesnakes, Copperheads, Cottonmouths, or Coral Snakes. I would gleefully send into extinction any or all of the four. I don't seek them out, but if we cross paths, something is going to die or if they don't it won't be for lack of trying.

All other snakes are my friends. They eat rodents or rodent-like things. That's good in my book. I must admit though, I do not like surprises. I stuck my hand up onto a top shelf in a dark storeroom once to see what was there. Well, a big ole rat snake was there and I'm really not sure which of us disliked the experience more. Offhand, I'd give the match to him hands down (I know you saw what I did there....) and he didn't have any hands (except mine). That was many years ago and I can assure you I have NEVER put my hands anywhere I could not see since then.

I have been walking though swamps in hip boots and found big water snakes up in trees. Finding the snake was okay. Wondering why a snake that can swim was six feet up in a tree. What exactly is down here that made him want to climb up there?

Alan

God made roads to drive around swamps for a reason. That snake is probably still telling stories about the time...

And who could forget Blade. He postulated that going head first into the snake and then cutting your way out would be easy. Guess he forgot his knife.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

well all i can say is so much for all the BS and nonsence
    that sankes don't eat people. just saying
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.

Snakes eat what they eat and sometimes what they eat are in trees.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Ah, Blade! Gone but not forgotten!

This is for Hunter.....Green Anaconda, green Anaconda.....