Thread: Good Gawd

Default Good Gawd

When the “significant other” has differing views on preps. What’s the plan? Lol

Convince her. Mine did not share all of my ideas, but "allowed" me to do it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

My wife has been on 3 week self supported trips. She gets "need vs want". So 3-4 week prep is fine with her. After that I started getting eyerolls. Because of space and weight, water is difficult in FL because we're in a big little town in a small house (NOT a "Tiny House"). In NC we have a spring. No problem. Ammo is getting cycled pretty well since she started shooting. Bulk.

This was a process, rebel. She had never so much as thought of prepping before... or carrying a firearm. I just gently kept at it. I know she felt much more" "empowered" and confident when she went to get her carry permit by herself and researched/bought her own handgun. It wouldn't be the same if she hadn't been allowed to reach that point on her own. Also she is liking doing sample meals of what we're stashing. well... most of the time.

Good luck.

Nine-tenths of education is encouragement. – Anatole France

The other one-tenth is just keep pounding on 'em - me.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Rebel you have a wide allowance in the phrase "differing views on preps".

That could mean that she does not want a room full of gas masks and ammo and sheds about the place filled with tanks of fuel and spare parts, of it could mean she wants food bought one day at a time with no plan for tomorrows breakfast.

Coming to grips with the realities of this quest means a lot of soul searching is in order. You may be expecting too much, she may not be able to grasp the concept of that old ant and cricket fable, otherwise known as denying reality, or there may be more deep seated problems to deal with.

Like the others here, I introduced my wife to "prepping" in steps. We married late in life and she had been on her own for 20 years. The first big storm that came through and knocked out power for a week I rolled out my generator. She did not know "we" owned that but decided it was a good idea right then and there. She also thought the "camping gear" was useful during these emergencies. And since the stores were all shut down due to lack of power having a week or two of canned goods in the basement was suddenly a brilliant idea.

She did not know it was there until it was needed. It was just part of the stuff that I "came with".

She soon realized that marrying this guy meant that she had access to the pickup, the Jeep, backpacking and car camping gear, black powder and modern firearms of all kinds as well as reenactment hardware, plus free plumbing, electrical and home repairs for life.

Your mileage may differ.

Depends on how valuable you have made yourself. If you are valuable enough they "tolerate" stuff they don't quite understand.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Here it goes in cycles. If there's too much backstock, they notice.
    The trick, I've found is to not have the same items visible in two places. IE if you have canned goods, don't have two of the same box facing out. It's kinda like fishing poles and firearms. If only one or two are visible at any one time, you can't possibly have more.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

i am thinking about this for many days

All it takes is an "event". In my case, it started slowly with the grid down for 48hrs. In August. NYC. Could have been worse because we at least had water, but it was pretty miserable. Then I picked up Patriots (the book) while looking for something else, followed by One Second After and that was that.

In our family, I was the one who got the ball rolling in a big way. Never any pushback from DH. It didn't hurt that he was a highly decorated Eagle and Boy Scout or that I did all the work: Initiating, researching, supplying and squirreling away and rotating in a small NYC apt. He was a little "amused" when the literature from the NRA, Cheaper Than Dirt and the like kept arriving on our doorstep--we have staff who sort and deliver the mail and so by now everyone is aware of where we lean. (tough, since this is not a "friendly" territory) Hopefully, no one got any of our mail by mistake or cares that they have "one of those" living in their midst.

Well, wait until something happens and then they will turn to "one of those" for help.