Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival Hunting Laws

Default Survival Hunting Laws

How do I go about finding the laws regarding hunting in recreational survival situations. A friend and I are planning an extended trip in Washington State. Is it basically that we have to follow normal hunting seasons if we are to kill any game? Thanks

Blake

Banned

A " Recreational survival situation" ????? you are joking right ?

If you were in a REAL survival situation, who cares about laws,,,, but, since you are just going camping, you better have a license to kill animals that are in season or you will go down for felony poaching, BTW,, please visit the introduction section and tell us a little about yourself,,

In AK, you can hunt and gather anything in a survival situation. Just make sure that you have a fishing and hunting license in your area and don't bring any meat home.

If you don't have food and are 20 klicks out, I don't see any fish and game guy harassing you for eating whatever.

Alaska is a bit of a unique entity in this respect and, as such, is not really the best example for most people to be following.

Other than Alaska, I know of no State that specifically exempts a person from Fish and Game laws in survival situations and I am almost certain that none allow for anything like a "recreational survival situation."

As mentioned, in a true survival situation; who cares what's "legal." It's much better to pay the fine for taking something out of season than to die. So too, in a given (true) survival situation a particular State might elect not to prosecute for Game and Fish violations that were committed without criminal intent during the event. However, such leniency would be decided on a case-by-case basis, would rely heavily on the individual disposition of the assigned prosecuting attorney, and should never be expected or relied upon.

In general, if you are going to go into the wilderness to "recreationally survive," (an activity most people call "camping") you had better buy all the relevant licenses and permits and then stick to the limits and conditions associated with the same.

Quote Originally Posted by SBlakeS View Post
    How do I go about finding the laws regarding hunting in recreational survival situations. A friend and I are planning an extended trip in Washington State. Is it basically that we have to follow normal hunting seasons if we are to kill any game? Thanks

Blake
    Here's some info, including phone numbers regarding hunting and fishing regulations. http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/

Regarding "recreational survival situations" - I'm guessing you mean camping and maybe living off the land, or practicing some skills (hunting, fishing, trapping, fires, shelter etc). Good luck to you, and enjoy your time in the woods. Make sure you tell us how it all works out - and we love to see pictures of trips like the one you are going to take.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

In a real survival situation I would be more than happy to have an EPO tap me on the shoulder and ask for my tags.Because if he's there then I have been found. After a big hug and hand shake I'll ask him who to make the check for the fine out to.
    Joe
    Red meat is good for you.Its the green furry meat you have to worry about.

SBlakeS - I just realized where you are posting from. I guess you need to look at the non-resident part of Washington State laws on the matter.

Anyway - still wish you luck - stop on by the Intro section when you find the time and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

aw man, that is too good, "recreational survival" that one's a keeper. I do believe the recreational survival laws state it's ok for me to shoot moonbats, but I have to check on that.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    In a real survival situation I would be more than happy to have an EPO tap me on the shoulder and ask for my tags.Because if he's there then I have been found. After a big hug and hand shake I'll ask him who to make the check for the fine out to.
    Well, I don't know about the hug part, but these were my thoughts as well.

Also be aware that in many parks and wild life areas, legally you are not allowed a fire arm.
    And most states require a Hunter Safety Course before allowing purchase of any hunting liense.

A check on the laws in your propossed area is in order, and maybe a call to how ever is running the show, be it state, county, or local level, would answer your questions.

It would aslo be nice to stop by the "Introduction" section and tells us a little about your self.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=7813
    (opps Crash beat me to it)

Good luck and have fun, and remember Man vs Wild is a TV show.
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-16-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: added stuff
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

If you are intent on killing something then make certain it's not a migratory waterfowl. Those boogers are expensive.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Remember, you asked, okay?

1st, the term "RECREATIONAL SURVIVAL" is not a legal term, that's something that's been made up & is an "oxy-moron" created by morons who seem to think that the term "survival" means "EXTREME SPORT!" Actually, it means "LIFE OR DEATH". Shooting any wild animal under this term can result in severe jail time where you will need a whole new set of survival skills. Preserving your chasity will be one of them! However, if you choose to go the route you've previously stated, don't forget the pics, especially the "front and profile" view of your face with the numbers under your chin. I can see it all now:

OFFICER: "Excuse me sir, but do you realize you just shot a wild game animal illegally?"

BLAKE: "It's okay officer, I'm here doing "recreational survival."

OFFICER: "Hmmm, never heard of that one, turn around please & spread your feet apart."

BLAKE: (getting alarmed.) "No, officer, you don't understand, I'm here doing "recreational survival;" don't I have any rights?"

OFFICER: "Absolutely! You have the right to remain silent...."

Good luck.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Recreational activities:

You must have a hunting and fishing license.

You must follow all rules and regulations.

You need a trapping license to trap and you are NOT allowed to use any trap other than a live trap. NO SNARES, LEG HOLDS, BODY GRIPS, DEAD FALLS.

No fishing other than with a pole and it must be attended at all times.

Now if it is a real survival situation, then survive to pay the ticket if you have to.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 01-09-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Banned

I don't think you would get a ticket if you can prove it was life or death,,, I mean the right to life should trump that,, of course, then you will get into trying to explain how you got yourself into such a dire situation,,,,, I guess it would probably be easier just to pay the fine and move on,,,, lol

My point was, who cares. Survive then worry about the rest of it.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 01-09-2011 at 10:12 PM.

Blake, don't take it too hard. Everyone is just having a bit of fun at your expense. Don't let 'em run you off. It will probably be my turn in ...5....4.....3....2....
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    I don't think you would get a ticket if you can prove it was life or death,,,
    Yeah but posting something about "recreational survival" might make it hard to prove it was life or death.

Maine has a law that forgives these sort of crimes if it is a life or death situation. You take the fine and contest it, at your hearing, explain the situation and the judge will throw the case out. If you say "recreational survival" at the hearing...well, I'm not so sure.

Good luck with your camping trip. Take food and have a nice time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    Yeah but posting something about "recreational survival" might make it hard to prove it was life or death.

Maine has a law that forgives these sort of crimes if it is a life or death situation. You take the fine and contest it, at your hearing, explain the situation and the judge will throw the case out. If you say "recreational survival" at the hearing...well, I'm not so sure.

Good luck with your camping trip. Take food and have a nice time.
    ????????????????
    I didnt make the OP,,,,

As mentioned, in a true survival situation; who cares what's "legal."
    For a while in the late 80's I had a USAF "survival radio" I was warned if I used it they would arrest me on several charges.

As I was a civilian and should not had access to that type of radio. I purchsed it at a swap meet.

I stated it would be OK with me, because If i had to use it I wanted someone to come after me as I was in a "World of Sheet" anyway.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Wow. Minimalist camping, recreational survival....I don't really care what you call it. I'm not some kid that's never done anything like this before. I understand that this isn't a game and that it can potentially be a dangerous situation. I am a backpacker and am progressively moving more towards living off the land when I go. I've never been into the trapping/hunting side of things so I was just looking for a little educational insight. A few of you were helpful and I appreciate it but most of you would rather snub your noses at someone who might not know as much as you than actually provide a little assistance. I got the answers I needed but will definitely not be back here for any others.

Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    ????????????????
    I didnt make the OP,,,,
    Didnt mean to aim that at you JIC...should have added a @sblakes...sorry my friend..