Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun owners of Illinois march to State Capitol

Tool & Die Maker

Default Gun owners of Illinois march to State Capitol

This activity is abbreviated IGOLD for Illinois Gun Owners Lobby Day. We went to Springfield Illinois by the bus load for this annual event. This was not a demonstration or protest. We went to the state capitol as a show of strength and determination and we actually spoke to our state representatives face to face. I was there, took a bus out of Rockford to the capitol. I hand delivered a letter to the governors office. People were well behaved, no disruptions, but we were all very serious about our cause.

Illinois is under a siege of proposed gun control bills after recent shootings in the US and in Aurora and Rockford Illinois where a police officer was killed while serving and arrest warrant. In both cases in Illinois the shooter could not legally be in possession of a firearm but had one anyway and killed people with it.

From tips from the NRA and Illinois State Rifle association I have been writing my representatives almost weekly and daily at times protesting proposed gun control bills. Illinois is #1 in the US for decreasing population. We have to many rules, high taxes, and lousy weather, low opportunity.

The Youtube video is a tad long but shows how huge the turnout really was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1oswox4OE4

The speaches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwmgrWqJWsM

Speech outside capitol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjBWbrHRp7I&t=1060s
    Last edited by jim Glass; 04-04-2019 at 10:53 PM.

Good luck.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I wish you luck, Jim. I think Lori Lightfoot is going to try to bring even more gun legislation to Chicago. That could have a downstate impact.

You miss every shot that you don't take. Kudos for participating in the process.

Tool & Die Maker

Well,,,I have done all I can do. I went to the state capitol, written countless letters to representatives and phoned countless representative on gun controls. I'm a member of the NRA, Gun Owners of America, Illinois State Rifle Association. I encourage others to do the same. What ever happens, happens.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

And in contrast, Matt Bevin, the governor of Kentucky, (yep, the state just south of you that you drive through to get to Florida) last month signed into law the legislation that verifies the right of "Constitutional carry" in the state of Kentucky.

There is always an alternative. What the government wills does not have to be what will be.

Our nation was founded by people that came here to escape oppressive government actions.

Cross the River into the Promise Land!

The recession is over, real estate prices are back to normal and there is a good market. Now is the time to make a move and if the kids want to see you they can drive down to Kentucky, its not that far! He!! you can drive up to see them occasionally, you drive back and forth to Florida two or three times a year.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Or across the line into Indiana where lifetime carry for one fee is a reality. Open or concealed. Our governing body has some common sense.

Unfortunately the assault on our freedoms is never ending. Florida is a 2nd Amendment freindly state. There is now an effort (with a lot of outside funding) to get a ballot initiative for our next election to amend the state constitution that would ban a whole lot of popular weapons. If it passes, I will be moving.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Unfortunately the assault on our freedoms is never ending. Florida is a 2nd Amendment freindly state. There is now an effort (with a lot of outside funding) to get a ballot initiative for our next election to amend the state constitution that would ban a whole lot of popular weapons. If it passes, I will be moving.
    Where?

Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Where?
    I rather doubt Florida would amend the state constitution especially to ban weapons. I would predict any politician that votes in favor of gun control isn't likely to get re-elected. Even though Florida has 21 million people it is very gun friendly. I could be wrong, been wrong before. If I lived in Florida I would worry about the next hurricane not my guns.

Back to "where?". The mid South and states West of the Mississippi R with the exception of California seem gun friendly. Illinois is gun friendly with the exception of Chicago. Chicago needs to break away from Illinois and form their own state. Personally I would move to Iowa since I already have a house there and a place to shoot, then winter in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Chicago needs to break away from Illinois and form their own state.

I'm not too certain they already haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by jim Glass View Post
    I rather doubt Florida would amend the state constitution especially to ban weapons. I would predict any politician that votes in favor of gun control isn't likely to get re-elected. Even though Florida has 21 million people it is very gun friendly. I could be wrong, been wrong before. If I lived in Florida I would worry about the next hurricane not my guns.

Back to "where?". The mid South and states West of the Mississippi R with the exception of California seem gun friendly. Illinois is gun friendly with the exception of Chicago. Chicago needs to break away from Illinois and form their own state. Personally I would move to Iowa since I already have a house there and a place to shoot, then winter in Florida.
    I'm not so sure. While I agree that it would never happen through the legislative process, here the Constitution can be amended with the required number of signatures to get it on the ballot for a vote and then if it receives 60% of the vote it then becomes law. (simplified explanation, but you see what I'm getting at)

As to the where - that would take quite a bit more research.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by jim Glass View Post

Better add Kolorado to you exception list. I'm voting with my feet shortly.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

There's still room in Montana! Although you may find our winters a bit harsher than the "winter" in FL!

Montana and Wyoming are on the list of places to research.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Montana and Wyoming are on the list of places to research.
    Believe it or not, we are doing such research in earnest. It's tougher than we thought.
    While we love WY, we can't see ourselves there in the winter. Plus, being on or near a large body of water is really important to us. Coastal SC & NC have made the short list.

Don't get me wrong -- I love it here, but I won't live someplace that makes law abiding citizens felons. I'm hopeful it won't happen, and the Florida legislature is working on changing the passing threshold on constitutional amendments to 66% from 60% (used to be 50%).

I have lived on or near the water for my entire life. I'd rather not change that now..........and yeah.........would prefer not to live where the winters are harsh (anything below 60).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

South Carolina is not a bad place to live. Beats the various repressive states by a long shot. Good luck.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
    South Carolina is not a bad place to live. Beats the various repressive states by a long shot. Good luck.

S.M.
    Plus, Lindsey Graham and Trey Goudy are from there so it can't be all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Plus, Lindsey Graham and Trey Goudy are from there so it can't be all bad.
    ....and Rodney Scotts BBQ, in Charleston, has some of the best food you'll ever put in your mouth. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"