Thread: Is the .308 Ammo Viable for Long Range Hunting?

Default Is the .308 Ammo Viable for Long Range Hunting?

I thought that stirring pot could lead to an interesting discussion. So basically the author sees

Out to 500 yards or less, the .308 is perfect. Any further, however, and an ethical discussion will come into play.
    http://americanshootingjournal.com/3...range-hunting/

https://gunandshooter.com/best-308-rifle/
    Last edited by Adam; 03-25-2019 at 09:53 AM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You mean I have to walk 500 yards out there and see exactly what I killed, then drag it 500 yards back??

I'm too old for that $h!t !!

As for the ballistic discussion, that is a moot point. NRA matches are shot with both .223 and .308 at 600 meters and our troops qualify out to 500 meters with their service rifles in .223, before that in .308 and before that in 30-06.

It really boils down to the terminal ballistics of each cartridge, the factors of bullet construction and impact speed, and the game being shot.

There are many animals one can hit with a .308 that should not be shot with a .308, at any range. It is an excellent all around cartridge but like any other cartridge it has its limitations.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I've killed elephants to people in excess of 1000 yrds. with 7.62x51 ball & tracer (4/1) ammo. The round is viable. The question is... is the shooter capable of putting the round on target: be it from a helicopter gunship or a Remington M40 bolt action rifle. That takes skill & lots of practice.

Okay. Moving right along.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Let me get my boots on, we got a live one here!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Let me get my boots on, we got a live one here!
    WTF??? I get slammed for not saying enough in my 1st thread and now I'm getting slammed again! All I did was to state the viability of the 308 rd. in its least accurate configuration; ball & tracer, at a distance. When shooting from a weapon system (two General Electric Mini-Guns)with a cyclic rate of fire, ballistic knowledge come quickly. Now as to the targets: those were for size & density purposes only. I could have added numerous water buffalo and a couple of tigers also. All I am trying to doing is pass on knowledge gained from experience.
    Last edited by Boanerges; 04-18-2019 at 12:44 PM. Reason: grammar

You weren't "slammed" for your intro. We just thought it was rather odd. When you walk into a room of strangers and exibit odd behavior you may be viewed in a manner that is not to your liking.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    You weren't "slammed" for your intro. We just thought it was rather odd. When you walk into a room of strangers and exibit odd behavior you may be viewed in a manner that is not to your liking.
    ...story of my life.

Yep. Stranger in a strange land. Pass me the flame thrower, please.

A 308 might kill an elephant, poachers do it all the time using only AK47's, but it takes three or four of them and they have to shoot it like 50 times.

depends upon what you call long range, whether or not you'll reload, and how long your barrel is. Paper targets and people dont require the bullet to expand, for humane kills. Big game does. A big game softpoint wont expand much below 1800 fps. So 400m is about it for humane game taking with the 308, However, 300m is the limit with any caliber, if the animal is not bedded down, because all big game rifle bullets take over 1/4 second to travel 300m. The animal can easily take a step in half a second and half a step will mean that you 've gut-shot it. But then,few "hunters" care about such things. They'll almost always attempt to shoot fleeing animals in the butt and expect to get a clean kill, when they can't reliably hit the target at ALL, which is easily proven.