Thread: mid west floods

Default mid west floods

how will the floods effect anyone, gas go up because of the loss of ethanol products or food go up because the loss of crops

Here in sweet home Alabama they just increased state gas tax 10 cents, phased in over 3 years, with future automatic increases tied to some factor I can't remember right now. Sweet.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

They tried to tie gas tax here to "inflation."
    That was so the legislators didn't have to do a recordable vote on a very unpopular tax.
    There was a referendum vote last fall that repealed it before it started. Now the legislators are trying to pass it again.
    Right now the state tax is at 26.54¢ per gallon.

I'm more concerned about all the people affected out there in the midwest.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Reporter interviewing COE brass tonight. Asked if this was due to faulty levees or weather patterns not seen before (wonder where he was going with that, right?)

Brass said, with a straight face, "Weather patterns not seen before..." Hmmmmmm? Then two min later the reporter stated that the Levees were originally built 11 feet high but the COE made them lower them to five feet to comply with (the most arbitrary reason of all) "Government Regulations". The water rose to nine feet. Hmmmmmm? I think the floods are due to "STUPIDITY" patterns seen all the time coming out of Washington D.C.

Alan

On a positive note, if the floods stop ethanol production, we are likely to see gas prices drop, IF the government does not CREATE a shortage by not allowing straight gas to be sold.

Alan

We might as well get used to wilder weather. It's changing. Whatever the reason. We've enjoyed a pretty nice run of moderate weather for a rather long time. That's unusual in the earth's life cycle. We just happened to be the lucky ones. Now it's time to pay up I guess.

There are some advantages to being a pedestrian. Of course gas prices affect all the other costs of living....
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    On a positive note, if the floods stop ethanol production, we are likely to see gas prices drop, IF the government does not CREATE a shortage by not allowing straight gas to be sold.

Alan
    I never really thought of that, but it's true, they should drop, but they probably will create a shortage some how , pipe line breaks or a tanker runs into another tanker.