Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Give me some challenges!

LMAO. Now you're on the radar.

This image you posted:
    attachment.jpg

This is pretty much a "homestead"
    Land where a family unit can build a home, grow a garden, fish and defend together.
    And even then, they had to move once in a while, either to summer or winter hunting grounds to let the surrounding area recover.
    With no population pressure, sure, that can happen.
    Without a catastrophic event to wipe out 85% of the population (that you must first survive) there will be too many people to live that kind of life. In a disaster like that, come upon a modern group like the one in your picture as a ROTWwithblackrifle and you will most certainly be shot on sight as a threat.

A good challenge is to start a garden like that one pictured there. See how large a plot you have to make fertile to grow enough sunflowers (or a 3-sisters might be better) not only to supply your family with supplemental food, but also to keep enough seed to grow on again next year. Hint start with old varieties. No F1s or other hybrids. Certainly not those garden-in-a-cans. That is a serious challenge.

The Woods did not completely supply the Native Americans with food. They had seasonal gardens. And today's diseased and dying wilderness areas provide even less. The huge nut-bearing chestnuts are long gone. The oaks and pines are not too far behind now. Beach trees and hardwood nut trees like hickory are becoming too scarce to rely on as a food source. Too many people harvesting them for firewood even today. A hickory can take 30 years to produce good crops, edible-acorn oaks a good 15 to 20 - and you need at least two of them. You aren't going to plant them and wait.
    Last edited by LowKey; 03-26-2019 at 09:27 PM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Chī View Post
    There are many factors in that theory, that fact that I would not go completely primitive would help. Imagine that the natives of this land had just as much firepower as the Europeans, there would have been a good chance that they could have pushed the Europeans away. I would not ditch everything and replace guns with bows, rocks and Spears. When all the bullet casings keep expanding so much to the point you can't reload them, that would be a viable option. I wouldn't live exactly like the natives but just enough to survive off the land like they did. With that logic you are making battle primary survival, if I'm running around the woods in a loincloth or not as long as I keep modern firepower I will stand a chance unlike native Americans who got decimated because of lack of firepower. First I'm told I won't survive because I'll be eating bark. Then I explain A. I have knowledge to forage (not just tree bark) and B. I can cultivate food as I have the knowledge and means to do so.
    Then I'm told that a population of 300,000 people will be in the wilderness making life hard for me. A. They will likely stay in civilization making life harder for people who stay put. And B. To assume those people will get together to make life easy is not ideal. Again people will be to busy battling each other to think let's go into the forest and f**k with people there.
    The native Americans were wiped out with smallpox as well (bio warfare) well two can play that, when people come hostile and get shot in the *** with a .22 that was soaked in a latrine for a while will probably run away limping and surely die of disease weeks later. Yes I suppose I'm talking TEOTWAWKI and not regular SHTF. And yes I understand that most here are prepping for natural disasters (idk how many times I I'll be told that) I'm seriously waiting for someone to tell me I don't belong here. You could always rename the misleading name of the forum to Natural Disaster Preparedness Group. And get rid of the primitive survival section. I did not come here to debate TEOTWAWKI or SHTF with people but to share and learn skills weather they be farming or primitive. In fact those situations are the least of my concerns. I just want to get on with what this thread was intended for. I'll make a separate one for debate. Yes most of you are here for natural disaster preparedness, and I can see why people who aren't on the same page as "most" of you don't stick around as much.
    Most of us came here to learn about wilderness survival because we spend much time in the woods and learning more about the environment drew us together here on the forum, but we all have other concerns as well because most of us have lived through natural disasters since joining, I myself lived through the March 2nd 2012 tornado that decimated my small town, bugging out at the time of that tornado was not an option for me as I had just had neck surgery so sheltering in place was our only option, but we were well prepared to stay were we were despite no electricity and at the time no generator at the time, we had a wood stove but that also turned into a scenario itself when the pipe through the was behind the stove was damaged by the hail allowed the insulation in the wall to overheat and catch fire.

Yes the forum has evolved over time but it has done so because of the specific needs of the member base, a check of the home page at the many different categories available now came about because one of us along the line has either experienced the situation, or had a question that lead to a discussion and evolved into another category being added.

We all have different reasons for finding the site, and there is nothing misleading about the name as the topic is still discussed, but the conversations here are driven completely by the members (with notable exceptions). I'm sure that you can have a look around at what all has already been discussed at some point in time and find answers to almost , ALMOST any question or concern you have.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Woodsman

I understand. And I will try to make a garden as pictured. Thanks for mentioning that. As soon as the ground gets soft enough I'll get on that. I was thinking of doing my regular garden as well as a more primitive one far from the house. Idk how the primitive one will turn out as the European settlers taught the natives more advanced agricultural skills. Just goes to show sharing skills is a blessing.
    Again I apologize if I rubbed anyone the wrong way. Was not my intention to turn this thread into a debate. I'm Sorry

Saving seed is an art in itself. It has to be gathered at the right time and kept in a cool dry place. We keep ours in the back porch refrigerator.

Alan

Ditto. Mine is stored in the fridge in the garage. Cool and dry. I've had viable seeds for 5+ years using this method.

I store mine in zip-locks, inside a jar, in the fridge. Keeps the moisture out, too.

Some seeds require special treatment before storage. Well, tomatoes do anyway. You have to "ferment" them first. https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-sav...-seeds-1403292
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

I store mine in envelopes inside of baggies in the freezer. We have always done this with no issues of germination.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Tomato seeds do need the fermentation to increase germination rates but can usually give me more plants than I can put in without it. I usually set the fruits I let ripen for that out in the store house until they basically rot. Then I separate the seeds out and let them dry. We aren't putting in any tomatoes this year. We had fusarium wilt, tobacco mosaic virus AND nematodes last year. We're going to lay off the tomatoes this year to see if that clears them up. Spring and Fall tomato crop last year was dismal. On the other hand we couldn't eat all the bell peppers that came off of 6 plants. Go figure.

We're going to put in a lot of purple hull peas. The carrots, spinach and lettuce are still producing. Turnips are gone though.

Alan

You don't have to go without tomatoes. There are varieties that are resistant to fusarium wilt, TMV and nematodes. Just choose wisely, weedhopper.

I've got a little patch of yard that has never been used as a garden spot. I'll probably put in four plants or so there, and they will be resistant varieties if I can find sets.

Alan

sure. Take a 3 extra 10x10 lw tarps and see how much 3" mesh netting you can make out of them in a week, by tearing them into 1/8" (or a little bit wider) strips, twisting the strips in order to make them stronger and then coiling them around a hunk of sapling.. Make a 2-stick netting needle and load the cordage onto the needle from the hunk of wood. For the next week, see how much 1.5" mesh netting you can make by weaving splits of roots, reeds, shoots, and vines into the 3" mesh, tying every other mesh with some monofilament fishline. This second week, every couple of days, put the newly made netting into the water, as a baited net-weir. The third week, see how much fish you catch per day, by the lb, not by the number of fish, with the results of 2 weeks of making netting. Then you'll see what the Alone TV show people should be doing, instead of making "winter" shelters that they will starve out before needing.

You can use the 12x12 tarp, half of the 20x20 tarp and the 2 person hammock to make netting. It's going to add up to well over 2000 sq ft of 1.5" mesh netting, altho the seine can't use the vegetative matter. it's too heavy, bulky and fragile for creating anything but the weir-net.

Sounds like a good way to catch a game warden around here.

Alan

so just get a subsistence permit first, like the Innuit get.

Banned

If you need the REAL challenge, try to recreate the Dyatlov Pass in the northern Ural mountains

Blog Entries

Well if you want a real challenge to give some thought to this one. Now I'm not the expert in all tribal traditions. Not sure the age of a young Indian brave when becoming a man. Maybe 12-years old or older. The young Brave would go out into the wild for three days or more until the task was completed with nothing more than his bow, knife, some rocks to make a fire and live off the land and return with the tail feather of an Eagle. But I'm thinking that part may be illegal today, and we want this to be fair and above board. So what would replace an Eagles tail feather? Okay, have an idea, catch a male Bird and only take a photo of it inside the trap and let it return to its habitat after the photo has been taken. You may have to study up on the tribes in your area and find out what they did. But as this is my suggestion please keep it all legal and yourself out of trouble.

when I was a Boy Scout some would join the order of the Arrow, which meant you could not talk for 24-hours and three matches to start one fire and empty and clean up all trash cans in the park. There was more but that was so long ago.
    Last edited by DogMan635; 05-22-2019 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DogMan635 View Post
    Well if you want a real challenge to give some thought to this one. Now I'm not the expert in all tribal traditions. Not sure the age of a young Indian brave when becoming a man. Maybe 12-years old or older. The young Brave would go out into the wild for three days or more until the task was completed with nothing more than his bow, knife, some rocks to make a fire and live off the land and return with the tail feather of an Eagle. But I'm thinking that part may be illegal today, and we want this to be fair and above board. So what would replace an Eagles tail feather? Okay, have an idea, catch a male Bird and only take a photo of it inside the trap and let it return to its habitat after the photo has been taken. You may have to study up on the tribes in your area and find out what they did. But as this is my suggestion please keep it all legal and yourself out of trouble.

when I was a Boy Scout some would join the order of the Arrow, which meant you could not talk for 24-hours and three matches to start one fire and empty and clean up all trash cans in the park. There was more but that was so long ago.
    Pot and machete sounds good. I'll put into consideration. I have done 2 days with just and pot and knife no problem. I already planed on a fresh area as not to already have a shelter built. Even if I didn't have a blade meat is always an option weather it be fish, crayfish, fresh water snails or mammals. There are plenty of edible plants in the northeast to make salads. I'm so glad you said a pot. Water is always my main concern, without a container to boil water I'd be sucking on moss for two to three weeks lol. I have drank directly from a spring before, but will not be in that area and even then water source can become contaminated pretty easy by wildlife.
    FYI old solder I am doing this for educational purposes not for ego, I could care less about subscriptions, just want to share skills and knowledge, not to many people have videos on survival that last more than 48 hours, even primitive technology is filmed in the guys back yard lol. Witch reminds me if anyone has any methods or skills that I don't already know to put to the test I will do research and give them a try. But keep in mind I have laws I must follow when hunting, trapping and fishing. Sadly dead falls are out of the question.