Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Give me some challenges!

Gravel, sand, and charcoal for a pretty good filter. Still have to have a container. Wish I had a pic of one homemade filter one of our guys built and brought to a camp. It was great.

Woodsman

A container would be easy to make just not one I can directly boil in. I've never made a filter but understand the concept. Water from natural Springs around here are pretty good and I have drank directly from one before(knowing I can easily get treated if I get sick). but there is still always that chance. If I put it through a filter I would feel better about it.
    Last edited by Chī; 03-25-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chī View Post
    I am dependent on the wilderness, not technology or society.
    You can quote me on that.
    Unfortunately, if the SHTF, you will not be alone in the wilderness, as running off to the wilderness to live like Tarzan is the plan of all the nonplanners that live in the cities ( not calling you one of the non-preppers at all). They beLIEve that the wilderness lifestyle will be easy with no planning or prep, no practical knowledge. they've never seen a real tree except in the city park or one of the mass cut trees at Christmas yet believe they can head for the woodsy hills when everything goes south and be able to know instinctively what is edible or not and how to procure meat and make water safe to drink.
    You will not be alone in the wilderness, there is not enough wilderness left to hide or support the masses coming your way. You have a leg up on them as you are here to learn, and we certainly hope that you are practicing what you learn "boots on the ground".
    The vast majority who come to the wilderness will not survive for various reasons creating another set of problems for those who do survive, yep, you can scavenge whatever fancy (or not so fancy) gear they brought with them, but the bigger issue is what to do with the remains of those who come, but fail, because I'm sure the smell would be unbearable, but what if they didn't survive from something other than lack of knowledge of what is safe and what is not in the woods, but from disease of some sort, because if they died from a disease it must be something that you don't want leaching into the water table from the decay of a corpse so someone must prevent that by disposing of the corpse accordingly and IMO, burning would be in order to lessen that chance.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Woodsman

I'm not sure what you are getting at.

Woodsman

Disease will get to us all. Eventually the fish antibiotics everyone is stocking up on will probably expire before it can even be used. And when serious SHTF you can't just order more. I've explained why I think living in the wilderness will have better odds. I know I won't be the only one in the wilderness but most will still be in the general population, With most peppers. Prepping is different for everyone, the skills I learned (boots on the ground) was my version of prepping. The 10+ years of experience in the wilderness (not city) I have learned makes me well suited to survive in the wilderness. Again there is logic in saying that someone who stocks up on supplies and sits around on a homestead or farm is a much bigger target than someone not wide out in the open, not to poke holes in people's planing but that's why most have a bug out bags. Odds are they are going to have to use them because the masses will have to cross farms and small towns to get to the wilderness. Again meaning they will be other people's problems before mine. While people are stocking guns I'm stocking knowledge on the land around me. Not to say I don't have a ton of guns lol but you can't rely on that, I stock up on seeds (over 1,000 varieties) vs standard freez dried/canned/mre. I believe a mobile farm is less inconspicuous the a stationary one, the fact that I will propagate food means I won't have to forage all the time. Burning bodies will be something we all will have to do (viking style) but also have to burn feces witch is just as much of a concern for disease as bodies. I have a hell of a stockpile but I can tell you most of it is not food. Humans naturally take the path of least resistance. Meaning masses will head your way first not mine. The fact that more people prepare in the doomsday prepper kind of way vs wilderness way goes to show that most won't go into the wilderness (like I said "most") and not to sound like a geek but when they do I'll be the ewoks and they will be the storm troopers (meaning I have the home field advantage). When people in city's run out of supplies they will head to smaller towns, farms, and homesteads. They will naturally go were they think there are supplies, the last thing on most people's minds will be let's go into the woods were there are minimal supplies. All while some people are practicing to do exactly that. Everyone has reasons for prepping the way they do but all (and I mean ALL) have flaws. The important thing to do is learn to adapt. Another advantage I have is that I was born and lived my whole life in the woodsy hills, it doesn't get much more hilly and woodsy than the appalachain mountains. Most people can't even identify what tree is sitting in their living room during the holidays. What you are saying makes sense if you were talking about someone who (like you said) has never seen a real tree. But that is the equivalent of saying someone wouldn't stand a chance on a homestead because the only farm animal they have ever seen was on tv. Again it depends on who you are referring to. To assume someone is not prepared because they practice how to live in the wilderness instead of stockpiling things they can't replace when they run out is unrealistic. I'll stay on the farm with my family until it's too late but it's likely that will be a few weeks after SHTF. And I'm not wasting ammo or risking my family's life to defend land that everyone will want, they will keep coming back until they have it and then they will deal with the same thing down the line. Meanwhile my retreat into the wilderness keeps my family safer than staying put. I would not lead my family into the wilderness if I wasn't sure we can survive.

May I ask where you will go with your family if and when you need to bug out? And could you survive off the wilderness when you have nothing left but a pack full of gear and your food rations run out? (These questions are for everyone) You know my plans, I would like to know yours with a logical explanation on how you will survive (starvation,disease,other people,ect).
    Last edited by Chī; 03-25-2019 at 11:08 PM.

You only need to look at history to understand what the consequences of a true disaster will be. People who knew how to live off the land were down to eating bark off the trees.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Woodsman

Here are pictures of people who actually lived off the land.article2adenavillage.jpgna_gallery_7.jpg
    The pictures you posted are of European people (at that time most likely farmers, if not from the city) that were probably pushed into the wilderness weather it had been from economic collapse, war or natural disasters. There is a reason people like that end up eating bark (because they didn't know how to survive off the land). Native Americans proved humans can live of the land (not just eating bark) and some people today proved we can live like them. The land you are referring to that they (the people in your photos) lived off of was their farms or comfort a city or town witch judging by the pictures didn't end well. Even when Europeans came here they would have never survived without the help of the natives.

Again
    May I ask where you will go with your family if and when you need to bug out? And could you survive off the wilderness when you have nothing left but a pack full of gear and your food rations run out? (These questions are for everyone) You know my plans, I would like to know yours with a logical explanation on how you will survive (starvation,disease,other people,ect). Clearly the people in your photo couldn't.
    Last edited by Chī; 03-26-2019 at 08:59 AM.

Woodsman

May I ask for the link to that picture to do research on those people's actual situation. Clearly you are not looking far enough back into history. These seem to be pictures of people that lived in the comfort of a more modern civilization (that has failed them).

[/QUOTE] May I ask where you will go with your family if and when you need to bug out? And could you survive off the wilderness when you have nothing left but a pack full of gear and your food rations run out? (These questions are for everyone) You know my plans, I would like to know yours with a logical explanation on how you will survive (starvation,disease,other people,ect).[/QUOTE]
    Smart "preppers" are not going to tell you what their plans are, where they plan to go or hunker down, what they have stored for foods, weapons, ammo, etc. You are no longer a prepper when you do that, but a target for whoever is trolling these boards. Even before the SHTF, you are a target because those who tell everyone their plans, also tells everyone when they are home or going on vacation or have a dr appointment etc. It doesn't take long for all your material preps to disappear when you are not home ( YOU= everyone who posts what they have and where they live etc. online on open forums)

Be prepared, but keep your preps to yourself and make sure your family also knows not to tell others what you have or what you are doing.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

What Nell67 said. I have several plans depending on the type of SHTF. I'm not going to post them. None are long term nomadic living.

Woodsman

What you are saying makes sense. Except the ( YOU= everyone who posts what they have and where they live etc. online on open forums) thing. Do you know what county in Pennsylvania I'm in let alone the city. I never posted where I would go, If I would stay in pa or what gear I supplies I have (Except seeds). I have different plans as well but I'm talking serious SHTF. Like I said a natural disaster won't cause much chaos in America. Sure places can get destroyed but with the government/society we have in place you are bound to get some type of help. Or you can just go somewhere that is not affected, Good prepping for that would be get the hell out of the places that have that bad of disasters to prevent massive loss. I don't need to know your entire plan just explain why you think staying put is better than keeping on the move. In a major SHTF situation. I don't tell anyone my complete plan and don't even tell my family anything except where to meet if something goes down. All anyone here knows is I'll have a mobile farm in undisclosed locations vs a stationary farm. Like being a needle in a haystack vs being the haystack. And people on this forum know more about my plans than anyone within a over 1,000 mile radius of me, (witch isn't much). No were near enough info for any of you to think it's worth traveling that far to take what I have or compromise my plans.

If I read you clear you're not just talking SHTF but TEOTWAWKI. Some of us have talked about that over the campfire. The consensus was we'd prefer to be at ground zero if that happened (Ever seen "The Road" ?). Real survival sucks. Hungry, thirsty, cold, sick, etc.

I think I'd be ok with anything less than that for awhile. And as someone pointed out, most on this forum probably tend towards temporary survival. Down here it's hurricanes, tornados, and flooding. Having said that, there was still a tent city of displaced people in Homestead years after hurricane Andrew.

I grew up working a two-acre garden from 6 years on, hoeing by hand, getting up at 4 in the morning after plants broke the surface of the soil. We raised and butchered our own meat, or hunted and fished. The only time we went into a grocery store was to buy dish soap, sugar flour, and cornmeal. I used to dream about those great big fancy cookies displayed in the bakery department. Rendered our own lard from the hogs we raised, I learned how to make sausage and bacon at a young age as well as cooking for large groups who showed up every day at mealtime. Were we Amish?? Nope, my family are Native American, who lived for a time in the Appalachian mountains, intermarried with the white folk at one point, eventually my grandparents (each half Cherokee) moved to Indiana and raised their family, living very much as they did in the mountains, growing huge gardens, planting fruit trees, raising their own and teaching the next generations how to live as they lived, my grandfather taught me to fish and to hunt ginseng, how to butcher and process our own farm raised cow, hogs, chickens, and rabbits.
    They hunted squirrel, but not so much deer as our stores were full from the cows and hogs and other animals we'd processed. I spent the heat of the day in the cooler woods hunting ginseng or among other greens or mushrooms or fishing, we didn't go to the zoo or museums like other families or go on vacations over the summer, there was too much to do at home, traveling anywhere meant attending a funeral for a family member or rarely a good friend who has passed, never went to a drive-in theater until I was a teenager going on date if my father approved, not hanging out at the skating rink with groups of friends, that was not allowed. Your life growing up was like many of our lives and many of us also grew up the "old way".

We know how the Natives lived, we know that the English would not have survived this country had it not been for help from the Natives, you are telling this group NOTHING we haven't known probably since well before you were born. Rick showed you a picture of what can happen in dire situations, war? famine? does it matter what the situation is? they were starving and trying to survive any way they could.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Rick or Crash could have your location in just a few clicks of a mouse. We've had trolls on here claiming they were living the life in some remote area and telling stories of everything he did the day before or last week, he was really roughing it. Except he was REALLY posting from Chicago maybe?? someplace very far removed from what he was posting. I believe he was living vicariously through a relative of his. you can run but usually, if you are posting online, you can't hide.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by Chī View Post
    May I ask for the link to that picture to do research on those people's actual situation. Clearly you are not looking far enough back into history. These seem to be pictures of people that lived in the comfort of a more modern civilization (that has failed them).

Right click on the picture and hit "Search Google for Image"

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Woodsman

Thank you, I'll have to wait until I get home as I'm using a phone right now. I like that we can debate things here without people getting hostile lol

Native cultures the world over are just about gone because they couldn't survive other cultures taking them over. They were not survivors. That will be true for any time of disaster. Long term survival will be about cooperation and not about going it alone. My plans are to deal with natural disasters since that's the most likely problem any of us will have to face. Those are short term problems, days or weeks, and recoverable. You seem to be concerned about a global issue. If that happens, then all bets are off and your vision of survival is just as made up as the next person's.

A few years ago, during the recession, everyone was talking about how we should all run off to Venezuela. How the U.S. economy was in collapse and Venezuela was an example of how to survive. Not so much today. Their vision didn't pan out so well.

I gave you a real life example because it is more near to us than those native cultures that you offered. We will be more like those Europeans than those native cultures. Look at history and how others have fared in really bad situations and that's how things will pan out for us. That's just how human beings work. We are no different the world over. To think you have something special is to deny the fact that the odds are much more favorable that you will be a victim than a survivor.

Woodsman

There are many factors in that theory, that fact that I would not go completely primitive would help. Imagine that the natives of this land had just as much firepower as the Europeans, there would have been a good chance that they could have pushed the Europeans away. I would not ditch everything and replace guns with bows, rocks and Spears. When all the bullet casings keep expanding so much to the point you can't reload them, that would be a viable option. I wouldn't live exactly like the natives but just enough to survive off the land like they did. With that logic you are making battle primary survival, if I'm running around the woods in a loincloth or not as long as I keep modern firepower I will stand a chance unlike native Americans who got decimated because of lack of firepower. First I'm told I won't survive because I'll be eating bark. Then I explain A. I have knowledge to forage (not just tree bark) and B. I can cultivate food as I have the knowledge and means to do so.
    Then I'm told that a population of 300,000 people will be in the wilderness making life hard for me. A. They will likely stay in civilization making life harder for people who stay put. And B. To assume those people will get together to make life easy is not ideal. Again people will be to busy battling each other to think let's go into the forest and f**k with people there.
    The native Americans were wiped out with smallpox as well (bio warfare) well two can play that, when people come hostile and get shot in the *** with a .22 that was soaked in a latrine for a while will probably run away limping and surely die of disease weeks later. Yes I suppose I'm talking TEOTWAWKI and not regular SHTF. And yes I understand that most here are prepping for natural disasters (idk how many times I I'll be told that) I'm seriously waiting for someone to tell me I don't belong here. You could always rename the misleading name of the forum to Natural Disaster Preparedness Group. And get rid of the primitive survival section. I did not come here to debate TEOTWAWKI or SHTF with people but to share and learn skills weather they be farming or primitive. In fact those situations are the least of my concerns. I just want to get on with what this thread was intended for. I'll make a separate one for debate. Yes most of you are here for natural disaster preparedness, and I can see why people who aren't on the same page as "most" of you don't stick around as much.

You asked others why here prepare. They are responding to your question. The fact that those who have responded happen to be prepared for natural disasters does not mitigate the fact that we also prepare for wilderness survival. It's not an either or question. No one is telling you not to prepare for whatever you think will happen only that the views you've stated seem to have a bit of tunnel vision. All we've attempted to do is add some "reality" to what you are attempting to prepare for. Accept it or not. That's up to you but please do so in the spirit it is intended. To help, not to debate. We're not telling you that you are wrong. After all, none of us have been through that scenario. Only that our view of that scenario is somewhat different and there might be other things to think about.

Do you know what county in Pennsylvania I'm in let alone the city.
    Why yes.....yes I do.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel