Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Give me some challenges!

Woodsman

Default Give me some challenges!

So spring is right around the corner and I usually take a long trip into the wilderness for about three weeks at a time come mid March/ June. Anyway I am planing on making this trip my first youtube video, anyone got any challenges for me this go around. I don't care how far fetched the idea just throw it out there. I was considering a random priced Walmart or even dollar store challenge, or a minimal gear challenge like just a knife/ maybe a pot hell I'll even do a no gear challenge, not saying I'll make it three weeks but I will try. I would obviously have to bring a solar charger along with cameras to film but want to know what you guys would like to see. Thanks for your input.

just go on Naked and Afraid and become famous

Pot and Machete Challenge. Several of us here in FL have done this. You get a pot and machete and the clothes on your back. Want fire? Bow and drill or hand drill with onsite material. Want shelter? Build it. Want water? Boil it. Want food? Find it. 3 days is what we started with. Hope you like grubs and roots.

Woodsman

Quote Originally Posted by old soldier View Post
    just go on Naked and Afraid and become famous
    Naked and afraid is too fake, maybe I'll send in my audition video when they stop using cgi to make the show more dramatic. Lol

Woodsman

Pot and machete sounds good. I'll put into consideration. I have done 2 days with just and pot and knife no problem. I already planed on a fresh area as not to already have a shelter built. Even if I didn't have a blade meat is always an option weather it be fish, crayfish, fresh water snails or mammals. There are plenty of edible plants in the northeast to make salads. I'm so glad you said a pot. Water is always my main concern, without a container to boil water I'd be sucking on moss for two to three weeks lol. I have drank directly from a spring before, but will not be in that area and even then water source can become contaminated pretty easy by wildlife.
    FYI old solder I am doing this for educational purposes not for ego, I could care less about subscriptions, just want to share skills and knowledge, not to many people have videos on survival that last more than 48 hours, even primitive technology is filmed in the guys back yard lol. Witch reminds me if anyone has any methods or skills that I don't already know to put to the test I will do research and give them a try. But keep in mind I have laws I must follow when hunting, trapping and fishing. Sadly dead falls are out of the question.
    Last edited by Chī; 03-20-2019 at 04:49 PM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

First and most important challenge, turn off the computer and go without internet and social media for the next month.

You don't even have to go to the woods and starve or break the law to complete this one.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Woodsman

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    First and most important challenge, turn off the computer and go without internet and social media for the next month.

You don't even have to go to the woods and starve or break the law to complete this one.
    I got you there. Despite being 25 I haven't had social media since I was 13, I grew up in the streets with a crack head as a mother until I was 13. Barely had heat through those times let alone Internet, or even a tv. Just recently got social media in my life less than a month (just twitter) witch is more for news than anything, unless of course you count this forum. Add all that up and I beat that challenge more than a thousand times. Starving is included in this challenge. I'm am the type that begins to get frustrated by society the more I am in it, the only escape is the wilderness. I also just recently made a youtube channel, one for teaching and learning (not ego). I am the type that when I get older I want to teach the younger generations what I know, and not be prejudice against them assuming that anyone younger can't be off their cell phone for more than 20 minutes. I'm not your typical young gun. The fact that you are a senior member on this forum with almost 10,000 posts just goes to show you would have a harder time with this challenge. You probably have more time staring at a screen than I do and that's not counting the age factor, and that you have lived longer than me. I don't know if you get off on being prejudice against younger people, but this generation is saving the wilderness that older generations destroyed. Even if we do use computers and social media to do it. Instead of belittling people encourage them. (Thank you madmax)
    Anyway if anyone has some real challenges (non prejudice) I would love to give them a shot. Thanks to everyone who has been more than welcome. I look forward to sharing my experience (and mistakes) to better educate people.

If you spend too much time thinking of a thing you will never get it done. -Bruce Lee.
    I will live and die by this motto.
    Last edited by Chī; 03-23-2019 at 08:03 AM.

Woodsman

I am dependent on the wilderness not technology or society.
    You can quote me on that.

Despite the name on the forum, most of the folks here mostly prepare for the unexpected, local disasters, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods.... Not so much running out to the woods to "survive." Survival situations aren't anything to go seeking.

Lasting 3 weeks in the woods with a knife is just a game. If you are of the mindset that you want to survive when the SHTF, or even a long economic downturn, you might want to think a little more long term. Find a way to afford a place of your own to homestead, get dug in, get a large enough garden up to meet your needs, learn about animal husbandry. Running off to the wilderness is not going to be an option. There are 300million other folks around the country that may beat you to it, and soon they all will be eating rocks and tree bark and burning their socks to keep warm. Not enough forage out there to sustain a family, let alone a whole population. Also on the subject of land, in a bad situation, trespassers might be shot on sight. Don't be one.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Woodsman

Unfortunately a huge fraction of those 300 million people will be raiding small farms and homesteads of family's who think sitting around playing Amish will be ok during an economic/ government/ whatever collapse. I know it's just a show but take walking dead for example, take out the zombies and we will still have the same collapsed society. Just look what happens every time those nice people sit around and get comfortable, same thing will surely happen to everyone who does the same only in the real world all those threats won't be brain dead taking 5 steps a minute. Those who live a nomadic lifestyle, living off the land like nomadic tribes that have been her longer than anyone while chaos is breaking loose will have a higher chance of surviving. To think a population of 300 million will be in the woods like me is unrealistic. More likely they will be your problem. You can argue and say a bunch of good people will work together to make that happen but again similar to walking dead and life now, people will have there own agendas in your reformed society that likely has its own hierarchy. All it takes is a few people not to agree with your new government laws and another collapse begins. Every time someone leaves your colony you risk compromising your security, only way to deal with that is not let people leave (however that may be) then look what you have become your people will soon see that too and turn as well. It's great to have a place of your own to homestead, get dug in, get a large enough garden up to meet your needs, learn about animal husbandry now in today's economy, but when SHTF it is unrealistic to think you can use that as a safety net, if anything it puts a target on your back. Meanwhile I'm running around the woods "playing" native American. Sure I will have my own threats in the wilderness but I'm sure my chances are better than yours so I will take them.

Why do I feel like I'm going to get ganged up on by senor members now.
    Last edited by Chī; 03-23-2019 at 11:52 AM.

I am assuming the challenges you want to undertake are threefold. 1 - improve your skills, 2 - improve your confidence and 3 - have some fun. I would suggest a serious self-assessment of your skills and then focus on what your weakest ones are. By doing so you will improve an area that you are weak in along with building your confidence.

For example, my knowledge of wild edible is limited. It is a skill/knowledge that I would work on. Of course, that particular one would require me to work on it prior to an extended outing. I have taken some classes in the past, but would need to ramp up the learning.

When I think of skills that are required for an extended minimalist stay (fire, water, shelter, food, etc.) they all have one thing in common and that is to master them before they are needed for survival.

I know that you have done this before and have a skill/knowledge base --- that is why I recommended a self assessment.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Oh - having read your last post...........what sort of SHTF do you envision? I couldn't disagree with your last statement any more in that post.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Woodsman

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I am assuming the challenges you want to undertake are threefold. 1 - improve your skills, 2 - improve your confidence and 3 - have some fun. I would suggest a serious self-assessment of your skills and then focus on what your weakest ones are. By doing so you will improve an area that you are weak in along with building your confidence.

For example, my knowledge of wild edible is limited. It is a skill/knowledge that I would work on. Of course, that particular one would require me to work on it prior to an extended outing. I have taken some classes in the past, but would need to ramp up the learning.

When I think of skills that are required for an extended minimalist stay (fire, water, shelter, food, etc.) they all have one thing in common and that is to master them before they are needed for survival.

I know that you have done this before and have a skill/knowledge base --- that is why I recommended a self assessment.
    I couldn't agree more. Every time I go into the wilderness it's a self assessment. In a way life is a self assessment, we want to better our selves by touching up on our weakness. I would consider myself an avid survivalist (for my area). I know how to make a friction fire despite extreme humidity levels, know many plants, medicinal and edible, and primitive hunting experience. The whole reason. if you read the original post is to accept a challenge that I may or may not be able to do and document it. Weather I am successful or not assess and not just a self assessment. There is a reason people don't grade themselves on test because it's easy to bias if favor of yourself. For example where I see I'm doing nothing wrong you may point out flaws, without an assessment of other people I wouldn't know. I've been self assessing myself my whole life as most of us do. Another example would be if you taught yourself how to make blades, it's possible but would be faster and make less mistakes if you were taught how and had someone assess your methods and help prevent mistakes. It is exactly this I intended to accomplish. Its also why I ask if anyone has any methods and or skills that I may not know to give it a shot. I may fail miserable in fact it's likely but without making mistakes you can't fix them and without advice from someone that knows more about said skill that would be a slow process. Mastering fire, finding water, answer making shelter, with the safety and comfort of having your house or some form of civilization close by is different than the stress of a real situation. For example at home you can make a knife with little to no effort, like the guys on forged in fire, once there on the show not at the comfort of their own forge the real stress is on and you see master blacksmiths make mistakes. It's these stressful situations I plan on not just (like you said) my confidence but my skills in general. The the SHTF I expect is real big sh*#, not natural disasters witch most have warnings and a trip to the grocery store to stock up on bread milk and eggs will suffice until things are in order. Meaning stocking up on extreme amounts of food guns ammo and having a full blown homestead is unnecessary. It would be nice to have but unnecessary. Prepping for a natural disaster is waiting for a warning and stocking up on 2 weeks supply (at most) and riding it out. The fact that someone owns an entire homestead during a really bad natural disaster means they have more assets to lose. You have been nothing but nice to me and your comment shows you are a neutral party (witch I appreciate) but when someone (a senior member) takes a crack at me because I'm young I took offence and pointed out the prejudice in that comment. Then another senior member defends that senor member my taking a shot at me by saying the skills I practice are just a game. That would be like saying the skills you practice are just a game. The last statement was more or less a pre meditated defense so if more senior members take shots at me for not approving the skills I practice people can see I wasn't wrong. Just the comment from low key alone "Despite the name on the forum, most of the folks here mostly prepare for the unexpected, local disasters, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods.... Not so much running out to the woods to "survive." Makes it seem like if you not on the same page you don't belong here, I understand most of you do but that's just it "most" not all, I guess I'm not here for most of you and if that's the case I'll just stick to the primitive survival section.
    Last edited by Chī; 03-23-2019 at 08:31 PM.

I have to disagree with you a bit. Whether a post is made by a senior member, an junior member, a new member or a drive by post from somebody that doesn't intend to interact with others matters not. Posts are judged/evaluated/responded to on the merits of the post.

Prepping for a natural disaster is waiting for a warning and stocking up on 2 weeks supply (at most) and riding it out.
    While I'm sure that may be true for some, I and many others here have a year or more of food put up.

The fact that someone owns an entire homestead during a really bad natural disaster means they have more assets to lose.
    While that possibility exists, proper preparation can mitigate much of that. Anything outside of that - that is what insurance is for. Yes, insurance is part of my preps.

Everybody came here for their own reasons. My initial reason for joining this forum was following a natural disaster in my area where I refused to become a victim. My reasons have grown over the years because I was able to keep an open mind. While I do not agree with everything here, I do not discount the opinions of others. They may be looking at things differently than I do and it is up to me (not them) to identify those differences.

Like any learning - take what you need, leave behind what you do not. What works for you may not work for me and visa versa.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Woodsman

I apologize if I rubbed anyone the wrong way. I'm not here to cause trouble. Just here to find people with similar interests, not to draw out those who don't. If you don't like what someone is doing simply ignore instead of taking valuable time to belittle. Thou shall not judge thy neighbor until the beam of thy own eyes have been cleansed. Unless of course I ask you to judge me. Then fire away.

Woodsman

I totally get the insurance thing , but if you ever had to use it you will likely get the run around and your insurance company will try to avoid giving you as much as they can via loopholes and such. Sad but true and if it's any different for you send me some digits for that insurance company. I came for my own reasons as well and intend to stay for them. Anyway lets get on with those challenges, I got one you might like, primitive forge. I can find bits of iron and try to forge even just an arrow head, any input?

Here ya go Chi. Making a quicky bow for fishing and and a green bamboo container for boiling water on a Pot and Machete without the pot. I made a mistake in this backyard grub eating venture. It's desirable to bite the head off before eating or they bite back going down. lol.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Wild orange found on a P&M on a river trip. Sour but great for making boiled river water palatable.

Torch of fatwood (Lighter).

Almost done shelter with bamboo heat reflector.

Pics and vids are good.
    Last edited by madmax; 03-24-2019 at 01:48 PM.

Man....man....Hold on....Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Attached Images Attached Images

See Chi? I'm not young or new and they still pick on me. LOL.

Woodsman

Nice pics, the only thing is we don't have the same resources. As much as I would like to find and orange it's just not going to happen, and wow that's a huge grub, I have only found one that size. That's a woods gusher. Unfortunately the only bamboo in PA was ether propagated or spread from propagated plants. Witch is why I will try to find an alternative method not using bamboo. I was thinking a filter but I'm not sure if that would extract potential parasites. I have a great idea for a shelter I'm sure a lot of you would like, a wigwam. I already had one and it was home away from home. At least until a widow maker crushed it like a crunchy taco. I will attempt to do another in another safer spot as long as I can make enough cordage (used paracord for the last one). I was even thinking of attempting to grind/carve a large stone to make container to boil water but that would probably take 3 weeks on its own. Another option is if I tried to find clay along the creek,(witch I have tried and failed miserably) to make pottery. But a new spot might yeld some new resources. I've eaten more grasshoppers than grubs, I know why they are
    delicacies in other countries, they are better than one may think. I believe I can find all the basic survival necessities, my main concern is always water purification. I have never had a problem gathering food unless it's winter, then I have access to as much purified water I need and gathering food becomes my main concern.