Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any tips on free ranging chickens?

Woodsman

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    You are not using this "problem" to its best advantage!

This is your excuse to buy a new .300 Blackout AR platform complete with suppressor and night vision!

You have to seize these chances when they arise.

You are already dealing with keeping chickens which will cost more to feed than the value of their eggs so why not consider dropping another grand for a new shooter with all the trimmings so you can protect them?
    Hell yeah I would use that as an excuse if I didn't already have a 300 blackout lol. But I don't think you understand the concept of free ranging, the chickens feed themselves, bugs weeds ect. Yeah ill have to pay during winter but this is to get me started in self sufficiency. If I have to I'll grow there dam food and collect their poop to help grow it, lawn trimmings/ leaves and other organic material for deep bedding. I spend at least $1,000 on eggs a year so I don't understand where you are coming from. With that logic any farm that relies on eggs will go out of business and or wouldn't even bother doing it. The world would be without eggs, except for breeding and hatching.
    Last edited by Chī; 03-21-2019 at 07:35 AM.

There's this little store over in Victoria called Aldi's. They are a bare bones grocery. No, bags, baggers, or much else in the way of help. Just stockers and cashiers.

Some weeks ago eggs were 38 cents/ dozen. I don't know what they are now but the HEB (big grocery store) has them for 56 cents/doz. Eggs are cheaper than potatoes.

Alan

We always hit the Aldi's down here before we go to Publix. At worst Aldi's is half the price of Publix. But they don't have near the selection of Publix hence the 2 stops grocery shopping. Odd stuff pops up too. I have a self inflating camping mat that I found at an Aldi's for a ridiculous price.

Woodsman

We have an Aldi in our area. I haven't gone in a few weeks because they are remodeling. There are plenty of great deals but I don't think eggs ever got that cheap here. And if they ever do go that cheap with my luck I'll forget my quarter for the cart like I always do, thankfully everything I get usually fits in my totes. Anyway even if eggs get that cheap that isn't the point, it takes less effort to buy meat than hunt it, less effort to buy vegetables than grow them, and less effort to sit on your *** and watch on tv and talk about wilderness survival and self sufficiency than actually doing and practicing it. I'm not that type of guy. Something about doing it yourself that makes me happy. Sure I can go buy honey but I still want to keep bees some day. Hence self sufficiency. Just because I'll raise those chickens each egg has more value to me of any store bought egg. If you were in my area and seen how much organic brown free ranged eggs are that the Amish sell at the farmers market, you would want to raise chickens just for stright profit lol. Regular old eggs are like 78 cents a dozen up here but go up to $2.98 a dozen if you want organic brown free ranged eggs. I was definitely exaggerating when I said I spend $1,000 a year on eggs (about $306 minimum) but that's just for breakfast not as cooking ingredients. Anyway now I'm going to Aldi today, last time I went there I got a huge pork roast for like 13 dollars, I had pulled pork every day for like 2 weeks. I need to get one of those Aldi Keychains that holds a quarter. I forget my quarter all the time but seem to be the only one that brings totes so I don't have to pay for bags (like 10 cents a piece).
    Last edited by Chī; 03-21-2019 at 07:45 AM.

Woodsman

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    Brer Fox: Why hello der Brer Bear! Did you hear bout dat new chicken rest-u-rant ole Chi put in over at his place?

Brer Bear: Yes indeed I did Brer Fox, I was jess a-headen on over der tonight to see what was on da menu! Care to come along?

Brer Fox: Don't mind ifen I do. I hear dey gots some big lights what makes it easier to see which one you wants!

Alan
    LMFAO how did I miss this
    Like you mentioned I'm not too worried about bears but up here if any non big game animal damages your property you can take care of it.(not allowed to relocate trapped animals) So the only option it to dispatch it witch brings me a nice out of season pelt. Just call the game warden and explain why I might have a green pelt out of season and all is good. Unless the fox already got his dinner, but then his skin will save my skin.
    Last edited by Chī; 03-21-2019 at 09:06 AM.

when we go to Aldies, we take along those plastic milk crates that are stacked in back of every gas station that sells milk., they hold the food together, easy to handle and aren't so heavy when full.