Thread: EDC pack for me, a one armed person!

Default EDC pack for me, a one armed person!

Hi guys! I finally put together a small day pack, a little different stuff is needed now. Since I’m on pretty strong blood thinners, I carry quite a bit of stuff like blood stop, bandages , and spare medicine! I also carry a lot of clamps to hold things while I work on them, and a lot of small tools to help me do things. It’s amazing how what I carry has changed
    Now instead of packing things to survive in the wilderness, I carry things to just enable me to do things, and survive if I get cut!
    I can’t imagine surviving the wilderness with one arm, so now it’s down to surviving in a bad cut, having spare medicine, and things that allow me to hold something while I work on it with my remaining hand! Amazing how my priorities have changed!
    If anybody knows methods that helps you accomplish things with one hand, I’m interested! Getting ready to start shooting again, left hand, right eye dominant, I’m sure that’s going to be fun!
    Last edited by Wildthang; 02-20-2019 at 12:36 PM.
    Sir Knife Collectin, Rocket Ridin, Girl Crazy Post
    Hoe of WSF

I'm sure you'll get it all figured out. What happened to your arm .......... if you feel ok in telling us.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The stroke palyzed it!
    Sir Knife Collectin, Rocket Ridin, Girl Crazy Post
    Hoe of WSF

I expect that over time you'll adapt. Sorry about the stroke, that sucks. Will you get more function with it over time? In any event you'll have to change things around a bit but hopefully it won't keep you out of the woods entirely.

Hey, the Florida tribe has some members with "challenges". We improvise, adapt, and overcome. Keep on truckin'.

Sorry to hear about the stroke. As others have said - you will adapt and overcome. We're all rooting for you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

An older friend of mine had a stroke one night. He got up in the morning, made coffee, walked out got the paper, was half way through his first cup while reading the paper when he said he realized his right arm wasn't doing anything. Pissed him off. He went to the Hospital and they did what they could but it wasn't enough. Never got that arm back. Didn't slow him down one bit though. He kept on hunting and doing what he wanted to do. He was a tough, determined son of a gun.

Wishing you the best on your recovery. Sounds like you're getting back into things as best you can. The blood thinner thing sucks. Be careful.

Alan

After some surgery, I found I was having trouble putting my pack on. I took some line and tossed it over a tree limb. I tied one end to the carry loop on my pack using a slip knot so I could untie it with one hand. I tied a loop in the other end. I picked up my pack then put my foot in the loop to hold my pack in the air. Then I could slip my pack on, reach back and untie the knot and put the line away. Worked pretty slick. Hope my explanation is clear enough. 200 years from now none of our problems will bother us.

See, now that is ingenious! However, in practice, the pack would slip off my back plummeting to the ground yanking my foot out form under me and hoisting me into the air upside down....

Alan

Making it easier to get stuff out of the pack. You have to look at the bright side.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    After some surgery, I found I was having trouble putting my pack on. I took some line and tossed it over a tree limb. I tied one end to the carry loop on my pack using a slip knot so I could untie it with one hand. I tied a loop in the other end. I picked up my pack then put my foot in the loop to hold my pack in the air. Then I could slip my pack on, reach back and untie the knot and put the line away. Worked pretty slick. Hope my explanation is clear enough. 200 years from now none of our problems will bother us.
    I have a similar issue with my right arm. I have mentioned previously that I have spent numerous hours over several years to overcome the complete lack of range of motion in my right shoulder after nine surgeries. Part of my effort is to watch this website for forums such as this. Thank you all. OGI
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

I used to help people put their lives back together again after things like that. There are no specific fixes. It's play-by-play, step-by-step.

The most important thing is mental - the determination (and even joy) in figuring out how to overcome. Now, I bust a foot, rip a groin muscle, bust a hand, and I ignore the pain and go about figuring out how to get around the physical part. One thing that helps me is in remembering the "disabled" coworkers at the camp for disabled people I worked at, who had Olympic medals hanging on their walls. If they could win Olympic medals without feet or arms, I could complete a day hike.

Life does change. You become much more of a problem solver and everyday engineer.

I did a search on "gun for people with one arm" and saw....a lot. If nothing else, it was interesting. Most was about self-defense but, when I added "hunting", this came up...

https://www.disabledsportsusa.org

There also seems to be businesses that specialize in adaptive outdoor equipment.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Some of the old timers here can tell you that I have nothing smart to add, about anything (Hahaha), but if you need some inspiration, check out this facebook page that I follow. It's cast iron cooking with Tim Farmer. Tim has one arm that doesn't work, but the guy does some amazing things. I think he has a cooking show in Kentucky, but I know of him from a couple of his cooking pages on Facebook. From videos on those, I have seen that he hunts and has won archery compositions with one hand. (Not to mention he cooks some pretty good food, over a camp fire, in cast iron. LOL)
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

I first ran across Tim Farmer, while looking for a squirrel dumpling recipe video, to torment Ken with. This video of Tims is a little squirrel hunt and an easy peasy squirrel and dumplin', recipe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUXVYrnAv9Q

(By the way....if you don't have any squirrels, boil 3 or 4 chicken thighs for about 20 minutes in some chicken stock. While you let the thighs cool to pull the meat, start cooking your dumplin's like in the video. Then just throw the chicken meat back in. )
    Last edited by 2dumb2kwit; 03-13-2019 at 03:44 PM.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Cast iron cooking with one arm.....that's quite a show!
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Wildthang, so sorry to hear about your stroke. There is a former Kentucky DNR officer who used to do a weekly segment on tv called Kentucky Afield, one day he had a few too many adult beverages and crashed his motorcycle, nearly ended his life and damaged his right (dominant) arm to the point they wanted to amputate it, but he refused
    He can not use his hand to this day, but he has retaught himself many things he used to do with both hands to be able to do with one. he hunts ( draws his bowstring with his teeth), fishes, cooks among other things. He has a show on KET on Saturday evenings called Tim Farmers Country Kitchen, he has a facebook page and a youtube channel where he posts the video segments of his Saturday shows.

I myself was in an accident at 19 that nearly cost me MY right arm, and it took two + years and 4 surgeries in order to save my arm. In the meantime, I taught myself how to tie my shoes and care for my 2-month-old son one-handed, left-handed at that and I am naturally right-handed, even today I still shoot left-handed as I am now left eye dominant, I used to shoot right-handed before. You got this, it just takes time and determination to figure out where to go from this point and how you are going to make it there.

*** I guess I should have read EVERYONES posts before posting about Tim Farmer!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)