Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Range Shooter

Something to look forward to.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    hmmm. Long distance shooting... I can't see well enough to clip my toenails.
    Neither can I. Good glass helps a lot.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yes, I never cared for scopes on my rifles until I hit middle age and suddenly everything got small and very fuzzy!

Would you believe that "middle age" was now a lifetime ago?

As time goes on the magnifications get higher and higher too! Even my spotting scope for 200-300 yard work is now a 400x beast! I can get by with the 100x setting for 100 yard work.

I always get a kick out of still young"bare gun shooters" who don't trust those new-fangled pieces of two hundred year old technology.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

It's all fun and games, until you realize that a 5 mph cross breeze will move your point of impact almost 4 feet over, at 1,000 yds. LOL

Oh.....and it was kind of a shock, to realize that you have to wait for the bullet to get to the target, 1,000 yards down range. (With what I was shooting, it was right at 2 seconds, which is longer than you think.) LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Is 2 seconds longer in North Caroline than it is in the Midwest? I've heard of New York seconds being quicker but never heard of Carolina seconds being longer. Learn something every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Is 2 seconds longer in North Caroline than it is in the Midwest? I've heard of New York seconds being quicker but never heard of Carolina seconds being longer. Learn something every day.
    When I say 2 seconds, I'm judging by counting 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi. Have you ever heard us southerners talk?
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

snort... that was purty good.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yea, we don't rush anything in the south, even a two second count!

Does one have enough time after the trigger pull to eat a samich before the bullet hits at 1000 yards?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Yea, we don't rush anything in the south, even a two second count!

Does one have enough time after the trigger pull to eat a samich before the bullet hits at 1000 yards?
    Sounds tricky, but there are some big ol' boys 'round here that might just be able to do it. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

I've always wondered how you expect to get animals or people to hold STILL while you do all the necessary calculations? Cause if they are moving, nobody can reliably hit them, at anything like 800 yds. They just know that they lose nothing by trying. If I had a gun to their heads and they knew that I was going to brain them if they missed, nobody'd shoot at a live, man sized target, who can MOVE, beyond 400m, even without any wind or mirage. Dangerous men know better than to be holding still, in the open, in daylight, during hostilities. The above is why they try to snipe men who are relieving themselves, especially number 2, cause they know you'll be holding STILL for a while! Murphy says that when you actually HAVE to hit a man or animal, not only will it be moving, it will be windy, raining, cold and DARK. Which means 200m as the outside range.
    Last edited by highlo; 04-23-2019 at 10:11 AM.

Very cool! I've been mulling over picking up the same rifle but with a different scope.

Medium range is considered 600 yards by NRA Highpower Competition Div and long range is 800, 900 and 1000 yards. Its lots of fun to learn what the wind and mirage will do to you.
    NRA Life Member since 1972. Distinguished High Power Rifle, Distinguished Smallbore Prone US Palma Teams & US Dewar Teams,(2) US Palma Trophy Individual Match wins, Centenary Trophy, Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland. Conducted testing for US Army Test and Evaluation Command, Army Material Systems Analysis Activity and US Marine Corps. Army Sniper Rifle consultant. Test& evaluation of Small Arms, at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center.

I've seen mirages before but it was usually after drinking apple pie.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Very cool! I've been mulling over picking up the same rifle but with a different scope.
    And then......

Quote Originally Posted by fkoso View Post
    Veeeeelly Intelesting...

Alan

Yeah it was. It was a Ukainian...probably looking for Hunter.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

In NRA competition mid range is considered 600 yards and long range 800, 900 and 1000 yards. It is hard to find the longer ranges for competition. You don't need a magnum as the medium capacity cases such as 308, 30.06, 6.5X06, will do the job. In the Palma Trophy match you are restricted to 308 Win only.
    NRA Life Member since 1972. Distinguished High Power Rifle, Distinguished Smallbore Prone US Palma Teams & US Dewar Teams,(2) US Palma Trophy Individual Match wins, Centenary Trophy, Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland. Conducted testing for US Army Test and Evaluation Command, Army Material Systems Analysis Activity and US Marine Corps. Army Sniper Rifle consultant. Test& evaluation of Small Arms, at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    This is where that thing about "long range" being a subjective term enters the discussion.

A precision made rifle shooting high quality ammo in .22lr can be just as accurate as a 6.5, out to 100 yards.

We have guys at my club that shoot ping-pong balls at 200 yards with .22lr.

There is also the occasional rifle that comes out of the box shooting little bitty groups, even using factory ammo.

And one thing is certain, it will be the quality, selection building and tuning of the ammo that determines just how well someone shoots one of the big bore long range rifles.

I have one rifle that will not shoot better than 4"@100 with Federal 150grain .308. With the proper handloads it will shoot into 3/8"@100.

The real problem with extreme long range work is that matching all the components to the climate, rifle and range becomes a mathematical equation in itself. You can work up a load that shoots great at 100 yards, then find that out past 800 yards it goes squirrely.

The 6.5 has gained such a following due to its design keeping the speed of a heavy weight bullet above the speed of sound all the way to 1000 yards, avoiding the turbulence of the speed of sound deceleration. A .308 bullet with the same ballistic coefficient is too heavy to match those speeds. You have to jump up to .300win-mag/.338lup to achieve that performance consistently again.

It might sound strange but when shooting an air gun you must take the same problem into consideration, only at 25 yards!

Same for the .22lr! That is why .22 "target ammo" starts out at 1000fps. It avoids the transition speed problem entirely. That is one reason many find the CCI standard velocity ammo very accurate in about anything they own.

As usual, well said!!

When any projectile or aircraft goes from supersonic to subsonic; there is a vibration that induces a wobble.

For those who are interested:
    https://www.accurateshooter.com/ball...-stability-bc/

When a bullet slows to transonic speed, it is approaching the sound barrier. This has a destabilizing effect on spin-stabilized projectiles, which is not good.
    https://panthaera.wixsite.com/tacdiv...llet-Stability

Whenever any object goes from supersonic to subsonic there is a destabilizing vibration or oscillation and it's just that simple.

https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...y-and-accuracy

Kind of lke me running as I slow down.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I thought about running the other day... Got pretty tired...

Alan