Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Long Range Shooter

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I hit that trans-sonic wall just thinking about hauling all that gear from the vehicle to the shooting bench these days.

I dragged out an old black powder rifle to play with a couple of days ago and can not develop the momentum to find all the BP gear it takes to make one go boom!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

See!!!!!!! That's what I'm talking about.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

My biggest issue with the BP stuff is after I run about 10 shots and have had enough, then spend an hour doing clean up.

I've got an old Trade Gun that probably got fired 130 years ago or more (probably more) and then propped in the corner. It's going to take some soaking in ATF for about a year before I can get the breech plug what's left of the nipple out. I haven't started on it yet.... someday....

Alan

My last job before I retired was forced induction. One of the aerodynamic engineers explained the trans-sonic wall to me. He even used CFD software to demonstrate it to me. However, he didn't add to what I already knew that is if the projectile stayed super sonic all the way to the target; it was unimportant. As Forest Gump said "One less thing."

I have 45-70 trapdoor Springfield rifles and I reload them using smokeless powder. No thanks to the long clean up times.

I clean my guns at least once per week, but I don't have many guns.
    Rigth now I have a 9mm pistol (for everyday carry), a .22LR a .22 PCP, a .22 springer and a crossbow.
    Different tools for different jobs.
    I own some stuff, and I know some things. But that's all.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I am not one that worries excessively about "cleaning" as long as there is no quicksand down the bore or weed seeds mixed with 10w40 inside the receiver of my shotgun. Cleaning a gun and really cleaning a gun are two separate operations and neither are needed as much as people attest.

Back a few decades ago most of the world had sanctions placed on South Africa. There was no firearms importation allowed, even sporting rifles/handguns.

The actual result of that was that SA developed a pretty innovative small arms industry due to having to fight a terrorist war on three fronts at the time.

At any rate there were some shooting clubs that had club owned guns that were used as "loaners" for target use on the range. When you checked one out you bought your ammo from the range and they kept track of the rounds put through the guns.

One of the clubs had two Ruger Standard Simi-auto .22lr pistols with a recorded 1,000,000+ rounds put through each of them over the course of several decades of sanctions. No parts breakage, and one instructor claimed that neither of them had ever been cleaned.

Back in 1959 a Remington rep named Tom Frye used 4 Remington Nylon 66 rifles and Remington "Golden Bullet" .22 ammo, to break 100,004 wooden blocks (he shot at 100,010), thrown into the air, in a two week endurance test. None of the rifles were cleaned during the test. He only missed 4 blocks. People were worried that a "plastic rifle" would not hold up back in '59. He had to use 4 rifles because they kept burning his hands and he had to let them cool off!

I am not a .22lr lover but I do have a dedicated .22 "survival rifle". Guess what it is?

I know several long range, and short range, target shooters that would have heart failure if you threatened to clean their rifles! They know it is going to take 20-100 rounds to get the bore back into pristine shooting condition.

Many shooting matches also allow a "fouling shot" to dirty up the bore a bit and check zero. There are also some Simi-auto rifles that do not shoot a bullet chambered by hand to the same point that they send a bullet chambered by the operating cycle.

Now Black powder is a different matter, but not as finicky as some believe. Of course I am speaking from the perspective of a person owning lots of PB Blaster and several bottles of carb and brake cleaner! I sometimes use carb cleaner to break up fouling so I can keep pushing loads down the bore, or keep the cylinder turning on my BP revolvers.

In some climates BP will rust on the way home, but I usually spray down my BP guns with WD40 just to prevent such things. They get the hot water treatment eventually, or they get run through the dishwasher if they will fit.

At any rate, I am not a phobic gun cleaner.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

The dishwasher…. Hmmmmmm? I wonder if I could get away with that?

Alan

Whatever works for anyone is best for them.

I used to compete here: http://www.pa1000yard.com. This was way back when life was a lot less expensive. There are 7000 grains in a pound; my BR rifle used 86.5 a shot or 81 shots per pound. At today's prices; no thanks.

Most competitive rifle shooters are anal about cleanliness. However, they also will shoot a few fouling shots to return the rifle to its peak accuracy before competing My BR rifle with as close to possible clean barrel shoots high.
    Others swear their rifle shoots the same no matter how dirty its bore is; however, mine don't and as mentioned it is about what works for me.

The Ruger 10/22 is fantastic; however, who has heard of the Remington Nylon 66?
    https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...nylon-66/99187

Because it was cheap blasting ammo; I used to shoot a lot of Russian ammo that is corrosive and I still have spam cans of it.

Here's an interesting article about .22 RF ammo:
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...ut-22-rimfire/

The best weapon cleaning areas I ever seen where in Vietnam. Each infantry company had a weapons cleaning area was equipped with tanks of solvent, cleaning rods, brushes and chamber brushes attached to a rod with a handle to scrub the chamber.. There was angled boards with a fine sandpaper to scrub the outer diameter of the M60's gas piston and a cutting tool that cleaned the carbon from its ports. Special bore brushes for the 40 mm grenade launchers.
    Each company had a 2nd echelon armorer who replaced any worn parts or addressed any issues, period.
    When the war fighters where in base camp? Although, there certainly wasn't any white glove inspections. Their weapons were the first thing they cleaned before getting drunk, hitting the PX (today's base exchange) or chasing the bar girls.

For many yearsI have used a method that works very well for me. I don't clean the bores or guts of 22 rifles. I keep my hunting rifles clear of grit or powder residue (but not squeaky clean). I will wipe the metal down with oil and the stock appropriate to its material. I clean the bores with Hoppes #9 and Mobile 1. Finally, I run an oil soaked (not dripping) through the bore and put it away. On the morning of the hunt I fun a dry rag through the bore and go hunting. The first shot is really all I'm worried about and my rifles are sighted for that shot from a cold, clean dry bore. In most cases the second shot, if there is one, is on target as well.

Guns that are not used regularly were cleaned long ago and require only a wipe down and a slightly oiled rag through the bore.

Shotguns are the same.

Contrary to common practices my EDC guns are kept in a functionally clean state. I hardly ever disassemble a firearm completely (or even partially) unless there is something wrong with it.

Alan

Infantry units in combat weapons see the extremes very few civilian firearms will ever see. Simply because there isn't a need. Very few of us including me will run magazine after magazine through a FA. I've seen a M60's "flash suppressor" warped from firing many rounds.

When I put a firearm into the safe; I use CLP or a similar product to protect the bare steel. Before I shoot it, I run a clean patch or two through the bore. As it isn't a competitive match shooting, no fouling shot or shots are required.

I'm well past anal when it comes to firearm's cleanliness because it is my choice. Again, whatever works for anyone works for them.