Thread: remington model 8

Default remington model 8

I recently picked up a remington model 8 in 35 remington. According to the serial number it was produced in 1913. I am in search of sling swivels for it. There are sling swivels made for the later models. The later models have a stud hole in the barrel shroud for a swivel. I'm thinking about either a barrel clamp swivel, something maybe for a 12 gauge. Judd is a brand that comes to mind. Or maybe use a solder on swivel. The rear swivel I'll use a screw in. I also need a rear sight for it. It has a flip up tang sight and that works well but is missing the barrel mounted rear sight.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I had never heard of it so I had to take a look. This youtube is pretty good. These guys offer up some good info including some information on the use of Swedish Mauser stripper clips for loading it. The vid runs 20 minutes but they do offer a lot of info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQp405iS_iQ

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

A reliable and durable auto-loader off the shelf in 1907. Ten years before we entered WW1.

That was before they made their pump rifle, and nearly 30 years before Remington's' first bolt action.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

The Remington Model 8 in .30 Remington was the rifle used by the great Texas Ranger, Frank Hamer, to kill the cowardly outlaws, Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker.

Worked just fine that day long ago.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I killed my first deer (and some number of them thereafter) with a Model 8 30 Rem. It originally belonged to my Greatgrandfather, then my grandfather, then me. My #3 son killed his first deer with it. It will be his some day.

I picked up another one in 35 Rem at a pawn shop about 25 years ago. It had been reworked into looking like an 81. It wasn't until I got to looking at it closely some years later that I realized it was a Model 8. My intention with it is to buy Model 8 furniture and put it back like it's supposed to be. It has a Fajen stock on it now with a comb. It's difficult to use iron sights with it. It's one of those "someday" projects.

Alan

thanks for the replies. I'm pleased with this acquisition, been wanting one for years. I checked the usual places for the sight with no luck.

I'll get a photo soon.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

When I'm looking for something from Numrich, I check every day if it is out of stock. After several months one will pop up and I grab it. That particular sight may be one that was a general use sight for a lot of rifles. If you call Numrich they might be able to dig up one that is the same.

Alan

thanks Alan, I'll do that.

I have a 81 in 300 Savage

I thought about a 81 but stumbled across this model 8. Perfect for me, it's been dabbled with so I don't need to worry about adding a sling or what ever. Someone installed a recoil pad and there are holes from a side mount scope mount. I'll plug those holes with screw plugs. The toe has been broken out and repaired.

Default Leather

Made a sling for lever action with cuff not to drill holes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks great.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Oh, sweet. That is nice.

that's awesome

The front has been replaced with a different style piece