Thread: Survival kit integrated into clothing...thoughts!

Default Survival kit integrated into clothing...thoughts!

Hi everybody! Coming to ya from Colorado. I'm new to this forum and am becoming increasingly intetested in bushcraft/survival techniques, kits, etc....I'm looking to put together some basic skills and equipment to get us (me, my wife, dog) out of a hairy situation if need be

I'm the outdoorsy type...hunt, fish, trap, mountain bike, ski, etc. pretty much the Colorado package plus some....

To my point...I wear pretty much the same basic clothing kit in the woods every time winter or summer. Beanie, base layers and shells top and bottom...more in winter

Thoughts on wardrobe integrated survival gear?...i.e. fishing kit, sewing kit, snare wire in the band of your beanie, fire kit in your winter coat, stuff integrated into pack boot linings, etc.

Looking forward to learning as much as I can from you all!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Welcome to WSF! I suppose you could sew tools into the linings of your clothes but I prefer to pocket carry a few things and keep the rest in packs and pouches. Interesting idea though.

All of it has been tried to one degree of success or another. That's why pockets are still on clothes. The best method for a couple of hundred years running has been bags of one type or another. Possibles bags and packs are tried and true. Whether you chose to use a modular design that you can break down for the length of stay you plan on or different bags for the same reason, bags have been pretty successful. If I can't put it in my pocket then it's in a bag. I don't fool with much of anything else. I've tried other things and always come back to pretty conventional methods. It's hard to reinvent the wheel in my opinion. Far better men than me have tried.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If God had not wanted us to wear cargo pants he would have put pockets on our legs!

I find that eventually I need to wash stuff!

That gets complicated when you have to rip the seams and remove your gear.

The one thing always in my pocket is a good pocket knife. Not a folding weapon or a multi-tool but an old fashioned pocket knife of yellow handled three blade variety. That is always there and is not going to be secreted away in the lining of anything. It has been a part of life since I was 4 years old and a habit that I do not intend to break.

However, I do have a belt I wove from about a mile and a half of 550 cord with a solid steel buckle and leather section to fasten into the buckle. That leather section sandwiches in an exacto knife blade and a small fire steel.

Now we reach the diversion between the old woodsman and the young "action adventure sportsman", You hike in, I buy a big @$$ Jeep and drive in!

Other gear is going into bags or pockets, in some circumstances boxes and crates and I keep a deer trolley in the Jeep so I do not have to actually carry the pack, box or crate.

Yes, there is the emergency gear I carry in the vehicles. It is always there waiting patiently sometimes for years between uses. The members of WSF could generally rebuild society with the gear in their rigs. I am not kidding! You should see some of the rigs this bunch owns. Crash had to put heavy duty springs in his Chevy. Incorporate into the clothing my sweet bippy!

Other EDC comes off and lives on the shelf by the door, but my EDC kit is probably different from some and includes one of several small pistols.

OK, sometimes a large pistol.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    All of it has been tried to one degree of success or another. That's why pockets are still on clothes. The best method for a couple of hundred years running has been bags of one type or another. Possibles bags and packs are tried and true. Whether you chose to use a modular design that you can break down for the length of stay you plan on or different bags for the same reason, bags have been pretty successful. If I can't put it in my pocket then it's in a bag. I don't fool with much of anything else. I've tried other things and always come back to pretty conventional methods. It's hard to reinvent the wheel in my opinion. Far better men than me have tried.
    Probably right Rick...no need to re-invent the wheel...survivalists do that enough as it is, LOL!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk