Thread: Coleman 9x11 8470-710 tent parts

Default Coleman 9x11 8470-710 tent parts

My big tent is still in good shape but the pole ends are starting to break. The crosspieces have a plastic end on them. There were four models of Oasis tents. I have the 9x11. My dad bought it in around 1965 and I've had it and used it since about 1980. It is in great shape, still sheds water, has been stitched up and repaired and generally subjected to excellent care. On my last outing this past weekend the plastic tips on the crosspieces for the frame broke. They are still usable but I'd like to replace them. Coleman made a canvas the that lasted 52 years and the plastic is the part that broke.

The part that broke is the part that slips into the grommet and then another plastic piece slides through the grommet and the an hole in the part that broke.

Hope you have some, or at least know what I'm talking about.

Does anyone know of a vintage Coleman parts distributor? I've found a couple but they don't do tents, just lanterns and stoves.

Thanks,

Alan

Check on page 47 for your part number.

http://light.papo-art.com/tech-n-inf...talogNo32E.pdf

Here is a resource BUT I'm sure it's not gonna be cheap.

http://tentpoletechnologies.com/

Call Coleman and tell them what you have. They might have old parts in stock or might be able to suggest an alternative replacement short of replacing the tent. The other option is to Google for that tent and check Craig's List and Ebay and hope to find one. Good luck.

Thanks. I'll try the links. I contacted Coleman yesterday and all they could tell me was that they didn't have those parts any more and they didn't know where to get them. I guess they were wanting this old cheapskate to buy a new tent!

Alan

I think the tentpole technologies might be kinda a last resort. The poles still work now but I think they'd likely come loose in a high wind (probably not the best time for them to come loose). I was thinking that if I could just buy new tips I could put them in myself. I don't guess that's going to happen. I may try my hand at cutting them out of aluminum stock. Then they'd outlast the tent.

I appreciate the links though and I'll keep them in case all else doesn't work out.

Alan

Know anyone with a 3D printer? They might be able to print you new ones using the old ones as a blueprint.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

What you want to bet that Alan can mold replacements using half cured JB Weld and a couple of nails?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Hard to imagine a good Texan that can't come up with a fix using duct tape and bailing wire. I mean, anything can be fixed with those two items. Throw in a can of WD-40 and you just made handy man status.

Do you know how hard it is to find actual bailing wire these days?

But, maybe the simplest ideas are the best. A length of #9 wire doubled over and bent into shape with a hole to insert the leg pin and the free ends inserted in the crosspiece.

Oh glued in place with JB weld and wrapped with duct tape to make it look nice!

Alan

Look nice? We don't need no stinkin' look nice. We're roughin' it. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Hey! That just the way I roll! I'm not uncivilized! If I'm going to go to all the time and trouble to customize a 50+ yr old tent, I'm not going to do it halfa$$ed. It's new duct tape or nuthin!

I wonder if I could make the whole tent out of duct tape?!

I gotta go to the hardware store, be back later...

Alan

I say go for it! I got faith in you Alan I think you can get that tent in good enough shape that one of your boys will unpack in in twenty years and scream, "what the he!! was Dad thinking?"

Or at least he'll turn to his brother and say,"one more thing we have to get rid of." But, hey, it'll still be around and that's what counts.

My kids will be saying strange things like;

I cant believe he owned one of those!

He never even unpacked this!

And the real goodie,

What the he!! is this thing and what does it do?