Thread: Making and using sulfur matches

Default Making and using sulfur matches

Hi all, been a while since I posted. Really enjoy using flint and steel for making fires and became curious how candles and oil lamps used to be lit using flint and steel. Sure I could just put a stick in a fire that was going and light the lantern that way but what if I wanted to skip the fire and get the lantern or candle going first. That's where the sulfur matches come in. They let one go from an ember direct to a small flame. Making them is really quite simple, just need to heat up some sulfur dust and melt it then coat the tip of a soft wood.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Some completed matches made from splinting down a 2x4 (soft pine)

Two small steel cans, bottom has slots in it and I place a charcoal or two in it.

Found some 90 percent sulfur dust at the local hardware store. Does not make a pretty yellow match but burns fine.

Here are some ready for coating made from splinting down a paint mix stick. Soft wood but not sure species.

A few notes, the sharp tip is very important, if you start one in low light it become clear why. A tiny blue flame starts at the tip when you touch it to an ember and grows until it sets the wood on fire.

They are a lot of fun to work with.
    Last edited by DCorlando; 12-27-2018 at 03:24 PM.

Cool. Gotta try that.

Found they are also useful for re-starting a fire. For example this morning I made a small fire for coffee and breakfast they went and did other things. Came back at lunch and found a small butter bean size coal that still had an ember in the left over ashes. Touched it with one of the sulfur matches and in short order had another fire ready to make lunch.

Thanks for sharing the technology! I gonna try it