Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wild Hog Hunting Report

Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I hate that you've not gotten a hog hunt in. Then again, I'm looking out the window at the remnants of the last snow and all the crappy rain. It's finally 30 degrees and we're past the sub zero temps and wind chills. You are in Florida, right? Enjoy.
    Life in Florida has been great. More and more days in the 80's while the kids text us about record lows, snow and ice. Never thought I would want to live in Florida. After making countless trips to the WMA I became rather fond of the area. Noticed a lot
    for sale across from the WMA and at the end of the road. No redneck residences in sight. Its on a canal and across from the WMA. Dead quiet all of the time and dark at night, no street lights in sight. I Visualize a cabin on stilts, screened in deck in front overlooking the canal, deck in rear setup for wild hog shooting. Thinking of Tossing all of my clothes and just owning shorts and tank tops, Flip flops for shoes. Big lot of an acre or more. 30K. When I show it to my wife I know she will just hate it!!!

Below could be my only picture of a wild hog for this year. I placed bait outside the WMA and sat in my car with my thermo imaging scope and watched for any activity. The hog appeared about 250 yards away. I also saw 2 deer and 2 other varmints of unknown species. Picture taken through the thermo scope.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 02-15-2019 at 07:19 AM.

Tool & Die Maker

After more than 12 weeks of hog hunting I finally had a shot last night and managed to miss. I had pictures of this hog the last 3 nights, over 200lb. I had a hunch he would show up early in the evening and he did, 7:15 pm. He must have winded me because he was about to exit the area before reaching the bait pile where I would of had a clear shot. Lots of trees and vegetation prevent a clear shot at the beast but I fired anyway and the hog ran off before I could get off another shot. We head back to Illinois 2 weeks from today (Unless we extend our stay in Florida). Not sure if i'll get another shot.

It has been an off year for wild hunting, even the locals can't explain why the wild hogs are our of sight. At first I thought my lease was to wet to attract and hold wild hogs eating acorns elsewhere. Could be someone has been trapping the hogs. There were so many last year could be someone was forced into trapping them.

I went scouting for wild hogs nearly everyday. Walked for miles on foot, rode my 10-speed mountain bike through miles of Wild life Management areas, drove my Ford Focus through places I shouldn't have, talked to lots of people. I lashed tree stands to my 10-speed bike and rolled them 1/2 mile out into the WMA. Worked amazingly well and I had the 10-speed to ride back to the parking lot. I'm becoming well known in the area for hunting wild hogs. People come up to me all the time asking me about my hunting adventures and telling me about theirs. People I have never met before seem to know me.

Below is the video shot through my thermo Imaging scope. Hope it is not my last. It is a YouTube video so it should play:

https://youtu.be/tI2BgtTzYaE
    Last edited by jim Glass; 02-24-2019 at 06:39 AM.

Tool & Die Maker

Edit 3/14/19: Even further insult, my leased property has been sold. The property owner said they would put in a good word for me to the new owners but I doubt I'll be hunting on that property next year.

Had a death in the family so I returned home 10 days early. Killed "0" hogs this year, they are not around. Thinking someone is trapping them. Tons of hogs last year and nearly not existent this year but plenty of deer. Boars seemed to wonder onto my lease, stay a day or two then leave. My trail cameras captured only 2 different hog pictures in 12 weeks and I think I took a shot at one of the two. The second hog only appeared on camera the one time. Never saw pairs or groups of hogs which is very unusual.

One of the other guys that hunt my lease managed to kill 2 hogs in 16 weeks.

Looking ahead to next year I plan to retool. The Wild life Management area seem to offer hunting potential. The 5000 acre Homosassa WMA had 20 wild hogs killed this year. I spent lots of time out there and a trail camera captured 13 hogs over a 5 day period. Not great but better than my leased property. Can't use bait or hunt at night, or use centerfire rifles on WMA. Looking at Google maps the area has 2 1/2 mile long areas of wilderness. Challenge will be finding the wild hogs but they are out there somewhere. Looking at buying a black powder rifle for hunting the WMA.

I'm pretty disappointed along with friends that wanted to go hunting. Not the first or last time I have been
    skunked in a sporting venture.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 03-14-2019 at 09:05 PM.