Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild Hog Hunting Report

Tool & Die Maker

Default Wild Hog Hunting Report

Placed out bait on 11/11, After ten days no hog signs and no trailcam pictures. The locals say the summer was so wet food supplies are abundant deep in the jungle. Spent Thanksgiving in Palm Coast
    Learned Palm Coast has a wild hog problem. Experts here say the swamps have elevated
    Water levels driving hogs out of swamps to higher ground like Palm Coast. Got me thinking Crystal River m
    had a storm surge from hurricane Michael. The hogs may have left because they were flooded out
    They will be back

The hogs are feeding on acorn's right now they don't get any thing from corn other than a full belly if you go out to some of these parking lots with oak tree and sweep up the acorns and put them out.

Tool & Die Maker

Heard the acorn theory before. Considered collecting some. My problem right now
    Is the hogs just aren’t out there. Normally people report seeing them almost every day

Where you hunt at is there a lot of scrub oaks?

Tool & Die Maker

I brewed up some mash and also placed out apples. I have had a trail camera on my bait pile for almost 4 weeks and not even a picture of a hog. Lots of deer, raccoons, possum on the camera, no hogs. The coyotes seem to have left the area. The deer or some animal enjoyed the apples though. I setup another bait pile and camera a half mile away and no activity at all on that camera not even a raccoon.

I rode my 10-speed bike through the Homosassa WMA and saw no wildlife at all even though the habitat looked ideal for hogs. Drove through the Gulf Hammock WMA, ideal habitat for hog but saw no evidences of hog activity. Met some hunters and they suggested
    Goethe state forest. Drove up hwy 121 and found rutting along the highway but not very much. In the past 4 weeks only 3 hogs were reported seen in the area, one in woods by a fellow hunter, 2 hogs seen crossing a highway into my lease. This is such a disappoint after last year when I saw hogs almost every day and night. Going back to Illinois for Christmas then return after Christmas.

If the hogs don't return after Chrstimas I'm taking up fishing.

Fishing for hogs is apt to be as disappointing as hunting for them. On the upside. If you do hook one they will probably put up one heck of a fight.

I roped one once. My idea was that as the hog tried to run away I could guide it with the tension on the rope. It all worked according to plan .... until the hog found the end of the rope. I found out that day that you can't "push" with a rope... I found out that I could run pretty fast too!

Alan

Everything here is eating acorns. We have a bumper acorn crop this year. Doesn't do any good to gather them and put them out for bait. There's just too many.

Alan

Tool & Die Maker

Last year hog hunting was amazing. Wife and I on our way out to dinner would drive past the bait pile, if you knew just where to look through the jungle could see hogs in the bait pile an hour before sundown. My wife was not the least bit impressed. With my thermo imaging scope I could see hogs in the bait pile walking out to the tree stand. I saw hogs during the day out of the corner of my eye while working on my blind. Reminds me I need to post a picture of the blind.

This month I can't even get a picture of a hog. I'll be back after Christmas, I hope the hogs have the acorn ate up by then. What I don't understand is deer like acorns so why do I have deer in my bait pile
    of corn but no hogs??

I built this blind single handedly. The roof was a new addition this year. The roof already kept me dry during a brief rain. The main idea of a roof was to keep the blind materials dry as possible.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The roof lowers to help shed water and resist winds.

Last is my AR-15 mounting for the blind. Those small brass thumb screws are for elevation adjustments. It also swivels for looking left and right. The Pulsar XQ38 thermo imaging scope has a WIFI connection so I can look through the scope with my cell phone while sitting in a padded lawn chair. That may sound good but it works best holding the rifle and viewing through the scope. All I need is some wild hogs

Last edited by jim Glass; 12-06-2018 at 07:20 AM.

There's your problem. The dang hogs have probably hacked your thermal imaging scope and are sitting at home looking at the bait pile too.

Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    There's your problem. The dang hogs have probably hacked your thermal imaging scope and are sitting at home looking at the bait pile too.
    Ya, probably eating a bowl of acorns at the same time. On the brighter side I heard hogs on a diet of
    acorns have the best tasting meat.

I'm thinking of conjuring up a way to collect acorns to use as bait for later in the spring or next year.
    I have seen round wire baskets with a handle made for collecting nuts. A couple of trees in the RV resort have dropped a few million acorns waiting to be collected. A friend suggested using a vacuum cleaner to pick them up or I could tough it out and simply rake them up
    Last edited by jim Glass; 12-06-2018 at 07:14 AM.

Find somebody in the RV park with little kids and give them a dollar for every basket they fill.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I coulda sworn I posted something about acorn mast fat on hogs, but I guess not.

Anyway, When we get good acorn years the hogs will just about eat nothing else and they wax fat like nobody's business! Our wild (feral) hogs down here won't hardly put on any fat any other way.

The acorn mast fat is almost pure white and they can put on as much as an inch across their hams,backs and sides. In years past I would give some good fat hogs to some of the older hispanic women and they would make tamales. They'd give me tamales for the meat. Not many women make tamales down here any more and they cost so much ($10/doz) that they just want to use minimal meat and maximum profit. The last time did it I provided all the meat and paid $2/doz for the making. Back in the day it didn't cost anything. Just half the meat paid for my tamales. You can make lots of tamales from a 300# hog.

It's been over five years since I've killed a deer or a hog. This year will likely be 6... I'm the only one who eats it in this house anyway. Easier just to buy pork chops.

Alan

Was out on the shore line and there are a lot of hogs there.

Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Was out on the shore line and there are a lot of hogs there.
    Can you tell me what shore line? Do you mean the Gulf shore line in general? I'm only 2 miles from the backwaters of the Gulf and 6 miles from the Gulf itself.

Yes the gulf shores line in between Yankee town and cedar key also devil's hammock they have been rooting up the ditch out side of it on State road 24

Tool & Die Maker

Ok, I have heard Cedar Key is Florida's "hog heaven". Was there last year and ran into a fellow hog hunter on the street. He bought
    30 acres just for a place to hog hunt. I would love to have a place at Cedar Key for hog hunting but that would be 60 miles away.

Heading back to Illinois Sunday where I'll plan my next wild hog attack for after Christmas. Plan to order some acorn hog bait. Several kinds out there for sale. Also some "sow urine". Thinking about some kind of bait delivery system.

Have a safe trip and a joyous holiday.

Tool & Die Maker

Now I have a trespasser caught on camera. This gives me a warm fuzzy feeling knowing someone is wondering around on my lease while I'm hunting at night.

Second picture, person must have been walking at a brisk pace. Can someone identify the card on the persons neck. It seems to have a distinct stripe on it. Guy may have been on public hunting ground then decided to check out my lease after dark so the card could be a hunting license or something.

Last edited by jim Glass; 12-11-2018 at 05:45 AM.

Does your camera flash or make a sound?

Alan