Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wild Hog Hunting Report

Tool & Die Maker

Has a infrared flash, easy to not see and the reaspasser was in a hurry

I guess if he had seen your camera he's have taken it or destroyed it.

Alan

Tool & Die Maker

Never know in Florida. Doubtful he knew I was in there. Not sure what i’ll Do if I catch him but it will be interesting. Last guy I met in the woods didn’t go well. The only reason there was no violence is because I kept my cool, I was conceal carrying at the time.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 12-09-2018 at 09:11 PM.

No reason for violence. He may have not known he was on a lease unless you have signs up. Of course that blind would be a good indication I guess. And the bait piles might be a clue. On second thought what the @#$# was he doing out there!

Report it to the owner of the property and let him deal with it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    No reason for violence. He may have not known he was on a lease unless you have signs up. Of course that blind would be a good indication I guess. And the bait piles might be a clue. On second thought what the @#$# was he doing out there!
    My lease is a 1/2 mile from end to end. The lease has no trespassing signs every 200 yards or so. That guys knows darn well he was trespassing. My blind is at the other end of the lease. Both areas normally hold wild hogs. My plan is to drive around at night with my thermo imaging scope and try to see the guy. A human should be easy to see through the scope. No rifle though. If I see the guy, I'll call the police and catch him in the act at that time. I know from experience the cops have a quick response time there. There is probably a pickup truck parked somewhere to look for. I know most of the cars and trucks in the area, a knew one will be easy to spot. I can hear guns shots in the area from where my camper is parked in the RV resort.

Unfortunately I'm shivering again in Northern Illinois.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 12-10-2018 at 06:05 PM.

Are hunters to trespassing what smokers are to littering?
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

They sure are. Wait...what?

Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeePettimore View Post
    In some areas this could be true. I always had the understanding trespassing while hunting was a serious offense. Since I'm not interested in going to court or paying fines I always worked and played within the parameters of the law. Plus I conducted boating and hunting safety course for the Illinois DNR for many years and felt I needed to also set a good example. In Illinois it would be difficult to trespass without being seen or heard firing a gunshot without someone hearing the report, eventually you will be caught.

At the same time I have known people to commit serious offenses (Like credit card fraud) and receive very light sentences from the court. People on another forum claim trespassing penalties are very light and well worth the risk so who knows for sure. I did hear for a criminal trespass charge the defendant must appear in court, must have an attorney and most likely miss work. So even if the defendant wins he losses. Not the way I want to spend my money.

In Florida: Trespass while in possession of a firearm is a felony punishable by imprisonment for up to five years and/or a fine up to $5,000.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 12-11-2018 at 04:13 PM.

The more serious consequence to his actions is that somebody could get killed. While we all ensure the target that we are shooting at, does he do the same? Does he shoot at movement? If he has a blatant disregard for hunting regulations, my guess is that he is not a disciplined hunter.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeePettimore View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    They sure are. Wait...what?
    You know the saying: "Smokers: the world is their ashtray."

Based on many YouTube videos, forum posts, and personal conversations, it seems to me that large numbers of hunters think the world is their hunting ground, regardless of ownership.

Not a judgment on hunting. Just an observation about hunters. I know hunters that respect property rights. But there are a lot more hunters that I don't know.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

What Crash said. If they will trespass, hunting out of season, at night, with illegal arms or other safety regulations probably mean nothing to them.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

Tool & Die Maker

It isn't just smokers or hunters. Dog walkers think the world is their dogs toilet. Then there are fisherman fishing from shore that leave trash behind when they leave because the outdoors is their trash can. I have heard countless property owners willing to share their property with others and the guests leave trash behind, cut fences, leave gates open, livestock killed or injured and the list goes on and on and we wonder why land owners want others to stay off their property.

People are idiots about the outdoors because they have never been anywhere or with someone that might teach them something.
    I learned about the outdoors when I was in Boy Scouts, made it all the way to Eagle Scout, (1966). Lived the scout way all my life. People ask me why I do things like picking up trash, helping people, my answer is an easy one, "Because I'm and Eagle Boy Scout". If you were never in scouts you probably wouldn't understand.

Congratulations, Jim, on earning your Eagle Scout. No small accomplishment and you have my respect for your achievement. My nephew is an Eagle Scout and when he interviewed at the electrical hall for apprentice lineman he told them his greatest accomplishment was earning his Eagle Scout award. One of the guys at the table doing the interview asked, "What the F is an Eagle Scout?" One of the other guys at the table doing the interview looked at him and said, "I'm an F'in' Eagle Scout." End of discussion. Yeah, some folks just don't understand.

I agree with you 100%, jim.

Congratulations on earning the Eagle. [gives three finger salute]

I made it to Star, but I quit. I quit a lot of things when I was young. I don't quit any more, but I learned some hard lessons farther down the road than I should have.

Tool & Die Maker

Thanks Rick. People don't realize scouting is about working and learning and having fun as a consequence. The very thing young people don't connect with and need the most. Been over 50 years since I was awarded the Eagle badge and I remember earning all 21 of those merit badges. People see me using a compass, tying knots, using a block and tackle and ask where I learned those things. The boy scouts are part of what made me who and what I am. As an adult the Eagle Scout award has often been my
    key to opportunities

Oh yeah, I agree with this totally.
    Our DNR has told the public that "if the trash continues, the stocking will stop." So that has really helped the leftovers from the fishing, but those who go to the lakes and sit and just look, still leave behind their Beer Cans, and there are many trash cans around the lakes too.
    I read a post on Facebook about a Parade, Hot chocolate cups being left on the ground after the parade, and what could be done about it. I suggested the city put out more trash cans, but only on the night/evening of the parade. If they left them out, people would be saving money by depositing their personal trash in said cans.
    Don't know if the suggestions will be taken, but I did add that people who are not taught anything about personal respect, aren't going to respect anything else either.
    And yes, those dogs who are allowed to go potty anywhere and not cleaned up afterwards, their owners are disrespecting their own world too. So sad!!!!
    Merry Christmas Y'all!!!!!!

Tool & Die Maker

Don't know what is wrong with people littering, I would never think of it. One of the Eagle Boy Scout good deeds I do in Florida is clean up along the highways boardering my hunting lease. Unbelievable the trash I collect, even found a working cell phone and a new fishing lure last year. It's good P.R. for the locals see me picking up trash. 1/4 mile of road fills one large trash bag. Another thing I do is tell people when they have a brake light not working, it's easy if I'm on the motorcycle. Told my wife I was pulling along side a car with a brake light out and to tell the other driver about it. Should have heard her whine and grown, "do I have to"? Told her she married me, makes her an Eagle Scout to. After she spoke to the driver I asked her if she now has a warm fuzzy feeling inside? Her reply, "I guess".
    Last edited by jim Glass; 12-12-2018 at 09:13 AM.

About once a month I'll hook the little garden trailer behind the mower and make the block picking up trash. I'll usually get a trailer load. I try to do it on Sunday morning when the main culprits will hear the mower running outside their house while I pick up one piece of trash at a time with my grabbers. I think I'm only pretending they hear it and that they care. I guess they really think they are doing me a favor though, because there's always more trash...

Alan

I used to work in people's homes...a long time ago. Trust me. Their homes look no better. They throw stuff down in them too and they don't pick up after themselves. Big Foot would have raised them better. For those of you that work in peoples homes, I know you know what I'm talking about.

As for Hunter, I wonder how many times the fire department as been called in Heaven? (chuckle).

St. Peter: Stop with the flint and steel already.
    Hunter: How was I supposed clouds burned? Do you guys have Karaoke?